Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by Pilot »

acs121 wrote:Class 66 locomotives also can haul heavy loads, but they're not meant for passenger service :D
They certainly have a "passenger" mode for the brakes - and have on many occasions hauled railtours. Not sure how good they would be on regular stop start, and I'm pretty sure that they can't supply ETS, which is why the Caledonian Sleeper has seen a 66+73 Combination hauling it for a while, with the 73 supplying the ETS, whilst the 66 hauls the train.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well i think that on most lines with direct / semi-direct service in France, like Lyon ↔ Bordeaux, Paris ↔ Clermont-Ferrand or Paris ↔ Boulogne-sur-Mer, the brake would be unpleasant for most of us passengers. Despite having taken some passenger trains sometimes, a Class 66 is meant to freight traffic.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

I've seen pictures of egyptian trains hauled by 66s, and the Irish 201 class is basically a 66. Though they break down a hell of a lot so I don't know what they are doing to them. Anyone taken a train journey recently?

"Why don't we just load her up like one of those little horses?"
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arch9enius wrote:Irish 201 class is basically a 66. Though they break down a hell of a lot so I don't know what they are doing to them.
The 201s on the Enterprise appear to have had their reliability improve quite a lot, after the addition of the Generator Car.

Anyway, a couple of rail journeys that I've made in the last few days.

Friday 8th December
1144 Berlin-Schönefeld to Berlin Friedrichstrasse on Talent 2s 442 641 and 442 134 (RE7 Train).
1356 Kochstrasse to Stadtmitte on 2954, 2898 and 2781 (U6 U-Bahn).
1403 Stadtmitte to Alexanderplatz on 1019 and 1024 (U2 U-Bahn).
1431 Alexanderplatz/Dircksenstrasse to Mollstrasse/Prenzlauer Allee on 4002 (M2 Tram).

Saturday 9th December
0950 Alexanderplatz to Kotbusser Tor on 2590, 2584 and 2647 (U8 U-Bahn).
1005 Kotbusser Tor to Schlesisches Tor on 553, 583 and 601 (U1 U-Bahn).
1030 Warschauer Strasse to Zoologischer Garten on 482 374-6 (S3 S-Bahn).
1101 Zoologischer Garten to Olympiastadion on 1091 (U2 U-Bahn).
1205 Olympiastadion to Zoologischer Garten on 531, 555, 637 and 619 (U2 U-Bahn).
1302 Zoologischer Garten to Alexanderplatz on 482 019-7 (S9 S-Bahn).
1319 Alexanderplatz/Dircksenstrasse to Mollstrasse/Prenzlauer Allee on 9064 (M2 Tram).
1857 Alexanderplatz/Dircksenstrasse to Mollstrasse/Prenzlauer Allee on 4027 (M2 Tram).

Sunday 10th December
0949 Alexanderplatz to Berlin Hauptbahnhof on 482 105-4 (S5 S-Bahn).
1004 Hauptbahnhof to Brandenburger Tor on 2020 (U55 U-Bahn).
1027 Brandenburger Tor to Friedrichstrasse on 482 087-4 (S2 S-Bahn).
1031 Friedrichstrasse to Alexanderplatz on 482 076-8 (S7 S-Bahn).

Monday 11th December
1011 Alexanderplatz to Friedrichstrasse on 482 215-1 (S7 S-Bahn).
1128 Brandenburger Tor to Hauptbahnhof on 2001 (U55 U-Bahn).
1141 Hauptbahnhof to Alexanderplatz on 482 170-8 (S7 S-Bahn).
1702 Alexanderplatz/Dircksenstrasse to Mollstrasse/Prenzlauer Allee on 4032 (M2 Tram).

Tuesday 12th December
0723 Berlin Alexanderplatz to Berlin-Schönefeld on 442 334 and 442 139 (RB14 Train).

1300 Manchester Airport to Manchester Oxford Road on 350408 (1300 MIA-GLC).
1338 Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Victoria on 158752 (1338 MCO-LDS via the Ordsall Chord).
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

What was the purpose on heading to Berlin? Was it just a mini-holiday?
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Yesterday, i got from Villeneuve-Saint-Georges (Paris suburbs) to Paris Gare de Lyon. Not much exciting, except the part near the Bercy-La Râpée freight station...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Nordic Dragon wrote:What was the purpose on heading to Berlin? Was it just a mini-holiday?
Yep, just a holiday. Lot's of drink and food were had! 3rd year in a row I've been to Berlin now, and 2nd in a row visiting the Christmas Markets there.
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Salisbury to Swindon and return, Avoiding London direction in case of digging the track up for Christmas

After some hurried trying to spell 'Swindon' on the ticket machine, boarded GWR 158 out of Salisbury, with the intention of getting off at Westbury for a Swindon train as I have changed there previously coming from the west country. (The ticket machine thought I should change at Trowbridge instead.) Fairly crowded, one passenger had a near constant cough that was not the worst annoyance I have experienced from another passenger so meh... On the way out of Salisbury a South Western Railway 158/9 was painted up like a boiled sweet.

