Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by Pilot »

Well, some more from me, as I had a meeting up in Carnforth today.

0816 Manchester Piccadilly to Preston on 156489 and 156471, ran via Bolton, service terminated at Preston, however, I believe this is one that would normally run to Blackpool (the current blockade means service can't go that way).
1003 Preston to Carnforth hauled by 37401, pictured just prior to departure from Carnforth - Always nice to get this diagram in, especially as it appears at least one set will go over to Class 68 running soon.
20180123_103836.jpg
(4.24 MiB) Not downloaded yet
1423 Carnforth to Lancaster on 156484. My meeting had finished at 1300, however, I just missed the 1305 train, meaning an hour and 18 minute wait at Carnforth - popped into the Cafe and had a brew to waste some time!
1439 Lancaster to Wigan North Western on 390002 - fairly busy, and the quiet coach wasn't really quiet...
1559 Wigan North Western to Manchester Piccadilly on 350409 - really frustrated by this one, as I know the TPE southbound in front of this was 350402, the only TPE 350 that I'm yet to travel on. Ah well!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:Well, some more from me, as I had a meeting up in Carnforth today.

0816 Manchester Piccadilly to Preston on 156489 and 156471, ran via Bolton, service terminated at Preston, however, I believe this is one that would normally run to Blackpool (the current blockade means service can't go that way).
1003 Preston to Carnforth hauled by 37401, pictured just prior to departure from Carnforth - Always nice to get this diagram in, especially as it appears at least one set will go over to Class 68 running soon.
20180123_103836.jpg
1423 Carnforth to Lancaster on 156484. My meeting had finished at 1300, however, I just missed the 1305 train, meaning an hour and 18 minute wait at Carnforth - popped into the Cafe and had a brew to waste some time!
1439 Lancaster to Wigan North Western on 390002 - fairly busy, and the quiet coach wasn't really quiet...
1559 Wigan North Western to Manchester Piccadilly on 350409 - really frustrated by this one, as I know the TPE southbound in front of this was 350402, the only TPE 350 that I'm yet to travel on. Ah well!
Crank.

Although, I've managed to make the 09.26 from Bicester to Brum a fairly regular occurrence for me recently which gives me a) a lie in b) pretty much a whole MK3 to myself.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Pilot wrote:Well, some more from me, as I had a meeting up in Carnforth today.

20180123_103836.jpg
Well at least the neighbours will be pleased.
Last edited by Pilot on 24 Jan 2018 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotation marks

"Why don't we just load her up like one of those little horses?"
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I not game to do any train travelling at the moment.

They have new timetables for the Sydney and Newcastle train services and not enough drivers to work them all.

Been a few cancellations so I wait a few more weeks till they sort them selves out before I travel again.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:Crank.

Although, I've managed to make the 09.26 from Bicester to Brum a fairly regular occurrence for me recently which gives me a) a lie in b) pretty much a whole MK3 to myself.
Not my fault my boss arranged the meeting so that the 10:03 was the ideal train for me... not that I was going to complain either :D As you can imagine though, any train with a 37 is generally quite busy, and the Mk 2 nearest the locomotive was rather full.
Arch9enius wrote:Well at least the neighbours will be pleased.
Meh, I would imagine that you don't move to Carnforth and not expect noise from trains. That being said though, the 37s don't hit much more than 10mph on the curve through the station, so aren't even that loud, whilst the 68s that are replacing them aren't the quietest things themselves.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Arch9enius wrote:Well at least the neighbours will be pleased.
Meh, I would imagine that you don't move to Carnforth and not expect noise from trains. That being said though, the 37s don't hit much more than 10mph on the curve through the station, so aren't even that loud, whilst the 68s that are replacing them aren't the quietest things themselves.
I've seen local newspaper reports from folks who live where the 37s are stabled. Seems to always be the same pair, they are clearly not people who like to post 'clag' videos on YouTube. Shame really

Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Co ... cfcb3be-ds

Didn't they hide the Metro-Vicks somewhere up in that part of the world? Those things were reputedly dog rough, though you'd have to go to Australia to see one running now. It could be a lot worse is what I'm saying.

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, I've read this article, and noticed a couple of issues.

1) There is no 0230 train like they are complaining about, if it does run, it is likely an STP or VSTP Flask train, and not one of Northern's services. The Flask trains 9 times out of 10 are now hauled by Class 68s from what I see. Obviously the article is from Jan 2017, where it may have been timetabled, but even then, one train in the middle of the night isn't the loudest.
2) The first loco-hauled Northern diagram out of Barrow isn't until 08:06, most people are awake at this time, and the locomotive comes from Carlisle, meaning there is no start-up time in Barrow.
3) This
The couple were frustrated to learn that Sprinter trains that had been in Barrow went sent to Chiltern
is just pure BS. The only trains to be sent to Chiltern from the North in the last... well, forever really, was TPEs 9 Class 170 units. These were generally only used on Manchester Piccadilly - Hull and Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes trains, so have had no impact on Barrow whatsoever. The 170s were replaced by 185s released from MAN-Scotland duties by the Electric 350s.

