MagLev Trains

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

worchyld
Engineer
Engineer

MagLev Trains

Post by worchyld »

Is it true that MagLev trains don't suffer from gradient problems? The reason I'm asking is that where I live they are planning to improve the road tunnel from a single road system to a dual road tunnel system.

Most of the public is against it, many - like myself - want to see a rail network under the River - but apparantly the gradient is too much for a convenetial light railway.
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

(Moved it to a more suitable forum)

I can't remember if it suffers in an original TTDx game. But you can make the maglev go faster in the uphill with the patch. Or modify it so it won't slow down at all.
I'm lost in space. Visiting mother earth once in a while.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hmm, I left it in the general forum because he's talking about his real-life situation ?
I don't think it was a TTD question
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

ARGH! *knock head on keyboard*

I'll move it back :oops:
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

*starting all over again*

I haven't read too much about maglevs other than the webpages about those two projects going on. And afaik the tests have only been done on mostly flat terrain.

You still have to use more energy when traveling uphill, so I guess there is a physical limit for maglevs too.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

I didn't even know there was a project in the UK
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
worchyld
Engineer
Engineer

Maglevs

Post by worchyld »

Yes, I meant in real life not in TT. As far as I'm aware no Maglev is being proposed or built in the UK - but I read or mis-read that a Maglev doesn't suffer the same gradient problems in going up/down hill.

Never mind though, thanks for your help.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Dunno how it works for Japan project but I know something about the german one.

Basicly the maglev is driven by the linear electric motor - the train has the function of rotor and track is [the other thing of the elctric motor i don't know and couldn't find the name of]. There is no engine in such train.

When a gradient is met then more power is pumped into the track overcoming the gradient. Power varies of the train so velocity remains the same. Likewise in normal steel railorads power of the engine is more or less constant (exocluding steam engines) so when a gradient is reached then some power is needed to ovecrome it hence velocity must drop.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”