[OTTD] Geo Ghost makes some screenshots..

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Geo Ghost

[OTTD] Geo Ghost makes some screenshots..

Post by Geo Ghost »

Well it's been a while since I've played OTTD, and much longer since I shared anything. So long in fact that any old screenshots make me feel old!

I've got a few games saved. One of which is getting on 8 years old I think! Though I got to the point eventually where I wanted to do something new. One thing I wanted to do was make a game which prioritised the most efficient running of many trains, and also getting into timetabling and spacing trains out effectively. Also started to dabble with cargo distribution... and realised how mad it sends my services and stations.

The plan was to have a mainline stretching the length of the map with a fast & slow line, branching off at the ends to the 4 corners of the map. However the junctions needed to be large enough to handle what I plan to be a large amount of traffic and able to keep things moving. Likewise any other large junctions or approaches to stations needed to be the same. I ended up adopting a RO-RO system for some of the cities and the main central city became a large terminus for the mainlines, with some avoiding lines to go through for freight and future changes.

Slowly adding in more trains and upgrading parts of the network to handle the volume. Some of the stations have proved the trickiest making them large enough to handle the constant volume of trains whilst at the same time compact enough for the cities and planned to avoid trains being delayed and held.
In some locations, this is where the reverse sidings are now playing a critical role. Enabling a train to 'terminate' and run empty into the sidings between the running line. They then have sometimes up to 25 days wait time there before returning to the station to load up and continue back to their origin. The biggest advantage is clearing space on the mainline and also giving the trains time to catch-up when delayed.
Freight services do not run to any timetable due to there being no need to regulate them :P
The airports are located for each of the main 5 cities both to increase the station catchment area, and for transporting mail plus valuables between the cities. The Goods Terminal to the mid-west is perhaps a lot larger than the current rail traffic it is handling, but this is primarily to allow for expansion of goods services.

Anyway, enough background.. on with the screenshots!
(Bonus points for guessing the relevance of some of the city names!)

Also working on another game with a very ambitious and complicated project! Stay tuned for that one...
Attachments
South-East main station Connington.
South-East main station Connington.
MRC_Connington.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 518 times
MRC_Everton.png
North-East main station Everton. Everton is currently the largest of the cities despite being held back from expanding across the railway line. I've avoided this for the moment till all the track work is completed.
(2.34 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Thamesford.png
North-West main station Thamesford. The city expanded rapidly making it difficult to upgrade the station. This is why there are 6 local-service platforms split in a linear fashion. If the first 3 are full, then trains can divert around to the next 3.
(3.29 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_SevenGate Central.png
South-West main station Seven Gate.
Recently upgraded with the goods depot moved to allow the city to expand some more.
(2.37 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Draftborough Junction.png
Draftborough South Junction station is the only one not in a town or city. This is built only as a transfer station where 5 lines come together. 3 from the south and two from the north. Originally, each line coming through had just two platforms. However when I doubled up some of the services, I ended up with a tailback of some 13 trains and rising. Thus it needed a complete redesign and rethink. The design now is based on the real-life Cambridge station with two platforms in a linear fashion, through line, and cross over in the middle. The difference here is that there are also another set of platforms on the other side of the through line.
This means I can pack the station down into a smaller space whilst increasing its efficiency.
(1.17 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Draftborough Junction 2.png
Junction to the North is a tad messy. Currently not all lines are used, but the option is there for the future still. Trains run onto a dedicated line long before the junction so more traffic can be handled at once. How that'll change int he future we have yet to see!
(2.58 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Gaffingbourne.png
Gaffingbourne, originally just a 4 platformed through-station. When upgrading the network in preparation for more services, I upgraded it to 6 platforms. 3 UP, and 3 DOWN. Trains from the cities were usually fully loaded which meant most stations were only having about 5-10% of their passengers moved. To help ease this, I started a shuttle service and added a reverse siding but again the tail-backs started. Thus the station has nearly nearly 3 times the number of platforms it originally had and 4 of which are dedicated for the shuttle services terminating and returning.
(2.03 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Lunbridge Goods Junction.png
Main junction for Goods services. There's about 3 freight lines which span west from here, plus the main fast & main slow lines passing through. At times the freight services suddenly all turn up at once and thus it needed a rather complicated way to feed trains through the junction and leave space for others queuing for the steel plant.
(3.83 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Puffingburg Reverser.png
Puffingburg station plus the reverse siding. One of the more prettier stations I feel and I enjoyed designing this one!

