General Railway Journeys Thread

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

General Railway Journeys Thread

Post by andysine »

I think it'd be great to have a thread where we can share our stories of recent railway journeys we have undertaken. So I'll start things off.

I've broken up from university for Easter now, so after finishing work on sunday, I decided to get the train home on monday. TheTrainline.com quoted me about £48.00 for a single from Southampton to Lichfield, and being a student, I wasn't about to pay that sort of money. I checked megatrain.com and sure enough I found a ticket travelling monday evening for £7.50. That was more like it.

So at 7:00 I was down at Southampton Central waiting for my train. I saw a few 444s and a Trans Pennine Express 158 (on loan to FGW I think) while on the platform. A Freightliner 66 from Southampton docks passed through in my 10 minute wait for my train. I was fortunate enough to bump into a work collegue who was on his way up to Reading so I caught the 7:15 with him.

So far, so good.

Despite leaving Southampton on time, we were 5 minutes late into Reading, for some reason, queuing outside for an available platform. Because of this we missed our slot to reverse out of Reading and left 15 minutes late. Our train manager then informed us that because of vandalism to a window earlier on, we would have to pull into Didcot, then reverse again, to resume travel in the original direction. This added another couple of minutes to our journey.

Anyway, I got out my laptop and played a bit of OpenTTD, when stopped at just north of Leamington Spa we were informed that we we waiting for a train to pass through the single track section between Kenilworth and Coventry. Five minutes later we were told that due to a signalling failure, the train in the block was stuck - but an engineer was on his way. This did not look good. It was about 9:40, we had a signal failure, and there was no word on how long the engineer was going to be.

I went back to playing OTTD. While texting my mum to tell her I was going to be rather late, my phone's batteries ran out, but thanks to Virgin Trains, there was a socket under my seat, so I could charge it.

After about 15 minutes, the train in the block moved past us and then we moved on our way. No need to call out the engineer, I guess.

Finally got into New Street at 10:30, where I had to run upstairs to get a ticket to Lichfield (on thetrainline.com they quoted me £2.25 + £2 booking fee!). I bought my ticket (It actually cost £3.40), and ran back downstairs to get the 10:35.

Eventually got home at about 11:15.

What a fun journey! (It did only cost me £10.90 though!)
Age of Industry Replacement Set
Themed industry set for OpenTTD

The Greenest Valley
A beautiful scenario featuring Cardiff and the south Wales valleys

Mountains and Prairies
Huge scenario based on Western Canada
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Sounds like a fun journey. The TPE 158s are now FGW's. TPE have passed a few to SWT (which are now 159/1) and a few to Central for the Citylink Birmingham to Stansted runs.

Sunday 18th March
Left Clacton on the 15:36 service (2N13) to Liverpool Street. Due to Overhead Line problems, it was possible I'd have to change at Stratford. Thankfully, this wasn't the case and we arrived just 8 minutes late into Liverpool Street at 17:16. I got a cab over to Euston for £14.00 and then got some dinner whilst waiting for the 18:56 to be ready. When it was announced I went to Platform 7 and got on coach J to head north on XG44. Saw lots of various trains at Wembley, had a 57 drag us from Nuneaton to Wolverhampton and called Dave Worley up from Soho to Sandwell to tell him such.

Arrived into Wolves at 22:00. Drove home in the snow with my colleague to get in at 22:30. Went to bed and phoned the gf.

[fin]
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Excuse my ignorance, Andel, but what do the 2N13 and XG44 codes stand for/refer to/mean?
Dave

Post by Dave »

2N13 is the train's headcode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headcode

2N13 means that it's a non-express service inside the same region, and the N, considering it's Liverpool Street, probably refers to North London (?)

The 13 is just a number to identify it from similar services.

