[OTTD] New Dave City - The Return of the Screenshot

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] New Dave City - The Return of the Screenshot

Post by Kevo00 »

Nice work Dave, that's a cool network building up with much horseplay...I enjoy a varied system with different types of line.

Must get round to working out how to get JGR to run on my Mac.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm rather enjoying this game, having fought through the "what's next" bit...

In 1946, the Corporation of Scarborough had recognised the city's incessant growth required a radical new plan. Having jealously watched on as Bristol's liberal council embraced the railway's desire to complete a circular line around that city, Scarborough enlisted the services of the Midland to embark on a joint venture. James Renwick Smith, previously Director, Freight had succeeded the late Arthur Allan Dawson, who was rather more conservative than his replacement. Smith leapt at the opportunity, and the Scarborough Railway was born...

First, here's how Bristol ended up, with diesel units threading in with the main line traffic. Aside from the busy (but rather haphazard) bus network, the congestion around Bristol is now apparent - various diesel units litter the area, whilst a Marine Line express hauled by an Upcountry 4-6-0 awaits departure for Scarborough. Arriving is a heavy 0-8-0 Haar, rarely allocated to fast fish vans from South Bay Shrimp Limited. Expanding to 6 platforms is on the cards, but a second station may need to be sought.
bristol 1950.PNG
(660.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
So the next four years saw an ambitious plan develop. Familiar with the issues of a single station, the approach was to create a second terminus on the opposite side of the city near to the Walter Smith meat market. This was duly christened Southend Victoria. A light (but main line) railway was then threaded from the station down through the old town, round below the city's financial district into a sunk station at Victoria. The line then proceeded to a triangular junction with the under construction line to Godchester, finally realising the company's original expansion plans in 1931.

A few pictures follow. I won't name the individual trains but note the massive difference between Scarborough station from the last post and this one - some creative earthworks were required, including rerouting the river. Further round are the Walter Smiths sidings - cows and pigs arrive from deep in the Westcountry near Quemerford, generating large profit.
west scarborough.PNG
west scarborough.PNG (452.79 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
scarborough south.PNG
scarborough south.PNG (587.44 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Finally, it scares me how quickly the town is growing - the town window reports every 2 days! When the loop stations went in I provided a couple of periphery roads over the railway - and they've already made use! Note the triangular junction - nothing's using that yet. And also, Scarborough's bus system is rather more planned - north south routes use the two stations as hubs, with a central station acting as a bus interchange. The passenger numbers are eyewatering, but it all works quite nicely!
scarborough n-e.PNG
(658.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Away from the big town, the railway's aforementioned deal with farmers in the westcountry has led to the establishment of sidings at Westridge Farm - coinciding with the construction of the Westcountry Railway, for now reaching Folkestone - it climbs over the railway and the River Quemer by way of a single track wooden tressle bridge, which rattles alarmingly in the wind. Again for comparison, note the changes that have taken place around the previously rural railway to Quemerford in this shot.
quemerford.PNG
quemerford.PNG (526.55 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
I'm absolutely loving Iron Horse, and properly rolling back the years with some of this! I don't know whether it happened in my absence, or whether JGR's PP has got something to do with it, but you can build some really organic looking spaces within towns now.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Whilst writing that last post I decided to fix Bristol now. Welcome to 6 platformville.
Attachments
bristol-post.PNG
(564.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

No doubt! I could have used the metro trains but thought I’d base it on a suburban commuter line concept instead.

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

I've been a bit busy which has restricted my weekend enjoyment, and today I've played but largely just tinkered and added some new routes (although not much infrastructure).

Except in Bristol... Where passengers numbers are vast and growth has left large swathes of the city unserved as it ticked over to 30,000.

Here's Bristol in 1954, before my efforts. Note the vast bits of city with no stations at all...
bristol-1954.png
bristol-1954.png (865.16 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Here's a simple bus stop added to the Northbank area of the city, which also connects with Orrell to the north. There are similar efforts at Birchfield and HMP Bristol
northbank-1958.png
northbank-1958.png (429.06 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
In this shot we see the realised need to re-locate Weston Park to allow a better use of the railway space nearer to Bristol station - a tunnel was retro-fitted over the old station site, and a junction placed on the land above. Said junction may reveal the wider work... Meanwhile - also in the bottom left are portals to two new tunnel bores running under the city - this has allowed the diversion of several Westcountry freight trains to avoid the station - these rejoin the Freckleton freight and Scarborough Main lines via the Middlesbrough West Curves.
weston-park-1958.png
weston-park-1958.png (445.32 KiB) Viewed 8312 times
Oh yes, about that work. A loop now leaves the Scarborough Main Line to turn south and then west through the suburbs, meeting the newly-completed Westcountry cut-off at Ripon. Incidentally, the cut-off extends the Ripon line south, feeding directly into the branch at Montrose, before joining the Westcountry Main Line at Canterbury and on to the southern terminus at Holmfirth via Andover.
bristol-south-district-1958.png
bristol-south-district-1958.png (960.07 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
And so in 1958, here we are... A city fit for the 20th century, with a cohesive bus network supplementing an expansive suburban railway!
bristol-calling-1958.png
bristol-calling-1958.png (538.76 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Amazing networks - and hopefully the prisoners don't use the bus to escape :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've worked quite extensively on the network tonight, expanding across much of the extreme south and west of the map linking Holmsea (formerly Holmfirth...) to the city of Consett via the Causeway Line, which does run on something vaguely resembling a causeway. Consett is also the future terminus of the South Coast Main Line, but for now has settled for a line via Newborough to Scarborough Victoria. And for the first time, this line is electrified.