Complete with an "Authorised Walking Route" from the sidings back to the station, signal box, and Driver Depot/Mess Room in the sidings. Hey, gotta remember the important details ;)
(1.15 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Wrennbury Goods Terminal.png
Wrennbury Goods Terminal during a quiet moment. Factory, Oil Refinery, and a sawmill just off screen supply all the goods across the map. Everything comes from this one location. Oil is shipped in from the bay where, for some reason, Oil Rigs keep popping up like crazy! Wood, steel, grain, and livestock is brought in from various locations by rail.
(2.74 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Stanborough Platforms.png
And finally.. my main station is primary city of focus - Stanborough.
This is where the company HQ is located, and by far the largest and most complex station. This location alone deals with at least 13 main train routes, plus some shuttle services along those as well. Boasting 26 passenger platforms (plus 3 freight) currently in 5 'groups'. From left to right it goes South-Local services. North-Local services. North&South-Express services. West/East-Local Services. And the Freight terminus for goods. Also attached is an airport for primarily Mail and valuables, and a tram link for distributing passengers into the city.
The station is currently at a state where I'm happy with its size and that it can cope with the volume of future services I have planned.
(1.23 MiB) Not downloaded yet
MRC_Stanborough North Approach.png
The north-end approach for Stanborough. The Slow & fast mainlines are relatively simple, going underground as must as possible to allow for city expansion.
The East/West local lines however are not Roll-n/Roll-off due to space. Because of the level of services that can swarm into the station, the approach junction is a web of tracks and junctions allowing for trains to pick different lines and avoid one another without having to stop and give way as much as a standard junction. It is a bit messy, but I've managed about 20 trains storming in and out on testing and sure some did have to stop and tail back, but everything still ran more or less smoothly.
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Geo Ghost makes some screenshots..

Post by STD »

Your train stations are really huge. It's awesome. With great pleasure I looked at all the screenshots. Thank you :)) . I will wait for new screenshots from you :wink: .

Regards, STD.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Those are some really big stations. I like Thamesford best.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Thamesford may be from Thamesmead and Dartford, to me...
skummel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skummel »

Can we se a Grf list ?
Wich trams is that on Stanborough staition
How can the same S*** happens to the same guy ----- twice

John McClane
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

They are from eGRVTS, downloadable in the Online Content.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

acs121 wrote:Thamesford may be from Thamesmead and Dartford, to me...
Not bad thinking, but afraid not.

Thamesford, Everton, Connington, and Stanborough all have a particular link in real life :)

Another little project I have been working on now and then.
Well, I say little project. That could be the single biggest underestimate in my history of playing Transport Tycoon.....
Great Northern & East Coast, 04-01-2012.png
Yes, that's right. This is the approach to Kings Cross as accurate as possible.
(417.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Great Northern & East Coast, 04-01-2012#1.png
You have no idea how long it took to try and make Hornsey Depot on this game.
The spacing for a number of placed is quite far off, but that's hardly surprising when you're working with blocks.

Have yet to label the signals in HEMUD.
(501.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
So far I've only got as far as Alexandra Palace and I started this project about... a year and a half ago I think?
The big aim was to do the entire route to Peterborough and Cambridge, including the Hertford loop, and possibly try and do the TL-Core.

Nothing like a challenge ay?

Return to “Screenshots”