[media] Technical content of TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

The dithering looks a bit primitive.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

aarona wrote:The dithering looks a bit primitive.
What's that, the dots in the texture? If it's a texture I guess you can replace it or possibly, depending on the tool, specify the density.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

aarona wrote:The dithering looks a bit primitive.
That's what you get with pixel art...

EDIT: (and it's not a real texture. It's drawn pixel-by-pixel for every object. Made with old-style techniques.)

EDIT: Tried something with using colors with less brightness-difference;
Attachments
Purple, 5/255 difference
Purple, 5/255 difference
metal_window13.PNG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
Mauve, 5/255 difference
Mauve, 5/255 difference
metal_window12.PNG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
Green, 10/255 difference
Green, 10/255 difference
metal_window11.PNG (7.08 KiB) Viewed 8383 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Did some testing with InkScape and it looks promising for giving effects to images. Of course this isn't anywhere close to finished.
Attachments
test.svg
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Could you provide us with a screenshot too? :>
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Here:
Attachments
test_175.png
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Found the export feature myself now. Inkscape is very powerful, although a tad bit unstable at times. Here is a mock-up for the main menu. Colours are just a quick choice so don't blame me for being on drugs.
Attachments
test.png
test.png (27.15 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I tried some thingies in Inkscape too. Tho it's powerful, it'll take quite a while to master it good enough to make a GUI which is more beautiful than those pixel-art-ones of mine.

EDIT: Added attachment
Attachments
Inkscape - testing.png
Inkscape - testing.png (11.81 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
Inkscape - testing.png
Inkscape - testing.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I continued work on the pixel-art GUI.

EDIT: Added window previews.
Attachments
te_metal_togglebuttons.PNG
te_metal_togglebuttons.PNG (6.67 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
metal_window15.PNG
metal_window15.PNG (6.76 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
metal_window14.PNG
metal_window14.PNG (6.57 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I like type B more, I think it looks more like the button is actually selected.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Agreed. They're more clear and they are similar to the checkboxes I designed.

BTW, this GUI is, as you probably can see, based on RCT/LoMo. What do you guys think about that?
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I didn't really like the RCT building method in LoMo, my fingers are still a bit sore of playing LoMo intensively a long time ago. I would like to advocate another building method, but this thread isn't meant for that so I won't.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Construction method

Post by maquinista »

I like the "A" buttons more.

About the construction method, I think that is better using a double method:
RCT method: for building curves, elevations, crossings...
TTD method: for building long straight lines.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The TTD method is superior to the RCT method, but the TTD method isn't usuable if you want to have curves instead of 45 degree corners.

Tho, it would be nice if it was easier to drop a curve of track anywhere on the map, and not being restricted to continue building where you were building.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

I think we should base the interface on ttd instead of LoMo, and improve on it... I feel LoMo is beyond improvement, as it is an interface NOT designed in anyway for this type of game.

Parts of the LoMo interface COULD be used as a basis for improving the ttd interface. But I strongly disagree with using LoMo interface as a base.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

True. First thing, about this part of the GUI, is to see wether we want to use multi-tile curves (as LoMo did). It was no improvement in LoMo, mainly because there's not enough space to build junctions at the map, IMO.

I'll see if there's any decision about this in the DD...
Image Image
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

The advantage of the TTD method is that with the very simple building blocks, you can make complex junctions and track systems - the "smallest junction contest" is testament to that.

However, the advantage of LoMo and RCT is that the final track looks much better and smoother.

I think that the LoMo/RCT look is much more suited to a 3D environment, and the TTD laying method is more suited for a transport game.

Might there be a possibility of some sort of usable hybrid?
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Wouldn't it be possible to draw tracks with the mouse on the map, and have the game engine determine the best possible layout? If we could get that working it would be revolutionary. 8)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You mean it'd calculate the cheapest or fastest route of a track?

Dunno if that's a good thing, TBH. AFAICT, most players want to design their own tracks. Tho, it could be an option I guess. It does not replace the GUI however...
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

What I was thinking of is more the pencil tool in paint (one you're probably quite familiar with :wink: ). My idea is simply drawing the track on the 3d map.

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”