At Consett we see a meeting of services - DMUs from Holmsea depart and a new electric locomotive standing ready at the head of an Express to Scarborough. Note the electrification ends at the station.
consett.PNG
consett.PNG (350.25 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Halfway along the line is a branch to the village of Oldcastle - ostensibly a favour to the local council, the branch was nevertheless electrified to 6.25kV AC alongside the main line. For now, with no EMUs on the market, a spare DMU is being used. The Western Division had wanted to send an old 2-car Deasil, but the Midland board insisted on taking a Slammer on account of its higher top speed, since it'd be mixing with 90mph trains on the Main Line. Here it is arriving at Oldcastle with a main line service thundering by.
oldcastle-dmu.PNG
oldcastle-dmu.PNG (176.73 KiB) Viewed 7987 times
The Slammer missed out on the livery transition from the light blue of the early DMU period, and so sticks out quite noticeably against the shinier DMUs here at a busy Scarborough Victoria - the darker blue is the new livery for non-regional trains. Scarborough's suburban network has adopted a deep green and red colour scheme which it intends to spread to its buses in due course. The electric locomotive also has its own scheme, favouring a black all over job with a light blue around the cant rail and roof. Its carriages are painted in corresponding colours.

(Can't believe I'm doing livery froth on an OTTD screenshot - the grouping stuff is brilliant!)
busy-sca-vic.PNG
busy-sca-vic.PNG (228.18 KiB) Viewed 7987 times

Flickr

Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Excellent, looks like a real world transition fest!
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

I was inspired by your screenshots to start playing using Ironhorse. Your screenshots are marvellous!
Hoping that you would post new screenshots in the upcoming year.
Yours
SIG.
Nothing to put here!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Been over a year, but I finally managed to coax my laptop to life again, and started a new game... Meet the Bushbury and South Western Railway...

1900 start, with new Horse and Steeltown FIRS (as tribute, I used my own Black Country town names - an area chock full of iron and steel industry until the 1980s).

First up we have the company's hometown of Bushbury. Passing in the top right of the shot is an express food train from Harts Hill farm to Palmers Port. The Port provides fuel which the company trips to Palmers Cross and Bushbury using Grub tram engines. Leaving the station is an all stations service to the south western city of Oxley, whilst a loaded coal train arrives into the Bank Top complex from Haden Hill for the coke furnaces.
bushbury.PNG
bushbury.PNG (391.53 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
A shot of the Palmers Cross area now - on top of the petrol trips, express tanks take the long journey to Oxley station yard. This train pauses at the exit of the port whilst a local train reverses in the headshunt before beginning a journey to Dudley - note the petrol siding in the station.
palmerscross.PNG
palmerscross.PNG (503.09 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Heading south west we find ourselves overseeing the coal operations at Haden Hill Colliery where a train is being loaded. On the main line a Greets Ironstone train takes Iron Ore to Oxley Furnace, whilst an 0-10-0 Girt Licker travels to the Bank Top Foundry with 5 huge torpedo wagons full of pig iron.
torpedoes.PNG
torpedoes.PNG (210.05 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Oxley has already been established as a large potential base for passengers and freight. In this shot we see a pair of mineral trains travelling to/from the Furnace. Note Oxley High Shed and the station yard, as well as the lines serving the furnace.
oxley.PNG
oxley.PNG (439.15 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Finally, we see another Grub, crawling the short trip from the Furnace to the nearby slag plant. Already limited to 35mph, the very heavy slag keeps speeds on this branch down to 15mph max. A newly established flow will deliver cement to Palmers Port.
oxley-toby.PNG
oxley-toby.PNG (99.92 KiB) Viewed 4501 times

Flickr

lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

Hi, great screenshots!
Could you tell me which railway stations you use in oxley.png?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
lostpawn wrote: 11 May 2020 06:42 Could you tell me which railway stations you use in oxley.png?
These are CHIPS stations. You can get it from the ingame content store.

