ANA emergency landing

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

biscuit178
Engineer
Engineer

ANA emergency landing

Post by biscuit178 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6444819.stm

have you heard about this?

its amazing how the pilot kept the plane balencing on its 2 remaining wheels, they should be very proud of themselves.
as far as i know no one was injured
there is no i in team but there is a me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Kudos to the pilot!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Yup i saw it on the news, the pilot did an excelent job!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Sure is impressive.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That's nothing, I can do it too.. eh.. right.. naah, I saw this on the news, them pilots sure did it very well. Not even slight injuries on anyone. The passengers just walked away and off to work :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Very elegant. Well done on the part of the pilots. Glad everyone is ok.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Just goes to show how well trained pilots are to deal with such instances. Kudos to him indeed
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

yes the pilot did a good job, a important thing to note though is the fact that the aircraft involved was a Dash 8 Prop which when empty (pilot frew around for an hour) would have a very low stalling speed (~80-100 Knots)compared to a jet counterpart (~140-160) so it doesen't supprise me that it landed perfectly.
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

That does look like an impressive landing (ok, it is) but I think that with such a small aircraft it is easier to land in such a condition.

My favourite most impressive landing that I have seen is the A300 with no hydraulics (ie no controls except the engine throttles) making a safe landing. Now thats impressive.
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

alistairgrew wrote:yes the pilot did a good job, a important thing to note though is the fact that the aircraft involved was a Dash 8 Prop which when empty (pilot frew around for an hour) would have a very low stalling speed (~80-100 Knots)compared to a jet counterpart (~140-160) so it doesen't supprise me that it landed perfectly.
indeed, credit to the pilot for keeping his calm.

as to how difficult landing like that is - i don't really know
however, getting the nose to come down gracefully is fairly easy (I imagine) - you just don't use the brakes until the nose has 'landed' and have the engines idling.
and with it being a dash 8 prop he had lots and lots of spare runway, so letting the aircraft stop with little use of brakes is easy (when the nose has landed the footage shows the spoilers (air brakes) delpoyed, but it's hard to tell if they were prior to the nose hitting the floor)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Hmmm, crash landing are always impressive and highly respectable. If you think about the stress on the crew at the time, its amazing what they manage. 8)

edit: John, yeah, those points are very true. Those Dash8s are amazing. Thats a 400 series (larger variant) but even then they can stop on a 2p. Id imagine it was really at a very low speed when the nose actually touched. Imagine it being a heavy weight 747-400 turning back from a long-haul or something. Now that would have been a whole different story...

One thing I do REALLY dislike is how the news companies make it so much more dramatic than it really is (Not just in these situations - everything these days :roll:). I mean, its not good with no nose gear, but the planes are more than able to cope with the impact. Fire vehicles would have been following the thing down the runway, and as Alistair points out, it would be so slow that the fire trucks were probably overtaking it! ;). Its news reporters trying to make it sensatiuonal when they actually know nothing about what goes on. Grrr :evil:
Last edited by Ben_K on 13 Mar 2007 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

To keep the nose up for a while, before you let it drop gently, you need a reasonable speed although.
Otherwise pressure on the elevons is to low and the nose would drop to fast after landing.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
Hula121
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hula121 »

All Nippon Airways has had similar problems with their Bombardier Dash 8s before, and are thus grounding their Bombardier fleet.

http://www.amtonline.com/article/articl ... =1&id=3636
Hanamaru Navigation Group
Transit - Anime - Gaming
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

That was a nice landing, which must mean a great approach.

Yes, those Dash-8s are powerhouses. I flew on one once. It was a smooth ride, and I nearly went deaf from sitting next to the engine. :lol:
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Great job done by pilots! I watch every episode of series "Air crash investigation" and it's amazing to see when good trained pilots save lives from very dangerous situations. I'm allways admiring when I see something like that. Unfortunately, pilots aren't able to escape from every situation... :(
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Wow! real lifesaver! really impressive. :D

The pilot should be rewarded after such an act.

Hero. :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm sure he is humble enough to say no to any reward! He will claim he was just doing his job!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

yes I offen try and fly odd emergancy landings in FS, one of the hardest I did was a 727 (3 engine plane) with all engines out on Kai Tak R13 (noted as one of the worlds hardest approches)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

alistairgrew wrote:yes I offen try and fly odd emergancy landings in FS, one of the hardest I did was a 727 (3 engine plane) with all engines out on Kai Tak R13 (noted as one of the worlds hardest approches)
Jeez, you must have been feeling lucky! :shock:
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Dave Worley wrote:I'm sure he is humble enough to say no to any reward! He will claim he was just doing his job!
Yeah, I would of thought that would be his answer too

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”