The Animation Thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
odisseus
Director
Director

The Animation Thread

Post by odisseus »

There are many screenshot threads on this forum... but animated game captures are quite rare. This is a pity, because we all love to see those trains move round and round in complex and repeatable patterns.

So here I am, inaugurating the first thread dedicated for animations only.
These waiting bays can compress trains of any length into 5x3 blocks. This works only with 2-way end of line.
These waiting bays can compress trains of any length into 5x3 blocks. This works only with 2-way end of line.
rolled-waiting-bays.gif (655.35 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
Please post your own animations, but try to keep them small! Here are some great tips for minimizing the GIF size.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: The Animation Thread

Post by odisseus »

Here's another one. Unfortunately, the moving background makes the GIF very, very large. I had to crop very aggressively, and it's still too large for an attachment.

odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Here's one that shows the operation of an overflow depot. The motivation behind this design and the required game settings are explained in the openttdcoop wiki.

Its main advantage is in hiding the depot from the pathfinder. The pathfinder considers it inaccessible until the very moment when the train reverses at the end of the spur, thus trains in need of maintenance will never be sent to that depot.

This simple design also has a significant drawback: while there's a train on the spur entering the depot, another train cannot proceed to the station entrance even if the path is free. As a consequence, this overflow is very inefficient for long trains.
A hidden overflow depot in front of a station entrance.
A hidden overflow depot in front of a station entrance.
overflow.gif (712.02 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Here's a scene enhanced by subtle animation effects. Although the work is not mine, it fits the subject of this thread, so I took the liberty to repost it here.
fridaemon wrote: 28 May 2023 09:10 Image
By the way, this is an entry in the screenshot competition for May 2023.

Return to “Screenshots”