Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:I wonder if they'll get it solved during the week,
I'll be surprised if it is this year at the moment :P
Doomsday has struck, and all predictions and expectations have come to fruition! It's a disaster :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm just confused as to why the price of the ticket has gone up too, especially for a poorer overall service. If I knew who was to blame for this absolute <several words have been redacted here> i'd send them enough angry mail i'd be given a restraining order.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Geo Ghost wrote:Please excuse me whilst I recover from laughing.. :mrgreen:

Major cancellations across GTR services on first day of new timetable.

All I can say is "Called it!"
Not surprised since none of you buggers wanted to work it!

Can’t wait for tomorrow morning :lol: :lol:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave wrote:Not surprised since none of you buggers wanted to work it!

Can’t wait for tomorrow morning :lol: :lol:
Oi I had worked.. all night :lol:
Lots of things causing it. Lack of drivers was only a small thing in the bigger picture :wink:

Bring on tomorrow indeed! I'll be back into lates to see what happens next :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Meltdown Monday! Misery continues with the new timetable!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44194146

Hull Trains and TransPennine Express managed less than FIFTY % on time today
Clicky for the days stats: http://imghst.co/69/v5rpG6jKB~.png
Northern and Virgin East Coast round off the bottom four.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:Meltdown Monday! Misery continues with the new timetable!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44194146
urrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That is all. Between hitting my head on a wall, that's how I feel after today!
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Meanwhile, Pacers might have a new use in their life post-2020. Most notably by taking away the toilets, using them on very short routes, and attaching them to sprinters to help during rush hour.

source: https://www.citymetric.com/transport/he ... rains-3924
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

That is the least convincing article.

Also, i've heard some of them may end up going south after Northern have finished getting their cascaded stock.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Think a better way to use them is make another All The Stations trip XD
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A train became 'lost' in the deep areas of Yorkshire today, after taking a wrong turn. On its way to Reading from Newcastle, the train got took a wrong turn, and ended up around Pontefract in West Yorkshire.

Sky News & Metro.

So, don't feel too bad if you get lost whilst driving, it happens to trains too!
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Redirect Left wrote:A train became 'lost' in the deep areas of Yorkshire today, after taking a wrong turn. On its way to Reading from Newcastle, the train got took a wrong turn, and ended up around Pontefract in West Yorkshire.

Sky News & Metro.

So, don't feel too bad if you get lost whilst driving, it happens to trains too!
Whoops, wrong route offered and taken.
That would've been to avoid Doncaster, someone jumped in front of an arriving VTEC there mid afternoon and the station and area seized up for about 2 hours. Chaos!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Badger wrote: Whoops, wrong route offered and taken.
Seems to indicate a fault by two differing members of staff, a signaller then later a driver? If so, seems odd it got past two members of staff!

At least the wilds of Yorkshire and Pontefract wasn't too horrendously an awful place to end up.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Happens more than the public conscience thinks. In the middle of VSTP diversions, not reallly driver error (although they really should know better)

Fair point though Leftie, it reallly *shouldn't* get by 2 folk, but v occasionally it does.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Another concern here, was the driver qualified to take the accidental route here? I know drivers go through route training before they take up their jobs on that segment of track. So hopefully the driver was confident and trained to go on his route to no where. Although I guess there is no way of us knowing the qualifications and route training done by a specific driver?

Also, a few days ago, the Railway Gazette posted an article and video of the Nova 3 trains that'll soon take up residence with Transpennine; http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... aches.html

They look quite good, although a little odd with the nice shaped front and loco engine on the rear, it's like they wanted a DMU but changed their mind when they got to the last carriage and stuck a mismatched loco on the end :p
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:On its way to Reading from Newcastle, the train got took a wrong turn, and ended up around Pontefract in West Yorkshire.
Must be the bloody Sat Nav ! :lol:

Perhaps we should get advance direction signs on railways now ?XD
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

FirstGroup, which runs Transpennine Express, Great Western Railway, Hull Trains, South Western Railway (70%) plus is a major bus operator and tram operator within the UK have announced losses of £327M today. Furthermore, the chief executive, Mr. O'Toole has stepped down.

I wonder if any of these losses are to do with the rail operations starting to lose money, in a situation similar to Virgin Trains East Coast?

BBC News
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

In light of the continuing disasterous service, Northern have revised their timetable, cutting about 6% of their daily services until the end of July. These are mostly in the Manchester, Lancashire & Merseyside areas.

Northern Website.

I wonder if any other companies will be forced to do the same - are they due a spurt of stock or extra staff at the end of July? as these changes are in effect until 1st August.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Redirect Left wrote:In light of the continuing disasterous service, Northern have revised their timetable, cutting about 6% of their daily services until the end of July. These are mostly in the Manchester, Lancashire & Merseyside areas.

Northern Website.

I wonder if any other companies will be forced to do the same - are they due a spurt of stock or extra staff at the end of July? as these changes are in effect until 1st August.
Remember I work in Northern's Control and the last few weeks have been absolute s***.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Badger wrote:Remember I work in Northern's Control and the last few weeks have been absolute s***.
I feel for you guys. Hat comes off to all those in the control - with the exception of Three Bridges.
Our control has been under masses of stress everyday it seems. How on earth they've coped this far is beyond me.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Badger wrote: Remember I work in Northern's Control and the last few weeks have been absolute s***.
The timetable change has actually somewhat saved me, as I no longer use Northern trains - its now easier for me to get a bus from Wakefield to Huddersfield, rather than go for the Westgate (now Kirkgate) train, so i've not used Northern since the new timetable anyway. However what I have seen on my volunteering stuff is yeah, both TPE & Northern suffering some quite horrendous muck ups. Northern are facing calls to have an inquiry or even their franchise taken off them by the mayors of <two places I forgot> - although i'm not sure how much of the new timetable and subsequent breasts pointing firmly upwards was Northerns doing, and not DfT wanting X or Y services altered.

I hate to think what the people manning TPE & Northerns twitter accounts have been through over the past few weeks.

On the plus side (for me anyway), after my huge rant to them about the timetable change about 6 week ago now, they finally got back to me, and gave me two free return tickets, so that's nice.

On another note;
Thameslink, which has compared its recent performance to chocolate from Poundland is now in hot water, with Poundland threatening to sue them.
BBC News.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”