Waterloo & City

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Waterloo & City

Post by tubechallenger »

I noticed quite a lot of discussion about this London Underground tube line, so I thought I'd clear the information about it as I am so bored.

This line was built in 1890 and first opened in 1896. It originally opened with stock remarkably similar to the Central London Railway when it originally opened. Since then, it was replaced with Class 483's, which were similar to London Underground's 1938 stock, now in operation on the Isle of Wight in Hampshire. While the Central Line was going through its major train renewal, 8 more units were ordered for the Network South-East owned Waterloo & City line. These were nicknamed class 482's, which are London Underground's 1992 stock, they are exactly the same, and not different in any way apart from the in-train announcements on the doors closing, where the pitch of the beep is very slightly different.

In 1994, the Tube was given ownership of this line due to the privatisation of British Rail. It was not feasible to run the Waterloo & City line as part of the railways due to the similar guage to the Tube. It was therefore decided that the London Underground should gain ownership of the London Underground network. London Underground have not since repainted the Tube trains on the Waterloo & City line, but on some units, they have been numbered accordingly from their old number while being a BR class 482. Some of the numbers begin with 00, having the final numbers as the last 3 numbers of the original train number.

This is therefore the only reason of the different between the main Tube network, and the Waterloo & City Line.

Took me a while to write, but I sure enjoyed writing it :))
s78ucr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by s78ucr »

Despite only having tow stations, i've always found the W&C quite interesting.

But 1890? I thought it was built at the same time as the current stock, just a 'relief' line.

Still, at least i understand the colour scheme now :)
Yet another pointless remark for the collection!
tubechallenger
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by tubechallenger »

Random fact about the Waterloo & City line:
It runs under the Circle from Temple to Mansion House.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”