Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by JamieLei »

Pilot wrote:Any delay, depending on the current state of the electrification of Manchester - Preston via Bolton, could seriously screw up the May timetable, as many services via Bolton appear to be converting to Electric, and Northern are redistributing their diesel stock elsewhere. I'm hopeful however, that the wiring has been finished, and it's simply a case of testing now.
As far as I'm aware, there's still piling to go in...

Edit: Yep it's public knowledge. Revised date is December. http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/News/158 ... EN_months/
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

That's only the 8 trains per hour (4 each way, off-peak) via Bolton that are screwed then, as I honestly don't think that Northern have enough stock to cover all these with Diesel. Perhaps there is capacity for TPE to divert their 1tph towards Scotland back via Chat Moss and Wigan NW to maintain that service at least.

Who knows though, maybe Northern will pull something out the bag and surprise us. 68s with Mark 3s as a stop gap anyone? :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So it might (will?) be another timetable update in May with changes being pushed back to the next one. According to gossip at Huddersfield, there was meant to be a lot of revisions and small frequency changes in the Dec update that didn't materialise due to lack of stock. Penistone Line was meant to get a few sunday increases, which would have been rather nice.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

There's pretty much a whole timetable rewrite in progress for the Bolton corridor and they'll be extra weekend possessions on top of those that were already planned.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Huddersfield station, as with a few others now, has a piano for all the delightful passengers to play with. It's highly irritating and i mostly want to smash everyone who uses its face into the keys. However as a volunteer that is immensely frowned upon.

Today however, a rather lovely looking woman, however he appearance was ruined due to her playing this on the piano on repeat for about 15 minutes.
Most depressing 15 minutes of my damned life.

She was actually very good, unfortunately chose to show off her talents with a hugely depressing piece.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:Huddersfield station, as with a few others now, has a piano for all the delightful passengers to play with. It's highly irritating ...
Maybe there should be something to control the volume of the thing remotely by staffs or so ? Or train an AI for such ? :lol:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Redirect Left wrote:So it might (will?) be another timetable update in May with changes being pushed back to the next one. According to gossip at Huddersfield, there was meant to be a lot of revisions and small frequency changes in the Dec update that didn't materialise due to lack of stock. Penistone Line was meant to get a few sunday increases, which would have been rather nice.
It's not quite as simple as a delay to the timetable because bits like the Ordsall chord coming fully on have to happen for political reasons so some poor buggers have had their annual leave cancelled in order to come up with a whole new timetable in a very short time.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A huge train crash in Milan happened this morning during rush hour. A packed commuter train derailed for an as of now unknown reason.

As of this post, at least three deaths, and around 100 njured.

Sources: BBC News & Metro UK

Image Image
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Redirect Left wrote:A huge train crash in Milan happened this morning during rush hour. A packed commuter train derailed for an as of now unknown reason.

As of this post, at least three deaths, and around 100 njured.

Sources: BBC News & Metro UK

Image Image
Wow - looks really bad. I've never seen a car crimped like that before.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Yeah. During the derail, it seems to have hit something, one carriage basically got curved to a 90' angle, which is quite awful to think about.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

supermop wrote: Wow - looks really bad. I've never seen a car crimped like that before.
It happened at the Southall crash. Mk3 coach became pinned at one end against an OLE stancheon after derailing, and the force of the rest of the train pushing into it bent it in half.

Really nasty to see any rail accident in the world. Hopefully the cause comes to light soon and can be acted on to prevent any further incidents.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

"Safety fears over 'stuck' Plumpton level crossing barrier"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-42831130

Well believe it or not local people and news reporters... red actually means STOP. Unless you're a cyclist... (Edit: That was a jibe at ones who constantly jump reds ;) )
The fact signs clearly state "Stop when red lights flash" should be enough. If you disregard the warnings and stop signals, then you are causing the safety issue, not the barrier.

It's not an ideal situation, but every procedure appears to have been followed so not sure how this ended up in the news.
Standing on a high speed platform is a bigger safety issue if I'm honest.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'd also assume trains were restricted to severely lower speeds whilst the fault was being dealt with too?
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

The article said the trains would stop, get permission from a person there, then cross at 20.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dave

Post by Dave »

Geo Ghost wrote:red actually means STOP. Unless your a cyclicst.
:? :? :?:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Geo Ghost wrote:Well believe it or not local people and news reporters... red actually means STOP. Unless your a cyclicst.
The fact signs clearly state "Stop when red lights flash" should be enough. If you disregard the warnings and stop signals, then you are causing the safety issue, not the barrier.
Still, you got to fix the stuff - not bodge it over. Hope that gets fixed and having some backups.

Regarding cyclist - I guess you'd be surprised to see the reverse or so ! But yeah, not pertinent to the news...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Unless your a cyclicst
I'm not 100% sure you've actually read the highway code. Traffic lights apply to all road users.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:
I'm not 100% sure you've actually read the highway code. Traffic lights apply to all road users.
I think it was a joke based upon the amount of Cyclists who jump red lights :wink:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:
I was taking a jibe at those who seem to constantly jump red lights like it doesn't apply to them ;)
Pilot got it at least :P

And more fantastic reporting... :P

"Police appeal for help after explosives are stolen from car in Leigh"
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2018-01 ... -in-leigh/

Very idiotic for someone to steal dets, though seems they knew what they were when taking them.
Again though, two things bug me in this report :P

"The detonators are commonly used on railways to inform workers on the tracks that a train is approaching."
They are? Not the last time I checked :P

"around the size of a £1 coin and may be in a red casing"
And they've shrunk considerably! :shock:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Dave wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:
I was taking a jibe at those who seem to constantly jump red lights like it doesn't apply to them ;)
Pilot got it at least :P

And more fantastic reporting... :P

"Police appeal for help after explosives are stolen from car in Leigh"
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2018-01 ... -in-leigh/

Very idiotic for someone to steal dets, though seems they knew what they were when taking them.
Again though, two things bug me in this report :P

"The detonators are commonly used on railways to inform workers on the tracks that a train is approaching."
They are? Not the last time I checked :P

"around the size of a £1 coin and may be in a red casing"
And they've shrunk considerably! :shock:
Love the BR standard graphics on that package

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”