XG44 is either the Pendolino consist number, or the train number. I'm not sure.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

XG44 is because i couldn't remember if I was 1 or 2 for the trip back to Wolves.
Andel
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well I could add my daily commute. Gunton to Roughton Road, Norfolk. The journey lasts all of 6 minutes and is usually formed of a 156 (sometimes a 170, making my short journey that bit more comfortable).
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Ameecher wrote:Well I could add my daily commute. Gunton to Roughton Road, Norfolk. The journey lasts all of 6 minutes and is usually formed of a 156 (sometimes a 170, making my short journey that bit more comfortable).
You could...
Andel
[/size]
Dave

Post by Dave »

andel wrote:XG44 is because i couldn't remember if I was 1 or 2 for the trip back to Wolves.
Almost certainly 1, if it's a EUS-WVH.

But then with reverse from Nuneaton, you might have been 1 up to Nuneaton and then 2G with the 57 at the head.

Flickr

andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Dave Worley wrote:
andel wrote:XG44 is because i couldn't remember if I was 1 or 2 for the trip back to Wolves.
Almost certainly 1, if it's a EUS-WVH.

But then with reverse from Nuneaton, you might have been 1 up to Nuneaton and then 2G with the 57 at the head.

Its not a reverse, we just get given a 57 on the front. its all fun really.

We need to arrange that date (baby)
Andel
[/size]
Dave

Post by Dave »

Any time :shock: :lol:

Right.. Well, I was supposed to be at Birmingham University today, but I was late and gave up. However, I had a daytripper in hand, and was intending to make full use of it.

Having arrived at Stourbridge Junction from the Town train (Class 153), I saw Platform 3's displays showing "Stand Well Back. Non-Stop Train Approaching".

I looked up the line and what should be there but an EWS Class 66 coming from Round Oak. I knew it was due, but I didn't think I had a good chance of getting it. So obviously I got all excited and took a phot of the loco. About three seconds too early. Bollocks.

So it's a bit smaller than it could have been!

Shame.

Anyway - I wasn't going to Birmingham Uni now so I jumped on the 1019 Central Trains service to Dorridge (Class 150), and bailed at Galton Bridge. Went down the stairs to Platform 4 and jumped on the 1036 (+4) to New Street - Class 323. I ran up the stairs at New Street, and picked a place. I had promised myself I was going to go out to Rugeley Trent Valley to get some serious speed shots, or at least to have my head taken off by passing Pendolinos. So I bought a ticket for a Walsall-Rugeley move (I had a daytripper valid as far as Walsall, or so I thought - it's actually valid to Bloxwich North, oh well).

I first of all jumped on a 323 for Walsall - 1103 departure off New Street, though, and bailed at Bescot Stadium. I got some really nice shots of some stuff - including a Brake Van in EWS maroon. Realised the train I wanted for Rugeley only called at Tame Bridge, Walsall and then stations onto Rugeley. So basically, NOT Bescot. Crap. So I hopped on another local to Walsall. I DID see the Network West Midland liveried 150, which looks interestingly smart, and took a couple of snaps. If the train had been a few minutes later, I'd've had a Freightliner Heavy Haul Class 66 on coal from Rugeley Power Station through Walsall, but we can't have it all. Took the 1230 departure off Walsall; another class 150.

Jumped off at Rugeley - I didn't realise it was so desolate. But because of the recent works on the Trent Valley the track looks brand new and it really looks like a new station. The moment I'd crossed the footbridge my first train was upon me - a Class 4 Freight. DRS Class 66 on containers on the up slow. Quick, quick - get the camera!

Too quick again. The picture shows the nose of a Class 66. So annoying.

I got shots of various Pendolinos plus a ballast train (EWS 66) before heading back on the same train (it had ran up to Stafford and back again). I got back to New Street and grabbed a couple of Voyagers and a Virgin Thunderbird Class 57/3 stabled on the Middle Road of 9 and 10 at New Street. Took a six car train (2x323) to Lichfield Trent Valley and got locked in the rear three carriages with a girl about 19 - the 323 CAN work in multi but doesn't have connecting ends so the guard has to operate both and he neglected the two of us. Could have turned that into a great story about how I appealed to her better nature while we were locked in the train and had rampant sex in the disabled space, but we were only locked in for 30 seconds.

