[media] Technical content of TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

M4rek wrote:can we have a hexagonal grid instead of square or triangular?
it might make some of the track laying easier...

(im sorry if this is in the wrong thread because i have no idea where to put it)
A hexagon can be made from triangles, hence triangles are better. (Not to mention OpenGL readily uses them to render)
Squares can also be made from triangles...They are also easier to program for/with and are more natural, which is why I suspect it was picked.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

aarona wrote:
M4rek wrote:can we have a hexagonal grid instead of square or triangular?
it might make some of the track laying easier...

(im sorry if this is in the wrong thread because i have no idea where to put it)
A hexagon can be made from triangles, hence triangles are better. (Not to mention OpenGL readily uses them to render)
Squares can also be made from triangles...They are also easier to program for/with and are more natural, which is why I suspect it was picked.
Just what I though.

I would not be surprised if that [RFD] have been brought up on a meeting, then I created the thread, and then on next meeting we took the result of the poll and said this is what we will do.

I could be wrong, but to me it seams resonable.

I've diged abit in the meeting logs, and the meeting where the formal decision for rectangular cells is this: http://transportempire.com/logs/minutes19032005.txt

You can find logs and minutes for most meetings at www.transportempire.com.

In this Discussion-forum there should be an old thread about rectangural/triangular cells. Probably also a poll, that did not turn out to be in big enought majority for a decision to be taken, therefor a dev-poll was created to have a final decission.

/Enough
Those of you who are on the ship at the moment and feal that some old decisions are totaly wrong, change them if you want, but don't get in the trap where you change things back and forth and never ever goes forward. For the project it is good if not to many changes in the cource are made, but if many leave becuse they don't like it it is neither good.

Bha
Now I'v poluted this thread enough! :p
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

this thread seems to have become the general TE thread
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

At the moment I'm almost done with the first stage of writing a comprehensive DD. The second stage will be scrutinising all RFD, DD and poll topics on this forum for possible supplements to the DD I got from stage 1. I already fear the worst, being that the DD I (almost) have now will change significantly again.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i have a feeling this project sort of died and was recently ressurected...

this often results in the entire project being rebuilt based on what was there when it died. yeap, i feel change heading this way.
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

M4rek wrote:i have a feeling this project sort of died and was recently ressurected...

this often results in the entire project being rebuilt based on what was there when it died. yeap, i feel change heading this way.
And now more comprehensive please.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

To go back to the topic,I'll bring this menu to public. :)

Yet I have not implemented mouse interaction. When that is done, the item that the mouse is pointing at should get selected in some way.

Well, the idea was, a popup actions menu for a project of my own. The thing I want to purpose is "simplicity". Sure, this it is way much easier to produce a simple menu, than a window. I know, but ATM I don't need windows so therefor I havn't made any. (well I'v actially written a sort of window manager for SDL, but thats another story)

Another example of simplicity I like to bring is Wesnoth. Theier windows just have a narrow border. Then again, in their game you can't and don't need to move around the windows. But still, the simplicity in look and feal is possible to lend.
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 19729 times
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i agree that we shouldnt have thick borders, and dragging boxes could (inteface-wise) be done by dragging the edge or empty area of the box

any other thoughts anyone?

EDIT: corrected typo
Last edited by m4rek on 12 Nov 2006 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Looking back at the whole of this thread, I actually prefer the first mockup from the first post. It is more like the TTD style, which is what I was thinking that it should be.

However, I also like the toggle buttons that Purno also did.

And this is the start of what I had in mind.

My thoughts at the moment are that I like the general style of the first image, but that it needs more colour.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DominionSpy wrote:My thoughts at the moment are that I like the general style of the first image, but that it needs more colour.
You mean the color needs to be more bright, or that it needs more different colors?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Purno wrote:You mean the color needs to be more bright, or that it needs more different colors?
That it needs more different colours. I like the gentle blue of your mock up - I think the blue in mine is probably a little too strong.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

You can always make a grey GUI, and overlay it with a color so you can make very different colors without too much hassle with your drawing program. It is also quite good to make all windows in a different color, although I wouldn't prefer it if you would do that.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

DominionSpy wrote:Image
you dont need to use the TTD pallete! :wink:
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I like having a palette when doing pixel-art. In this case TTD palette was good enough, but I use other palettes at times.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

We will probably get someone to make it 24 bit in the end anyway, but it is good enough mockups and early GUI windows.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyro found this image of mine;

(original topic: https://tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8482 )

Apparantly I made this. Looks quite awesome, if I may say myself...
Image Image
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Everyone wrote:...awesome...
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

id almost agree... i dont like it

it looks far too much like some sort of operating system...

IIRC, we were going to have the option of changing the UI skin, in that case its very very good, but not for me. if this option is available, i vote for a ttd skin! :D
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

w00t Purno :bow:

That is a really nice GUI, maybe you could do it in a somewhat more fitting theme (as voted for in the GUI look thread).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:That is a really nice GUI, maybe you could do it in a somewhat more fitting theme (as voted for in the GUI look thread).
And how would such a GUI look like? I mean, I can change the colors, of course...
Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”