Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:58 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

This topic is for the work technical content of the TE.

Current work: GUI

If you want to submit media content for TE which follows this theme - please do this here.

Media might include - textures, models, sounds etc.
General rules:

- Higher polycount and resolution is better then lower polycount and resolution
- Format is irrelevant as long as it is relatively common or can be converted to a common format (blender, maya, 3d studio etc).
- The content posted here is considered under GPL license. Therefore if you post, your work automatically becomes GPLd.
---
by purno

I was bored, simple as that :tongue:

Whatcha think?

Attachments:
te_gui.PNG
te_gui.PNG [ 4.86 KiB | Viewed 17191 times ]

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:41 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Looks very good :). I think that it is a good idea to have something that looks so smooth as GUI, although it also looks very Apple like.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:02 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I like the bright but not too bright colours. I suddenly realise no single transport simulator I ever played has such fresh colours. It's all very readible too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:34 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

My opinion Purno: Be bored more often :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thanks guys :P :))

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:40 pm 
Transport Empire Developer

Agreed. Lose your social life, get bored, make more UI mockups. :D

| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+

[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:51 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but OpenGL/SVG, not PNG, surely?

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984
Where will Bill have you dragged today?
Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:27 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

benji147460127 wrote:

What do you mean, not PNG but OGL/SVG? Your sentence doesn't make any sense to me :roll:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:25 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

benji147460127 wrote:

Let me try to translate that for all those english speaking people :wink:
benji147460127 should have wrote:
Not to be a killjoy (that's a great UI), but shouldn't you use OpenGL/SVG, instead of PNG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:02 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Or in other words, please use Vector graphics and not static images.
(This way you can zoom the GUI elements without quality lose)
Consindering a 3D Engine is used, thats not a bad idea, I wonder if Cairo is in an usable state...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:07 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hmm.... why would you need to zoom in at the GUI and such?

I can't really draw with vectors...
I can try to draw some stuffies with either Adobe Illustrator or AutoCAD, but I'm not as talented with that as simple pixel works...

A GUI isn't 3D, right? It's a flat thing on the screen... AFAICT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:45 am 

Purno wrote:

Perhaps because I run games at 1920x1200 and my little brother runs games at 1024x768?

Code:
+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+

[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]

Under construction...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:04 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hellfire wrote:
Purno wrote:

Perhaps because I run games at 1920x1200 and my little brother runs games at 1024x768?

Well, usually when I pick higher resolution, I do it because I can fit more at one screen. I do it because the GUI windows and such are smaller. Would there really be something against a small GUI (small fonts etc) at a high resolution?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:26 am 
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Purno - if the interface is built of 3d elements, not bitmaps, then it would be the building blocks - eg you would not put an image, but say "shade the polygon this way".

But frankly - we will not escape using textures - alas you want to use a model for each and every icon in the game.

Ivho it would be better to have textures in some ungodly resolution and MIP them into the proper size on the interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:11 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'm not sure this discussion has much relevance, isn't this obviously a prototype? Given you can't just draw working drop down boxes, we're going to have to make them in SVG or whatever later on, but for now this at least shows a concept of style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:21 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Is there a freeware tool available which can make those vector GUIs and is preferrebly not too complicated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:50 am 
Engineer
Engineer

There is Inkscape, which is Free SoftwareTM, that's very good, and cross-platform, though don't expect it to perform well on windows. I will help you with it gladly if you so ask.

I live in England, so please do not patronise me as a poor miseducated Dutch person when I make a vague attempt to be poetic.

Uzurpator -- I do not intend that the entire UI should be 3D -- but vectors are the way forward: easier to generate mathematically, less space, they look better, they're scalable...

If there is such a large difference in resolution as the one stated, then some sort of zooming function may be called for. Certainly TTD is a bit small at 1280x1024@60Hz on a 17" screen, so I would like to be able to increase the size of the UI to fit me. Vectors permit that.

And whoever asked, Cairo has been fine for 12 months or more.

Microsoft Visual Bios (C) 1984

Where will Bill have you dragged today?

Press CTRL-ALT-F1-END-ESC-INS for Visual Cmos setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:31 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

benji147460127 wrote:
I live in England, so please do not patronise me as a poor miseducated Dutch person when I make a vague attempt to be poetic.

Eh?

Anyway, I would like it if the GUI is scalable, and vector graphics seem to facilitate that quite nicely. I wonder whether Blender models can use vector graphics as textures. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:36 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I tried something with AutoCAD, as it's the only vector tool I know how to draw exact arcs and perfect horizontal lines with.

Attachments:
File comment: dgw file of quick GUI sketch.
GUI1.zip [6.47 KiB]
Downloaded 458 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:38 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Guys, I've got news, TRoS will support a scalable GUI. This is done very easily by an ortho matrix, which is already implemented and it would only have to be changed so the GUI will be scalable. This also allows to have a scalable GUI with bitmaps :).