This wasn't the end of what turned into a lurid sexual experience (although I was completely innocent). Two girls who were clearly more than 'just friends' were sat in the shelter at Trent Valley while I went about my business taking photos. I went up to find out when the next train was from the information speaker and they sprang apart as if it was some crime. I got several photos after this, but once again mostly missed out because of my stupid ability to be caught out.

The train arrives about 15 minutes before it is due to leave and the doors are left open, so these girls jump on. Now, there are TVs on the Class 323 and I'm standing in the doorway, watching innocently. The driver comes through the train and sees these girls sitting down in the very corner of the train and stares, sort of shocked. I look away and out of the door and I can only imagine what he's just seen. I was worried - I'd have to avert my eyes for 28 minutes to get back to New Street.

Alas no - and this is the funniest bit - I am standing there minding my own business looking out of the doors when I'm tapped on the shoulder. Now I'm holding on to the bars and leaning out so I'm taking up the whole doorway. I turn round to find these two girls wanting to get off the train. I gladly move, but not before giving them a knowing smile - these ladies have been up to no good and have used a train as cover. The one girl giggles, blushes and winks at me. Again I could tell you a story of how I decided to miss that particular train, take them under the bridge and have a great threesome, but I'd be lying.

I just couldn't believe my eyes - it was almost unbelievable. So I came all the way back to New Street and walked to Moor Street. I jumped on a train there and was surrounded by hot women all the way back to Stourbridge Junction.

It doesn't end here, however. I thought a freight was due through for Round Oak at about the time my train was due in to Stourbridge, so I was on the look out in case I'd missed it.

I had indeed seen a freight train, but it wasn't a Class 66 at the head of steel wagons. I'd just missed possibly the rarest occasion ever - 2x DRS Class 37s with nuclear flasks from Bridgwater. I nearly exploded! A common trainspotting term is 'withered', meaning something's messed up somewhere to make you miss something. I was indeed withered.

I made up for it by grabbing a video of an EWS badged Class 60 on the aforementioned Round Oak freight just in time to jump on the Town car and home.

Don't I have all the luck, eh?

Flickr

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well today's journey was by rail replacement bus, due to a bridge strike yesterday all trains were cancelled :evil:
Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Re: General Railway Journeys Thread

Post by Martin »

andysine wrote: [...] (on thetrainline.com they quoted me £2.25 + £2 booking fee!) [...]
I think that booking fee is only for credit cards (ie not debit cards) if you didn't know that (that may not be helpful but I thought I'd say just in case!)
:)
andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: General Railway Journeys Thread

Post by andysine »

Martin wrote:I think that booking fee is only for credit cards (ie not debit cards) if you didn't know that (that may not be helpful but I thought I'd say just in case!)
Mine is a debit card - I'm a student, I don't quite think I'm ready for a credit card yet, haha!

I think its just a cheeky way to get more money.

Anyways, I'm travelling back to Southampton tomorrow (by car) then back to Brum for £10 on monday again, then returning to Southampton on friday for £7. Love the Megatrain!
Age of Industry Replacement Set
Themed industry set for OpenTTD

The Greenest Valley
A beautiful scenario featuring Cardiff and the south Wales valleys

Mountains and Prairies
Huge scenario based on Western Canada
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Dave Worley wrote:Two girls who were clearly more than 'just friends' were sat in the shelter at Trent Valley while I went about my business taking photos. I went up to find out when the next train was from the information speaker and they sprang apart as if it was some crime....

so these girls jump on. Now, there are TVs on the Class 323 and I'm standing in the doorway, watching innocently. The driver comes through the train and sees these girls sitting down in the very corner of the train and stares, sort of shocked. I look away and out of the door and I can only imagine what he's just seen. I