There was some movement from yellow track-bothering machines at Westbury, which is 3 platforms in the middle of a load of sidings for ballast / stone trains etc. People were milling about confused because the Portsmouth train was also in and the platforms had been changed apparrently.

A single 153/ Pacers' big brother appeared empty from among the sidings and formed the Swindon train. Noisy, but didn't judder under accelleration like its' 4-wheeled sibling. Anyone who likes Diesel thrash would \,,/ -.- \,,/. Trowbridge didn't appear much of a place to wait for a change of train, though UKIP and ISIS were up a tree, k.i.s.s.i.n.g... I think the book Brief Enconter was based on was set at one of these small stations, not Carnforth like the movie. The single line looked to follow a defunct canal like the Salisbury - Romsey line, although this one was bigger. Joining the main line around Chippenham electrification masts appeared sporadically , and after Chippenham the ?train? passed a pair of the new Hitachis going in the other direction. Things became loud now.

Swindon station is overlooked by an office tower that appears to be mostly boarded up. The homeless population really should get together and pull a mass squat in that place. Assuming it's not full of asbestos.

Arriving for the return journey, this time a two-car 150 unit was waiting in the bay platform. GWR must have examples of pretty much every former BR unit still running except the 159. It appeared to be set up for 'metro' type service, though there was a toilet somewhere. This was not as loud as the tin sprinter and more spacious than the 158s. Though when IC125s passed in the other direction, the thump from the combined slipstreams kept you awake.

Both cars were needed as this journey had standees, though some nobster reserved the seat next to him for a cup of grapes.. :? Saw there was actually a waiting room at Trowbridge this time, but changed at Westbury anyway.

Got a turkey and bacon pasty at the kiosk, which was more welcoming than the waiting room on platform one. Caught the SWR train to Waterloo from there, originating from Bristol probably. On the way out two more 153s were parked in sidings. The train was not full, and I think it was to join with another 159 at Salisbury.

Jony1(Yosselko)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jony1(Yosselko) »

Marseille Saint Charles - Paris East Station 2h26
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Isn't it rather Paris Gare de Lyon ? Or did you take the RER D ? Trains from Marseille don't go at Paris Gare de l'Est :D
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arch9enius wrote:GWR must have examples of pretty much every former BR unit still running except the 159.
Nope, they don't have 142s (FGW used to have some), 144s, 155s (The 153s were however formed from some of these) or 156s either, nor any of the ex-BR electric units.
Arch9enius wrote:Avoiding London direction in case of digging the track up for Christmas
Arch9enius wrote:yellow track-bothering machines
I don't get your mentality here, you appear to be very anti-maintenance, but at the same time, appear to like using the railways. Without the maintenance you wouldn't be able to use the railways or would have severe delays to your journey. Those "yellow track-bothering machines" (as you so put it) are a vital part of railway safety, as are all those men and women out there working other Christmas, whilst you're all cosy inside, so spare a thought for them.
Arch9enius wrote:Swindon station is overlooked by an office tower that appears to be mostly boarded up. The homeless population really should get together and pull a mass squat in that place.
And if they damaged something on their way into it, that would become Illegal, and as it's boarded up, they would likely have to remove and damage the boards to gain access (Source)

----
Jony1(Yosselko) wrote:Marseille Saint Charles - Paris East Station 2h26
TGV one must presume? Are the comfortable, and how reasonably priced are they?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Speaking of the homeless, I wonder if next year I can try organising with Network Rail to host a huge sleep over during the two days the rail network doesn't run over xmas. Leeds especially has a huge set of concourses (not including platform areas) that'd fit a lot of peoples sleeping bags, and still have room to act as a soup kitchen for the days, if we had enough support to fund it and enough volunteers to maintain it and do it safely / securely to deal with any potential issues.

I believe Euston will host something on 25th December for the homeless, i'm not sure who funded it and how much involvement Network Rail had, assumably some though, as its their property.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Pilot wrote:
Jony1(Yosselko) wrote:Marseille Saint Charles - Paris East Station 2h26
TGV one must presume? Are the comfortable, and how reasonably priced are they?
Depends on the TGV, the Sud-Est and Réseau aren't that comfortable, but Duplex are very comfortable.