Tschö, Auge
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think lostpawn was referring to the town image, rather than the slag plant one. In that case, they're the British Stations Pre-Release and Early UK Buildings, with a smattering of BMSS in there too.

All on Bananas but the first two were as-is releases, whilst I'm not sure James and Gavin are maintaining the latter.

Cheers

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

Mythical double post.

Things around Oxley are getting congested... The plan to run trains into the station junction then out to the furnace simply isn't working now. I also want to expand to producing steel - this is after all Steeltown. Both an Electric Arc Furnace and Oxygen Furnace are nearby. To do this I'm going to establish the Oxley Ring - a collection of freight branches formed into a continuous loop, which will remove the pressure off the station. In addition, a new avoiding line will head north east around the town, rejoining the mainline near Haden Hill colliery. I'm also going to add a north to east chord to complete the triangle around Oxley High shed, which will allow trains to take either route to reach the mainline and the towns to the north east.

An extra benefit will be opening up the south corridor, to reach a number of lucrative industries around Catshill and thence on east to the large towns that way. Serious rethink will be needed around Oxley passenger services but I fancy a two station set up will be necessary.
oxley-plan.PNG
(510.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

Okay. Three posts. But they're all worth it...

Et voila... Oxley's iron collar is complete. It's got a bit to grow before it strains at it, though... It's the Summer of 1927...

It's zoomed out so you won't be able to see the detail, but I largely completed what I said earlier. A "ring" is in place by virtue of the eastern avoiding line, but the spur and tunnel connecting Oxley station to the southern industries are mere slivers of history. The up line is now under a residential tree-lined street, and the down line tunnel portals are buried under buildings. The aforementioned eastern avoiding line now provides a way from Haden Bridge Junction round to the furnaces and plants of South Oxley. In addition, the promised second passenger terminal has been created at Westcross, diving under the southern freight branch and sweeping round south of the furnace, before converging with the freight lines to form the Southern Main Line. The BSWR part-funded a new town at Highfields, whilst a new village has formed at Castlecroft. Both of these are served by trains on the way to the temporary terminus at Catshill. There are significant opportunities to the east, but that's another story...
oxley-new.png
(5.75 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Meanwhile, the BSWR extended south east from Bushbury to the Southern Main Line at the Eveport Loco Shed - an unusually secluded shed which is accessed via staff train.
eveport-shed.PNG
eveport-shed.PNG (201.81 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Such an extension necessitated the enclosing of Palmers Cross - a rather hostile town council insisted such an endeavour required a second station. The BSWR board weren't expecting such a reaction, but spotted the opportunity to "futureproof" by keeping clear a potential northern extension from the newly named Palmers Cross North. The previously mentioned fuel siding here fell out of use in 1921 when a number of cheaper petrol stations were established in East Bushbury. Deliveries struggled on sporadically for a brief period, before the goods agent at Palmers Cross pulled the plug. [EDIT: This had been the case for much of the 20s, but it turns out when writing this description, two garages had appeared near the station! So the conditional orders of the Grub's train mean it's in use again!]
palmerscross-1927.PNG
palmerscross-1927.PNG (454.07 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Flickr

Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Dave wrote: 11 May 2020 09:20 I think lostpawn was referring to the town image, rather than the slag plant one.
That sounds reasonable. I overlooked the linked image in the text.
Dave wrote: 11 May 2020 09:20 In that case, they're the British Stations Pre-Release and Early UK Buildings, with a smattering of BMSS in there too.

All on Bananas
Hmm, I found the British Stations (0.0.4) but none of the other mentioned sets. Additionally the stations provides only platform tiles but no entrance buildings like seen in the screenshot. Can you please point me/us to the correct set names. Thank you in advance.

Tschö, Auge
Dave

Post by Dave »

Auge wrote: 12 May 2020 14:17 Hmm, I found the British Stations (0.0.4) but none of the other mentioned sets. Additionally the stations provides only platform tiles but no entrance buildings like seen in the screenshot. Can you please point me/us to the correct set names. Thank you in advance.

Tschö, Auge
Thanks for calling this out - two different answers:

1) Apologies - the buildings are actually in a GRF called "Alexandra Palace" on Bananas.

2) BMSS doesn't appear to be on Bananas in any format. I assume I got it as a pre-release from Gavin or James. jvassie is still a moderator here so might be worth seeing if he still has a copy - if he doesn't but he's happy for me to send you a copy, I surely will.

Cheers!

Flickr

Return to “Screenshots”