It just sounds like the mentality a lot of older people have when they have nothing to do but sit at home all day... let's make a nothing story up... That particular railway station has been in that location since 1882, longer than they've been alive. You don't move next to a railway and expect not to see and hear trains on a 24 hour railway, surely?
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

I got the impression they were referring to the startup of a morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_cGG56QA4

But if you've got your windows open on a day like that, you deserve everything that's coming to you, including a horde of migrating snowmen. It would no doubt start almost on the button if it was 30deg outside. (Someone who worked on these things please confirm, and also if it was really the practice to thin waxy Diesel out with kerosene...)

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:
So, I've read this article, and noticed a couple of issues.

1) There is no 0230 train like they are complaining about, if it does run, it is likely an STP or VSTP Flask train, and not one of Northern's services. The Flask trains 9 times out of 10 are now hauled by Class 68s from what I see. Obviously the article is from Jan 2017, where it may have been timetabled, but even then, one train in the middle of the night isn't the loudest.
2) The first loco-hauled Northern diagram out of Barrow isn't until 08:06, most people are awake at this time, and the locomotive comes from Carlisle, meaning there is no start-up time in Barrow.
Given that signal box opening hours for North of Barrow (https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-conten ... -Times.xls) preclude operating overnight operation to Sellafield I doubt it was a flask train. Barrow - Carnforth is open 24hours but Park South, the first SB north of Barrow is only open 05:20 - 23:20 and they only shut earlier north of there.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:Given that signal box opening hours for North of Barrow preclude operating overnight operation to Sellafield
I somehow completely forgot about that, and I very much doubt NR would fancy opening the boxes for one train in a night when it would require manning 5/6. I know they certainly won't do it for us, and open the 13/14 boxes that do close to allow us to run at 20mph along there.

So yeah, god knows what the 02:30 train is.
Arch9enius wrote:I got the impression they were referring to the startup of a morning.
As I said in my previous post, both 37 diagrams start from Carlisle in the morning, so no start-up is required at Barrow until later in the day. One set gets taken out of use at Barrow around 11:30 (the 10:03 Preston set), goes into yard, and then sits until doing an additional off Barrow at around 14:30 - that'd be your only 37 start up in Barrow barring anything off of the Marine Terminal.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

The mystery thickens. ... Image

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well, I was asked down to Milton Keynes last minute to attend a meeting yesterday.

1015 Manchester Piccadilly to Milton Keynes Central on 390112, hit one heck of a bump in the track on the Up Fast just north of Lichfield North Jn, before I could even see the buffers for the CE Sidings.
1450 Milton Keynes Central to Manchester Piccadilly on 390119. I've noticed a few of the Pendolino's in the older livery have had their coupling cover repainted ready for the new livery, including this one. I wonder if it's because they've hit birds and been stained by blood or something.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Pilot wrote:Well, I was asked down to Milton Keynes last minute to attend a meeting yesterday.
Shouldn't that be up to Milton Keynes? :lol:
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JamieLei wrote:
Pilot wrote:Well, I was asked down to Milton Keynes last minute to attend a meeting yesterday.
Shouldn't that be up to Milton Keynes? :lol:
Yes, it probably should! I did at least make reference to travelling on the up lines whilst MK bound. :D Still, sounds wrong saying "up to MK" when you're in the North! :lol:

Oh, one thing that annoyed me on arriving at MKC was that, as people were trying to get off the train, this old dear was trying to barge her way on. What happened to letting people off before trying to board yourself?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Currently between Den Haag CS and Delft. Not much to say.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Adwick - Leeds, Northern 321.
Leeds - Halifax, Northern 158.
Halifax - Leeds, Northern 144.
Leeds - Adwick, Northern 322.

Took my 3 yr old daughter to Eureka at Halifax. Bloody good day out.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Pilot wrote:Oh, one thing that annoyed me on arriving at MKC was that, as people were trying to get off the train, this old dear was trying to barge her way on. What happened to letting people off before trying to board yourself?
Because the train's leaving NOW! NOWNOWNOW! And there's not another one for an HOUR! It's a good job that (when they do open) the entire window doesn't drop like on foreign trains, or I'd be walking over peoples' laptops.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Back going to Italy. After a flight from Rotterdam to Geneva and a day in Geneva, this night i'm at Milano, after having taken the EC "Monteverdi".
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arch9enius wrote:
Pilot wrote:Oh, one thing that annoyed me on arriving at MKC was that, as people were trying to get off the train, this old dear was trying to barge her way on. What happened to letting people off before trying to board yourself?
Because the train's leaving NOW! NOWNOWNOW! And there's not another one for an HOUR!
Even worse when I'm getting off at MKC, the next stop is Euston, and there isn't another train there for a grand total of 13 minutes! :lol:

Seriously though, it is quite frustrating, and probably causes delays with loading/unloading.
acs121 wrote:Back going to Italy. After a flight from Rotterdam to Geneva and a day in Geneva, this night i'm at Milano, after having taken the EC "Monteverdi".
Sounds pretty cool, makes me want to do some of the later trains around Europe, must get an InterRail pass methinks! £363 pounds for 22 days on the trains is a pretty decent price! Also, I noticed earlier in the week, you also posted about a journey whilst you were still on it, you know there's a separate topic for that too? Your CURRENT train journey, just in case you want to post more of your European travellings whilst still on them :)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”