[GUI] Design

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

[GUI] Design

Post by Ne0Que »

Okay, i saw somewhere in this forum that there weren't really enough 2d designers around here. Well, i am not a designer, but i can make graphics ;). This was just coming out of my head.

I also included a small DOC file to overview the menu structure (note that the pic isn't finished @ all!!!!!)
Attachments
menustructure.doc
Menu structure
(39.5 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
Stop those stupid shooting games, make peaceful games!
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [GUI] Design

Post by bob27 »

Hey Purno, you have competition! That is a really nice interface Ne0Que! I just wouldn't have the company name quite so big. :D
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

That is pretty damn cool.. very appropiate style. As said by bob, I wouldn't display the company name like that at all, but the idea is spot on.
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Steve wrote:That is pretty damn cool.. very appropiate style. As said by bob, I wouldn't display the company name like that at all, but the idea is spot on.
Okay, i haven't changed the top bar yet because i was figuring out how to structure the menus at the left.

Altrough, of course: at the begin all menu's are closed, this is just an example when you click on the infrastructure button and then roads.
The infrastructure icon is just selfmade fast to give some example (its not design)

This is my update for today:
GUI3.jpg
GUI3.jpg (261.76 KiB) Viewed 37022 times
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

I created also some mouse cursors

I can make more ;)
Attachments
CURSORS1.jpg
CURSORS1.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 36835 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Slow down :P. Your art looks very good. But if I may make a comment: why do you put Busses part from Roads? The trick with menu's is that they shouldn't be too tedious, something they frequently forget with the Need for Speed series for example.
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Hyronymus wrote:But if I may make a comment: why do you put Busses part from Roads? The trick with menu's is that they shouldn't be too tedious, something they frequently forget with the Need for Speed series for example.
It doesn't really matter now. I think these images are just to show what graphics style could be, actual menu contents can be decided later when code to support busses, trains, etc. is done.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Possibly, but sooner or later it'll go into that direction. I don't think it's harmful to mention it now.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Hyronymus, you must remember that as is only making the graphics, coders are more likely to define the structure of the menu as they make the entire thing work. A menu such as this is one image repeated for every menu option by the code not one big image where certain points are made interactive by the code.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Hyronymus wrote:Slow down :P. Your art looks very good. But if I may make a comment: why do you put Busses part from Roads? The trick with menu's is that they shouldn't be too tedious, something they frequently forget with the Need for Speed series for example.
Its an example, not a definitive list.. just open the DOC at my first post and you will see what i sketched to design a menu on because there weren't a document like that. It's the coders job to order the menu structure.

Edit: ahh i see the post above me explained, thanks XeryusTC

Remember when i didn't make those avaters it was only a screen with some squares on it.. please dont attack me for order the menu because i dont ;)

How about the (cursor)icons ?
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

It looks very good! Also if I might suggest, maybe TE could be "skinnable" such as you would be able to change the texture on the menus or even load your own menu theme.
Oh, and the transparency of the menus Ne0Que made reminded me of Sim City 4! :D
Keep up the awesome work!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The graphics indeed look pretty awesome. But as an addition to Hyro's comment: It's also important to think about where to place what GUI option, and what to GUI elements to use (for example a simple text field, a text field with buttons for add+ and substract-, or a slider, or a multiple-choice radio buttons, for a numeric value?)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Purno wrote:The graphics indeed look pretty awesome. But as an addition to Hyro's comment: It's also important to think about where to place what GUI option, and what to GUI elements to use (for example a simple text field, a text field with buttons for add+ and substract-, or a slider, or a multiple-choice radio buttons, for a numeric value?)
i am still developing it.. it is NOT finished.......

ok, i will not post anything till it is finished.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That sounds a bit harsh, NeoQue. I don't believe anyone here wants you to stop posting anything. Neither did I (or someone else) attack you. You're only receiving feedback, be it about the company name on top of the screen or the bus stops in a different part from the roads. What I would do is accept all the feedback you get before a real decision is made about the layout as free advise. It's entirely up to you to decide how you process this free advise of course but don't stop as a result of it.

If you really can't stand free advise or remarks then I recommend not posting here though. But for some reason I don't believe you're that type of person.
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Off course feedback is welcome, but i don't like it when people are asking for stuff i haven't made yet. Thats a bit impatient.

i am also learning C++ at the moment and while i was doing that i saw that post. I got a little frustrated because the exercises in that c++ book do not compile in visual c++. It really freaks me out. So i am sorry for being so hard at that time.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Well, the downside of posting on a forum is that you will attract demands ;).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I did not demand anything, neither was I impatient, all I did was saying the graphics are only a part of the GUI, the placing of elements and menu structure are another, IMO more important, part. Please continue posting, I understand your current screenshots are just to show the graphics. Can't wait to see GUI elements like sliders, drop down boxes, text fields, etc, from you. Keep on postin' :))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Okay, im sorry ;)

Does anyone know how to run the current build in a bigger window.. its only 700px width, i need to get it at least 1024 pixels width and 600 pixels high to make a complete GUI.

thank you
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

8o Ne0Que love the design, what's more - I think it might be easly texturable (to be like stone, paper, wood, ... etc)
but even not it's awesome look.
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Indeed - the design looks splendid!
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”