For the price, if i want to take a TGV on 1st January at 7h19 AM, it costs 97€ ;)
Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Arch9enius wrote:GWR must have examples of pretty much every former BR unit still running except the 159.
Pilot wrote:Nope, they don't have 142s (FGW used to have some), 144s, 155s (The 153s were however formed from some of these) or 156s either, nor any of the ex-BR electric units.
Still, it's quite a collection. Does any other TOC have a bigger one? And weren't the 155s entirely converted to single cars?
Arch9enius wrote:Avoiding London direction in case of digging the track up for Christmas
Arch9enius wrote:yellow track-bothering machines
Pilot wrote:I don't get your mentality here, you appear to be very anti-maintenance, but at the same time, appear to like using the railways. Those "yellow track-bothering machines" (as you so put it) are a vital part of railway safety, as are all those men and women out there working other Christmas, whilst you're all cosy inside, so spare a thought for them.
Good luck to 'em, I reckon the unsociable hours they're racking up pay off Christmas. Of course I'm not anti-maintainance. I remember when train crashes were a yearly event. It's no concidence we had 9 years w/out a mainline accident causing loss of life, and I (only recently) started to use the train again, mainly to visit the west country. I was just on a time budget, and alert to the fact they tear up the railways around Christmas. And the 'yellow track-bothering machines'? I simply have no idea what they do.
Arch9enius wrote:Swindon station is overlooked by an office tower that appears to be mostly boarded up. The homeless population really should get together and pull a mass squat in that place.
Pilot wrote:And if they damaged something on their way into it, that would become Illegal, and as it's boarded up, they would likely have to remove and damage the boards to gain access (Source)

Well yes, but it's not as if they have anything to lose. And it has been done before, albeit in more straightened circumstances.

Arch9enius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arch9enius »

Redirect Left wrote:Speaking of the homeless, I wonder if next year I can try organising with Network Rail to host a huge sleep over during the two days the rail network doesn't run over xmas.
That's a more constructive idea I guess. I just don't like seeing empty buildings. Even 1960s utilitarian ones.

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Arch9enius wrote:Still, it's quite a collection. Does any other TOC have a bigger one?
Yes, Northern have 11 types of ex-BR units (142, 144, 150, 153, 155, 158, 319, 321, 322 and 323), versus GWRs 6 types (143, 150, 153, 158, 165 and 166).
Arch9enius wrote:And weren't the 155s entirely converted to single cars?
Nope, 7 Class 155s remained after the conversion. I believe the 7 that did remain were/are owned by West Yorks Metro, who refused to allow them to be cut down.
Arch9enius wrote:Good luck to 'em, I reckon the unsociable hours they're racking up pay off Christmas.
I'm sure the majority would still rather be home with families, a beer and warmth! :wink:
Arch9enius wrote:And the 'yellow track-bothering machines'? I simply have no idea what they do.
We have a variety yellow machines. Some are simply out there to check that all the clearances remain, and nothing has shifted, or that there are no defects. Others grind the rail to ensure it maintains the correct profile. Others are tampers, which ensure that the Ballast is properly packed, so as to make sure the rails remain in the correct places, and so on and so forth.
acs121 wrote:For the price, if i want to take a TGV on 1st January at 7h19 AM, it costs 97€ ;)
Ah, that's not too badly priced, a standard class ticket for me to travel down to London at 0735 on Jan 1st, a comparable length journey, would cost me £82.90 (€93.40), so a little cheaper than over there, however, I wouldn't be travelling as far, as our trains only do 125mph. Though, as it currently stands, I could get a First Class single for £45 (€50.70) as part of an offer, so that's quite a decent deal!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, you english and american fellows don't have any highspeed dedicated line, except the Folkestone ↔ London line.
Meanwhile, in France and Germany our highspeed lines are numberous, and for cause, the TGV / ICE can run on electrified track, but can't reach max speeds due to presence of suburban / regional trains and weight.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Code: Select all

All of a sudden, HS2
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Canting the track slightly more at curves also works. Also, flying junctions. And Intercity APT...

On actual train journey note :

Nothing yet ! However, we're getting more trains coming, soon-ish !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

acs121 wrote:Well, you english and american fellows don't have any highspeed dedicated line, except the Folkestone ↔ London line.
Meanwhile, in France and Germany our highspeed lines are numberous, and for cause, the TGV / ICE can run on electrified track, but can't reach max speeds due to presence of suburban / regional trains and weight.
Mmm. I wasn't that impressed when I went on a tgv - Geneva to Paris, there were only 7 or so trains a day? I think in general we have a higher frequency of intercity trains in the UK compared to french tgv. High frequency is often more useful than high speed..
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”