Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1526 posts ]  Go to page Previous 173 74 75 76 77
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:04 pm 

YNM wrote:
Is that going to be a thing ? I often liked the british signaling system because of the spatial displacement of aspects such that even if you're colorblind you can still tell what it might be from their pattern; contrast to, say, German one where despite the slight pattern by distant signal it's very slight. Is there any review of it's effect or such ?

(I also lament the stiff-looking gantries, but hey, at least you got quite some flying junctions I see.)

LED signals are already very much a thing all over.
They are far superior in every way to the traditional colour-light signals. Much smaller, more reliable, much better sighting and brightness (especially in fog and poor viability). Also you can see the signal at various angles instead of head on, and they are a lot more visible in time of direct sunlight which is a major bonus ;)

Also I wouldn't worry about the colour-blindness concern. No one would be driving if they were colour-blind ;) Besides there are varying patterns depending on the placement of the signal and the sequence.
For example there are 3 aspect signals which can show two yellows, and ground-placed or co-acting signals where the red is at the top and not the bottom :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

The new combined signal heads still have to the same spacing between the double yellow aspects but the new LED style heads gave this as the norm. Much of the WCML south has these types of signals. Interestingly the signal heads also retain the same spacing between the aperture and the route direction feather so that if you have one aperture on a junction signal you end up with loads of blank metal before the feather on top.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:47 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I believe that the green light has some blue in it to factor in red-green colour-blindness. Not sure if train drivers are permitted to drive if colour-blind, but that's the rationale for road traffic lights being slightly blue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm 

JamieLei wrote:
Not sure if train drivers are permitted to drive if colour-blind,

I can confirm, they are not.
Anyone who is colour blind cannot undertake safety critical duties such as driving, shunting, dispatch, etc.

Not sure about the blue in the signals though. Can't say I've ever noticed such myself! :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I get it that LEDs are far more better than any other thing. I just comment on the loss of one thing that used to be there. Down here we also use LEDs for train signals, but I haven't see one which can show different aspect from the same "lamp".

It also kind of "lost" the difference that while traffic signal have red on top and green at bottom, train signal have red on bottom and green on top.

YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

The reason some UK signals use multiple lamps is because we use two yellow lights to warn of a yellow light ahead. Otherwise, all lights can all be shown on one lamp quite easily. Also, in the eastern region (I believe) they used multiple lights in a single "lamp", but with conventional lights.

Maker of many GRFs, most of which are pretty poor.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1526 posts ]  Go to page Previous 173 74 75 76 77