I'm tapped on the shoulder. Now I'm holding on to the bars and leaning out so I'm taking up the whole doorway. I turn round to find these two girls wanting to get off the train. I gladly move, but not before giving them a knowing smile - these ladies have been up to no good and have used a train as cover. The one girl giggles, blushes and winks at me. Again I could tell you a story of how I decided to miss that particular train, take them under the bridge and have a great threesome, but I'd be lying.
Cor...I'm all hot under the collar. Lesbians!
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well today's journey was Gunton (my local station north of Norwich) to York via Peterborough and the return.
It was all going fine and had a good day at the NRM (National railway museum to you uneducated fools ;)). Got some good shots of trains around the museum and York, some Voyagers, 91s, HSTs, 185s, 150s, 143/4s, 158s... I think that's the lot... But then the return journey began.

My return train from York (which was Kings Cross bound) was running about 50minutes late so the Peterborough stop was cut from the schedule in a vain attempt to make up time so I quickly jumped out at Grantham and planned to get the direct train to Norwich from there which was in half an hour... However half an hour became an hour and I was beginning to wish I'd caught the next GNER Intercity to Peterborough but then good stuff started to appear. First 3 HSTs belted through in quick succession. Then a Hull Trains 222 called for a stop and then a couple of 91s. Then an EWS 66 hauling container flats passed and FHH Coal train arrived. I also saw the Skegness branch train leave twice from the double platformed bay. All good fun. I arrived back home an hour and 10 minutes later than intended.

Photos will follow soon, not quite sure where...

Edit: I'll just add a few of the best on here
Attachments
A 222 Pioneer makes a a scheduled stop at Grantham, it will gun it all the way to Kings Cross.
A 222 Pioneer makes a a scheduled stop at Grantham, it will gun it all the way to Kings Cross.
IMG_0360.jpg (275.21 KiB) Viewed 409 times
A Super Voyager approaching York, I think it was heading for Cardiff (can't remember though).
A Super Voyager approaching York, I think it was heading for Cardiff (can't remember though).
IMG_0312.jpg (379 KiB) Viewed 425 times
A class 91 pushes a train into the Platform with another train to London.
A class 91 pushes a train into the Platform with another train to London.
IMG_0327.jpg (292.31 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

I went to London today, left Orton early to get to Peterborough early to be in with the chance of getting a relatively empty GNER. Got there in time and got the train, we were making good headway until after Stevenage, where, because of the engineering work we were put onto the Hertford Loop. Even then we managed to arrive in KGX about 5 minutes before our allocated time.

We went down to the tube - however there was work going on in the tube so the Circle line was suspended, the District between Earls Court and Whitechapel and the Northern between Camden Town and Kennington (via Bank) so we jumped on the Piccadilly Line to Holborn, switched to the Central Line to Bank and as we arrived the DLR that we wanted to George V was about to leave so we jumped on. At Shadwell we jumped off, ran to the front of the train so we could see out of the front. We got down to George V, switched ends and returned to Bank.

At Bank we got on the Central Line again, changed at Holborn back onto the Piccadilly and went down to Covent Garden to go to the London Transport Museum shop. Where i brought the official DLR handbook and a book about the LU rolling stock, although they had some bloody nice EFE and Corgi model buses there. After we had finished at the shop we went back onto the Piccadilly northbound to Russell Square were we spent a few hours in the Egyptian Wings of the British Museum. Then i brought a book on the role of the Priests in Ancient Egyptian and a book on Amenhotep IV or as you call him -Akhenaten. When we finished in the Museum we visited a shop where i got a few 'souvenirs' then we walked to Tottenham Court Road and got the Central to Oxford Circus where we took the Victoria to Victoria because my dad wanted to visit Westminster Cathedral and its bookshops. When we eventually finished we got the Victoria back to King's Cross and got the GNER back - non-stop and luckily we were back on the mainline again.

Good job we came back when we did because there are delays on the Central Line due to a earlier signal failure at Chancery Lane and severe delays on the Piccadilly because of signal failures at Hounslow Central and South Harrow.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”