[media] Technical content of TE

Discussions pertaining to the development of graphics for Transport Empire.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Arathorn wrote:What I was thinking of is more the pencil tool in paint (one you're probably quite familiar with :wink: ). My idea is simply drawing the track on the 3d map.
But still using tiles? (or, large pixels, if you wanna compare it with paint :tongue: )
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

you could have the lomo gui, plus! straight and diagonal staight track can be built with the tt drag, optionally, so you have the option both,
or 'lay XYZ # of track pieces in a straight line' ?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Or, be able to build a piece of track anywhere (including dragging) by clicking on the map, and building a track piece where you were building (LoMo/RCT way) by clicking a button on the GUI. Something like that is what I'm thinking about...

EDIT: btw, could some Mod split this topic into a topic about the GUI Graphics, and about the GUI Layout and such?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Purno wrote:
Arathorn wrote:What I was thinking of is more the pencil tool in paint (one you're probably quite familiar with :wink: ). My idea is simply drawing the track on the 3d map.
But still using tiles? (or, large pixels, if you wanna compare it with paint :tongue: )
Tiles yes, but (semi-)fluent tracks. See the attachment. The engine will make the wacky line fluent if it's smart enough. :wink:
Attachments
like this.JPG
like this.JPG (11.99 KiB) Viewed 8926 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ah, then you could use splines as well, kinda like the way Trainz/TRS handles it...
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Arathorn is basicly suggesting what I also wanted to suggest, you draw a line and the game applies a cubic/bezier splane algoritm on it (it creates a smooth line between all the points, they are basicly the same, but bezier also implies a tangent you can edit). They both present a very powerfull method of laying tracks, it is used in Theme Park World for example.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Then you've got to work out how you adjust it afterwards. With a beizer curve or any spline you've got control points, but I think these would be confusing in a track-laying context.

Did we decide on having 8 main directions like TTD or having any direction?

For 8 directions I was just playing about with having multi-tile curves (a bit like RCT) and came up with this system:

In TTD the end-points of the track were the tile edges, whereas here it is using the tile centre-point. I think something like this would satisfy both the simplicity and flexibility criteria.

Edit: This could still be used with a gui for selecting third-rail/catenary/cog and single/double track.
Attachments
track2.png
track2.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

i was thinking, we could have both diagonal and curves, the user would drag the track as required, and then the game would turn the diagonal track into a curve if it was smaller than the maximum radius for curves, and there is enough room.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DominionSpy, very interesting idea. Tho you'd probably want several curve radiusses in case peeps want to build double track, or for speed-limit gameplay (smaller curves got lower speed limit).

Robotboy, dunno what you mean, TBH.
Image Image
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Purno wrote:DominionSpy, very interesting idea. Tho you'd probably want several curve radiusses in case peeps want to build double track, or for speed-limit gameplay (smaller curves got lower speed limit).
Yes, that's true.

You could have it so that once you've chosen the corner piece, you could choose the radius on this GUI window.

I wonder if robotboy is talking about a local smoothing algorithm where instead of one long curve (like in Arathorn's post), it would put in smaller curves. Look at the new blue line in this picture and see how I've put segments (similar to my suggested ones).
Attachments
like_this_245b.png
like_this_245b.png (70.04 KiB) Viewed 8862 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i was wondering... we could have 3 different lengths of curves and leave it at that

as well as having your straight peices in 8 directions and pieces for swithcing between parallel pieces of track
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

As noted above, this thread really need a split..

Secondly, I want to point out something that migt not be verry important for discussion about building-tools, but still not unimportant. That is how cells will be devided.
Zuu wrote:
Minutes for the FRD special meeting of Mars 12, 2005 wrote:

Code: Select all

* VOTE: freedom or cell-based?
              A) True freedom: track endpoints can be placed anywhere
              B) Cell based: a limited set of track pieces are available, which can be placed on the cells of the map.
              C) "In between", as freedom, but the endpoints snap to a grid that is smaller or equal to the grid of the map.

RESULT: a: 0 b: 0 c: 5

* A long discussion about where to snap points will be located followed.
        * But we couldn't came to a decision, so we decided to postpone the decision until the coding phase.
(from the (current) end of this thread.)

I don't know if a meeting or the DC have changed any desicions from my active time here, but unless that, this decision should be vaild. Also, the wiki where the current DD is seam to be down at the moment.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

can we have a hexagonal grid instead of square or triangular?
it might make some of the track laying easier...

(im sorry if this is in the wrong thread because i have no idea where to put it)
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Square tiles have already been agreed on in the Design Document, AFAICT.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

thats probably because the poll had only triangular or square tiles to choose from
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

M4rek wrote:thats probably because the poll had only triangular or square tiles to choose from
Nopes, no such a poll. Such things is decided upon in the meetings. No multiple-choice there.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=14202

perhaps this might have had something to do with it
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye. Hmm... I guess we could bring it up in the meeting again, to see wether people find it necessary to vote again. I'd hereby invite you to the meetings.
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

yay!

whens the next meeting and where?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, no topic about it. I'll create one tho.

The minutes of previous meeting ( http://www.tt-forums.net//files/minutes061025_614.txt ) say it's 11th November, 1800 GMT.
Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Graphics”