[task][media] Vegetation and Nature for TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

[task][media] Vegetation and Nature for TE

Post by uzurpator »

This topic is for the work on vegetation used in transport empire. This includes trees, bushes, rocks and other miscallenny.

Current theme - temprate climate.

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Are you going to have people wandering around?

If so, what's the closest they'll be seen? (as in, 250 pixels high)

You can surely realize why is this important to me ;)

thanks

EDIT: nvm, at this quality we need people anyway to crew some vehicles, or other details. but the level of detail thing is important.

I had read all the documentation sometime in the past, I'll do it again.

Regards
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [media] Vegetation and Nature for TE

Post by dmh_mac »

uzurpator wrote:This topic is for the work on vegetation used in transport empire. This includes trees, bushes, rocks and other miscallenny.

Current theme - temprate climate.

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

uzurpator wrote: - Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
Allthough there are automated ways to derive lowpoly meshes from highpoly meshes, these methods hardly ever deliver effecient results.
Therefore I would suggest to you to keep the models at least moderately lowpoly, or failing that as poly efficient as possible.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

You should always try to be as poly efficient as possible. But that doesn't mean things should lack details. Just think for yourself when modelling: "Is anyone going to see this in game?" Just think about how far we'll be able to zoom in. I think we'll be able to zoom a little bit more in then in TTD.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Well, I feel it would be better to have a smoothly running game with the possibility to up the polycount, than a poorly running game that forces you to redo the models. I think starting off on the safe side should be considered.
In my personal opinion it's much easier to add detail/polygons to meshes than to effectively remove it without rebuilding from scratch.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

That's why I posted, because in simutrans 96 a citizen could be created with something as simple as a lego model, when you go into the 128, or even 512, you can clearly see that it IS a lego, something not desirable.

Knowing the max level of detail would help a lot.

For example, look at Homeworld, yes, it's pretty. But on the closeup the spaceships look like boxes with decals, where every ship component (tubes, etc) looks odd.

It should prove interesting to create some generic people and UV maps for them. Yay, paint your own citizens!
Attachments
closeup.png
closeup.png (189.99 KiB) Viewed 30173 times
batallion512.png
batallion512.png (85.35 KiB) Viewed 30170 times

pak96 Simutrans Depot
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Oh, I see! I thought it was going to be something like trainz. (Not that it'd be better to have supersize everything)

then if this is the case, creating UV maps for such objects is piece of cake.

Not having to recreate the interior of the cabin, etc.

Thanks for the info

pak96 Simutrans Depot
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Well, I can't tell this is the closest zoom - it may be a few tiles closer or further, but that is the general scale.

Anyhow - it is far easier to make a small model, in the scale below, then a full scale trainz-like model methinks.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Raven wrote:That's why I posted, because in simutrans 96 a citizen could be created with something as simple as a lego model, when you go into the 128, or even 512, you can clearly see that it IS a lego, something not desirable.

Knowing the max level of detail would help a lot.

For example, look at Homeworld, yes, it's pretty. But on the closeup the spaceships look like boxes with decals, where every ship component (tubes, etc) looks odd.

It should prove interesting to create some generic people and UV maps for them. Yay, paint your own citizens!
The lego man model you posted may seem low on detail but still is very much high poly. Just look at the hands.

I think that if it is decided to add a trainz like camera, the models will need another level of detail, but focus on the main use of the models first.
The game needs models that are seen from affar and they will need to be lowpoly enough to render a whole bunch of them at the same time while also rendering terrain, buildings, trees etc.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

True, though it would be cool if you would be able to watch a plane from the front while it zips through the TE landscape at high speed. But we don't need a modelled interior for that.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

The thing is, I doubted wether the max size you would see people would be the one with the scale seen in uzurpator's screenshot (or even twice as much), or something like, hmmm. Long time don't play a game :). Empire earth?
Models in empire earth were pretty crappy, but they were articulated, do we want that or a box with 4 textures?

I know the Lego are crappy, but hey, if max scale is the one seen in that screeshot, they'd be enough to get the UVmaps

pak96 Simutrans Depot
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

The point is, eventhough the lego men aren't convincing as real people when they are viewed up close, they still use way too many polygons for use in realtime 3d.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Sure, sure, sure!
I of course know that :)
when they are viewed up close
I didn't mention using lego guys, nowhere.

It was JUST an example that if rendered at TTD scale, they're enough.

And even a wheel made with a 32 sided polygon is too much for this scale, since I've never created low polygon things, high polygon is easier, and for sprites, works the same.

For people this size I expect a very very low amount of polygons, but that depends on the max size they'll have.

This guy is taken from a screenshot of empire earth, do we want that? Extra work, extra time, extra polys. If they're going to be the size of pak96 citizens, as in screenshot 2, I bet you won't be able to distinguish a box with textures taken from a lego guy or from a human shaped thing. <-- But from the lenght of the legs :)

Why the discussion if both of us think the same?

EDIT: I'd go for the 12pix height man.
Attachments
empire-earth-ii-the-art-of-supremacy--20051216032116671.jpg
empire-earth-ii-the-art-of-supremacy--20051216032116671.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 30038 times
guy2.png
guy2.png (839 Bytes) Viewed 30059 times
zoomlevel_158.jpg
zoomlevel_158.jpg (1.67 KiB) Viewed 30065 times
Last edited by Raven on 20 Mar 2007 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

pak96 Simutrans Depot
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Well I wasn't realy debating you perse. I was just responding to what uzurpator said in the first post and than elaborating on that.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Sorry, I felt a bit misunderstood :)

(argh, unable to comunicate!)

So another thing on hold, depends on max size. (IMHO) At least people.

Tress will prove a challenge.

pak96 Simutrans Depot
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

I found a site with free models, including trees in 3DS format here : http://telias.free.fr/models_3ds_menu3.html

There is a list of sites with free 3d content at http://wiki.freegamedev.net/index.php/F ... _resources. But the link above is the only vegetation resource I found.

Hope it helps.
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

TASK: I need several textures of trees - such as the one in the screen below.

Size of the image is 64x128. Transparent color is black RGB -> (0,0,0). Preferred format - whatever :P
Attachments
tree.png
tree.png (945 Bytes) Viewed 26251 times
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [task][media] Vegetation and Nature for TE

Post by ohlidalp »

Like this?
tree1.png
tree1.png (12.35 KiB) Viewed 26106 times
More coming soon
Rigs of Rods maintainer.

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”