The Stourbridge Line - My Local Railway History

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

The Stourbridge Line - My Local Railway History

Post by Dave »

Okay - this is a pretty crap thing...but whatever.

I live near Stourbridge, in the West Midlands in good old England, and I am proud to claim that Stourbridge is home to the shortest passenger branchline on the British Network, and IIRC, the shortest platform in the country too.

I haven't got any pictures yet - I need a decent digital camera to do that - which I don't have.

However when I do, I'll take pictures of the platform and of the single carriage Railcar - I'll find the model - and also the new replacement.

See, the Stourbridge branch-line does not make a very big profit. So Centro plan on removing the service. "Over my dead body" said Mr Phil Tonks - leader of SLUG (Stourbridge Line Users Group).

So they enlisted the help of a Mr John Parry, MBE to provide a replacement. Step forward his Parry People Mover (PPM).

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/PPM50-spec.htm

See there for said machine. It's gas powered, and holds fifty passengers, far more than the usual number on the train.

Just for a bit of trivia... - the journey between Stourbridge Town (the small platform station) and Stourbridge Junction (the main station) lasts - according to the timetable - three minutes. Let me assure you now - it is far shorter even than this, probably a minute and a half to two minutes.

The funny thing about that is when I go to Hagley, the next stop west from Stourbridge Junction, the combined journey for two trains is seven minutes, while it takes me ten minutes to get to the train station on the bus anyway.

Tis amusing.

Speaking of Hagley - I don't know if any of you guys collect Hornby model stuff, but it is Hagley's old footbridge that one of the Hornby Bridges is based on.

Anyway, away from the passenger line for a while now. East of Stourbridge is where the Stourbridge-Tipton/Wednesbury line leaves. It crosses a beautiful viaduct near Stourbridge (such a pity only freight trains run on it) and then runs past my house and into the steel yard at Brierley Hill. From there it runs on through the towns to a point near Tipton, I believe it may even join the West Coast Mainline. Alternatively, there is a single track (the second track was taken up long ago) that is disused that branches just before the Steel Yard and runs through to Wednesbury.

Incidentally, it is this side of the Steel Yard where the semaphore signal is (again, wait for me to get money for a camera to take a picture).

I think that's about it. Other than the fact that Chiltern Railways' "stop absolutely everywhere" Worcester-London Marylebone service also runs through Stourbridge Junction.

So there we go. I'll try get a map or at least the co-ordinates for Google Earth for you all to see :D.

Sorry for going on!

Dave
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

That people mover looks quite amusing I must say! They actually thinking of trying to get a franchise and using that thing if Centro cancel the service?
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
DJC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJC »

You've got the shortest plaform, while Colchester North Station has the longest 8)
Things I've made for Locomotion:
Scenarios: East Anglia | Trans Oceanic | Scotland | Narrow Gauge Nuts
Locomotives: (REL) BR 0-6-0 J94 | (REL) UK Steam Pack

My Flickr
Dave

Post by Dave »

beeb.. they have.

They operate the service on a Sunday when there is no Centro-subsidised service. I've heard it makes quite a profit for such a machine... of course it's really cheap.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”