Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:54 pm 

Ok yeah that's a good point :mrgreen:
Even the ATO system for the TL core isn't working (yet), and that's on a very short and slow bit of line. Mainline driving I think as you say, I'll be fine for a good while yet :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:41 am 

I got bored travelling home yesterday night and decided to write something random on my phone....

And now, off we go again on our old class 3-1-3,
Sitting lonely and idle, awaiting the turn of our key.

The AWS wailing, train all prepped and waiting,
Checking lights and buttons all over the desk plating.

Doors are all clear, dispatched with R-A,
With a pop and a bang we then roll out the bay.

Off we go along bumping, rocking, and bouncing,
And again the PA probably not clearly announcing.

These poor old girls, so old just needing to finally retire,
Whilst we're just hoping that the compressor doesn't catch fire.

With seating and looks which go back to a by-go age,
And yet reporting a simple fault to fleet fills us with rage.

Thundering along, pigeons flying into us like a rock,
PSHHH, the brakes slam on. Damn birds hit the trip-cock!

Another cancellation and more delays as we run late,
Getting to Finsbury, the dreaded call "No relief driver mate!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Probably the only poem ever inspired by the mighty class 313!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

For What it's worth, was passing through El Paso while visiting some partially closed National Parks last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find this smaller city had built itself a 'new' streetcar that I'd never heard of before, despite usually following most American mass-transit news. As it happened, the line ran from right by out airbnb to downtown, and was free on weekends, so I took a aimless circuit to try it out.

Most interestingly, the fleet is six old PCC cars that used to run in El Paso in the 50s, thouroughly refurbished to be fully ADA compliant (accesible), and with modern electrical gear including pantographs. The service just started in November, so both motormen and riders seem to be expressing a genuine sense of novelty and exuberance, which made the trip quite uplifting. They are definately trading heavily on nostalgia, with period appropriate liveries and sticking entirely to old cars from the city's former system. It doesn't seem likely to take many commuters out of their cars yet, but it's a handy way to get between nightlife areas without driving.

http://www.sunmetro.net/streetcar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:00 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I believe this El Paso line is a partial restoration of a PCC car line that used to cross the border until the 1950s, no?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Kevo00 wrote:
I believe this El Paso line is a partial restoration of a PCC car line that used to cross the border until the 1950s, no?

I wouldn't quite call it a restoration, as it uses all new track and infratructure, none of the infrastructure of the combined Juarex-El Paso system seems to remain. Also I am not sure that the particular cars used ever ran the international route, as they were first built in the late 30s in California, and only later bought by El Paso in the 50s. They may have arrived just too late to run over the bridge.

That said, I do hope El Paso comes away from the experience enthused to build out more transit - while it is a very car focused city, geography pinches it in away that make rail corridors not too crazy, espescially something like a heavy rail commuter line running up to Las Cruces. The city would do well to eventually connect across the border again, but in the current national political climate I can't imagine trying to get funding for 'subsidized public transit to bring people from Ciudad Juarez straight into the heart of an american city", even if locals on the ground know that cross border trips and commutes are a vital part of the Jurez-El Paso metro area.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

An Ethiopian Air 737-MAX has crashed, seemingly with the loss of all aboard, reported to be over 150 lives. The plane involved was reported to be just months old, and it crashed shortly after take off.

China has responded by grounding all 737-MAX in its airspace, the rocky start to the -MAX started a few years ago after another relatively newly delivered LionAir 737-MAX crashed shortly after take off, with 189 deaths (all aboard).

Boeing are sure to face more questions about the -MAX, after another incident less than 6 month after another of its new range crashed. Although its still way too early to tell what happened to the Ethiopian plane.

Sources:
BBC News: Ethiopian Airlines Crash
CNN: China grounds its fleet of 97 737-MAX

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1807 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91