Your Last Train Journey?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Your Last Train Journey?

Post by Badger »

yorkie wrote:
Badger wrote:
yorkie wrote:My last journey was a return from Adwick to Donny, outwards on a Pacer and returning on a well presented class 321 from Donny to Adwick, from where I got a lift to York.
My local station...
...was the last 'required' shack on that branch for me! :lol:

Also a bit unusual in that it was staffed, but the person behind the counter was a PTE employee who couldn't sell tickets.

(I don't really specifically go out to do stations though, but if there's a reasonable excuse to get a new one done, I'll do it :wink: )
He is utterly pointless! Adwick is actually "Adwick Interchange" according to SYPTE on account that about 4 buses an hour divert off the main road to stop there. Nonsense I tell thee, nonsense!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

St Pancras to St Pancras International. Recently there's been a lot of growth on the High Speed from Stratford due to Oyster PAYG now accepted (but not on Travelcard!) Saw a fellow passenger flash a GTR pass this morning; thought of Geo!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Guessing you mean Stratford to St Pancras? I'd like to see you catch a train from domestic side to International side.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

JamieLei wrote:Saw a fellow passenger flash a GTR pass this morning; thought of Geo!
Aw bless ya ;)
I've barely used my pass so far. Apart from on my own route obviously :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Took my girlfriend and her daughter to Cannon Hall Farm (A rather nice day out for children if you're in the West or South Yorkshire areas), hopped aboard a 155 from Wakefield Kirkgate to Barnsley.
Have to say though, the 155s (155344 specifically for my journey) are very tired looking. Looks as if the recent refurb programs have skipped over the 155s, or they were rushed. Paintwork and internal metal work dented to hell and back, some areas had the paint entirely missing, even some of the Pacers are looking to be in better nick internally than some 155s.

Journey back to Batley was a nice 158 though, I still love the 158s, despite their age they are in really good nick inside and out. Especially considering the youngest of them are only 2 years older than the 'newest' 142s!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Run an errand few days ago, on the local commuter line. Even that now it got 12-car sets (50% increase in carriage from 8-cars), it's still filled to the brim, more even as one needs to push and be pushed to get in ! That's for the morning - for the evening, had to wait for another train as the one just arrived is full, and one needs to fight to get in - then the next one is full too with the passenger from that station only (terminating service), and that's 12 car ! Seems like people really use the train nowadays, more so than a few years ago... Or is it just my timing bad (6:00 for the morning and 18:30 for the evening) that I went in right at the weekday rush hour ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Been up to York and back today.

Highlight of my day is hearing a young kid in a family on the train saying "Mummy.. has anyone killed Donald Trump yet?"

That.. was worth the 3 hour journey!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: Highlight of my day is hearing a young kid in a family on the train saying "Mummy.. has anyone killed Donald Trump yet?"
You hear all sorts of jems up North :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

This was from London! :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:This was from London! :lol:
Aw, it's the sort of stuff I'd have expected you to hear after the North border on your journeys :p
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Geo Ghost wrote:Highlight of my day is hearing a young kid in a family on the train saying "Mummy.. has anyone killed Donald Trump yet?"
Must be future British MP of some sort. Or Nigel Farage replacement...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just got off 43239 at Wakefield Westgate on its way to London Kings Cross. Certainly one of the pros of living in Wakefield is the frequent trips on HSTs!

Still surorised A LOT of the passenger stock are still manual handles with window down pulling instead instead of retrofitted to have automatic button doors.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

No point refitting them when they won't be around for that much longer.
Besides, they've got central locking at least, and still do the job :P Just a pain in the butt to dispatch from time to time.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:No point refitting them when they won't be around for that much longer.
I was under the impression the 43s and attached passenger stock would be surviving another cascade and being passed on elsewhere after varying new fleets arrives? Going towards Grand Central, Scotrail and I think the new GNER wants to use a few too if they ever get given permission to run.
Just a pain in the butt to dispatch from time to time.
all the door slams!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Ah I was thinking more for Virgin :P
Other companies may indeed change the way it works haha.

I did like slam door stock to be honest. More so dispatching them on my own.
Downside was when things were in a rush or there was a lot going on. At which point, it was quite a rush and at times manic! :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Ah I was thinking more for Virgin :P
Other companies may indeed change the way it works haha.
Well that answers what my next question was going to be. Whether the operators or the owners (IE: Porterbrook / Angel Trains) decided to do that sort of work.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I'm just guessing to be fair. Don't know of anything solid or set in stone!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Vancouver Pacific Central - Edmonton on the Canadian. Very pleasant experience although we left Vancouver a minute late and arrived at Edmonton 4 hours late with no other explanation than "Freight trains, eh". And they are some monster freight trains for sure.

The fact that the ticket says don't book any onward travel within 24hours of booked arrival is apparently very necessary, talking to one of the attendants onboard, last year, when the Canadian crude was being transported by rail a lot one arrival in to Toronto was 33 hours late. So laid back it's brilliant!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:33 hours late. So laid back it's brilliant!
You could just imagine the uproar if that happened over here!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Kings Cross to Peterborough, and back again today.
But, for the first time, I wasn't a passenger... ;)

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”