[media] Technical content of TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

[media] Technical content of TE

Post by Purno »

This topic is for the work technical content of the TE.

Current work: GUI

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models, sounds etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.
---
by purno

I was bored, simple as that :tongue:

Whatcha think?
Attachments
te_gui.PNG
te_gui.PNG (4.86 KiB) Viewed 36336 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Looks very good :). I think that it is a good idea to have something that looks so smooth as GUI, although it also looks very Apple like.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I like the bright but not too bright colours. I suddenly realise no single transport simulator I ever played has such fresh colours. It's all very readible too.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

My opinion Purno: Be bored more often :wink: .
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thanks guys :P :))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Agreed. Lose your social life, get bored, make more UI mockups. :D
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but OpenGL/SVG, not PNG, surely?
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

benji147460127 wrote:Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but OpenGL/SVG, not PNG, surely?
What do you mean, not PNG but OGL/SVG? Your sentence doesn't make any sense to me :roll:.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

benji147460127 wrote:Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but OpenGL/SVG, not PNG, surely?
Let me try to translate that for all those english speaking people :wink:
benji147460127 should have wrote:Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but shouldn't you use OpenGL/SVG, instead of PNG.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Or in other words, please use Vector graphics and not static images.
(This way you can zoom the GUI elements without quality lose)
Consindering a 3D Engine is used, thats not a bad idea, I wonder if Cairo is in an usable state...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hmm.... why would you need to zoom in at the GUI and such?

I can't really draw with vectors...
I can try to draw some stuffies with either Adobe Illustrator or AutoCAD, but I'm not as talented with that as simple pixel works...

A GUI isn't 3D, right? It's a flat thing on the screen... AFAICT.
Image Image
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Purno wrote:Hmm.... why would you need to zoom in at the GUI and such?
Perhaps because I run games at 1920x1200 and my little brother runs games at 1024x768?
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hellfire wrote:
Purno wrote:Hmm.... why would you need to zoom in at the GUI and such?
Perhaps because I run games at 1920x1200 and my little brother runs games at 1024x768?
Well, usually when I pick higher resolution, I do it because I can fit more at one screen. I do it because the GUI windows and such are smaller. Would there really be something against a small GUI (small fonts etc) at a high resolution?
Image Image
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Purno - if the interface is built of 3d elements, not bitmaps, then it would be the building blocks - eg you would not put an image, but say "shade the polygon this way".

But frankly - we will not escape using textures - alas you want to use a model for each and every icon in the game.

Ivho it would be better to have textures in some ungodly resolution and MIP them into the proper size on the interface.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure this discussion has much relevance, isn't this obviously a prototype? Given you can't just draw working drop down boxes, we're going to have to make them in SVG or whatever later on, but for now this at least shows a concept of style.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Is there a freeware tool available which can make those vector GUIs and is preferrebly not too complicated?
Image Image
benji147460127
Engineer
Engineer

Post by benji147460127 »

There is Inkscape, which is Free SoftwareTM, that's very good, and cross-platform, though don't expect it to perform well on windows. I will help you with it gladly if you so ask.

I live in England, so please do not patronise me as a poor miseducated Dutch person when I make a vague attempt to be poetic.

Uzurpator -- I do not intend that the entire UI should be 3D -- but vectors are the way forward: easier to generate mathematically, less space, they look better, they're scalable...

If there is such a large difference in resolution as the one stated, then some sort of zooming function may be called for. Certainly TTD is a bit small at 1280x1024@60Hz on a 17" screen, so I would like to be able to increase the size of the UI to fit me. Vectors permit that.

And whoever asked, Cairo has been fine for 12 months or more.
~Ben

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

benji147460127 wrote:I live in England, so please do not patronise me as a poor miseducated Dutch person when I make a vague attempt to be poetic.
Eh?

Anyway, I would like it if the GUI is scalable, and vector graphics seem to facilitate that quite nicely. I wonder whether Blender models can use vector graphics as textures. :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I tried something with AutoCAD, as it's the only vector tool I know how to draw exact arcs and perfect horizontal lines with.
Attachments
GUI1.zip
dgw file of quick GUI sketch.
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Guys, I've got news, TRoS will support a scalable GUI. This is done very easily by an ortho matrix, which is already implemented and it would only have to be changed so the GUI will be scalable. This also allows to have a scalable GUI with bitmaps :).

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”