superdrive1's UK Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

superdrive1's UK Screenshots

Post by superdrive1 »

Yep, someone else with a UK based network :)

So for the last year, I've been having some fun with the 'South England and Wales' scenario map, building a real-world inspired network onto it.

At the current time, the network consists of 483 stations served by 888 trains, following a vaguely similar pattern of operation compared to the real-life counterpart, so no one-seat ride from Southend to Tiverton just yet... :lol:

As you'll probably notice, the network has been designed around functionality and practicality more than being a thing of beauty. That said, some eye candy has started to appear as work on the rail network itself begins to slow up, though it certainly won't be on the levels of the incredible visual creations that I've seen on here!

Starting in the middle of London, we find ourselves at Kings Cross, where express trains from Knebworth and Luton, local stopping trains from Knebworth and Watton-on-Stone, High Speed services from Ashford International, the Metropolitan line between Liverpool St and Amersham, and Thameslink services between Luton and Rochester all converge. Local buses also operate to fellow London terminals at Euston and Marylebone, allowing greater connectivity into the network.

Within the station area, the Metropolitan line is seen in the midst of a quiet moment with no A Stocks in sight. However we can see a Thameslink Class 700 forming a all-stations service from Rochester to Bedford, as it prepares to enter a system of tunnels to take it to Cricklewood and onto the Midland Main Line. Of note is the unused rail connection at Bloomsbury Waypoint, which connects the Thameslink system to Moorgate, which is not used due to the platforms at Moorgate being unable to take the 12 car units used throughout Thameslink. The station however continues to be served by the Metropolitan line at all times.

Up at the 'main' platforms, a East Midlands Trains Class 222 is seen departing for Luton, whilst a Virgin Trains East Coast Class 225 set loads passengers for another non-stop run to Knebworth. A Great Northern Class 700 also occupies a platform as it prepares for a stopper service to Watton-on-Stone.

Lastly, down to the High Speed platforms where a Class 395 unit working for Southeastern is seen preparing for its departure on a service to Ashford International via Stratford, Laindon, Northfleet and Snodland. Since its inception, this service has become a huge success, regularly carrying 100% passenger loading across its length and offsetting the huge cost and construction effort taken to build it!

More to follow from around the network :)
National Transport, 23rd Sep 2591.png
(693.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Re: superdrive1's UK Screenshots

Post by superdrive1 »

Whilst many of the stations within the London travel zone are busy (in both passenger and train terms), none come close to the operations at Clapham Junction.

Serving as a major hub for the operators of Southern (on the high level platforms), South Western Railway and London Overground (both on the lower level), 227 individual trains pass through Clapham Junction on their diagrams (and all stop), operating to a huge and varied set of destinations both within and well outside of London.

With the Overground platforms (those linked by the scissors crossover) on a fairly quiet moment, and the Southern Class 377 units both bound for London Victoria, all the action is seen on the SWR side of the station, where Class 444 and 450 units are seen bound for their only London terminal at Waterloo, as well as westward destinations via Surbiton, Whitton, the Kingston Loop and the Hounslow Loop.

Attachments
All lines lead to Clapham...
All lines lead to Clapham...
National Transport, 20th Jul 2599#3.png (163.47 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Very nice screenshots. I think my only criticism is you have very regular signals where you probably dont need to.

For efficiency the blocks should be the length of your longest train, on mine they are more sparse even than that to appear more "realistic".

Also BRTrains <3
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

Leanden wrote:Very nice screenshots. I think my only criticism is you have very regular signals where you probably dont need to.

For efficiency the blocks should be the length of your longest train, on mine they are more sparse even than that to appear more "realistic".

Also BRTrains <3
Ah yes, my signalling on busy lines always has been a bit wild! I shall try your methodology this evening :) the BRTrains set also finding excellent use for itself!

Whilst the National Transport signalling crew get to work on the new signalling system, the airborne crew are in action above suburban Essex monitoring action on High Speed 1, keeping a keen eye on the line and its 226km/h occupants in the form of the Class 395 units. In their line of view, we can see a double formation of 'Javelin' units operated by Southeastern cutting through suburbia on its way towards London St Pancras via Laindon and Stratford.
Attachments
High Speed spotting
High Speed spotting
National Transport, 6th Dec 2602.png (141.59 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Innotice you are using Uk Roadset as well, ive recently released a version of total bridge renewal set that is compatible with uk roads, might interest you to try it out :)
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

Leanden wrote:Innotice you are using Uk Roadset as well, ive recently released a version of total bridge renewal set that is compatible with uk roads, might interest you to try it out :)
And a very nice addition to the map the bridges are too, thanks :)

With the evening peak preparing to ramp up, the Grosvenor Bridge lines on the approaches to London Victoria gear up for another onslaught of units from Southern and Southeastern services. The West London Line branch of the London Overground can also be seen, with a Class 378 unit heading for Clapham Junction.

Attachments
Bridging the Thames...
Bridging the Thames...
National Transport, 14th Jan 2603#1.png (504.29 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

Some more from south of the Thames :)

One of the more impressive feats of engineering on the network is that to the north-west of the village of Shoreham, with the aptly named Shoreham Viaduct carrying the Shoreham - Orpington direct lines 200 meters above the Crayford/Slade Green line and the Swanley/Shoreham connecting line.

Local Class 465 units are seen passing each other en-route between London Victoria and Sevenoaks via Sydenham, whilst a pair of Class 375 units are seen working between London Bridge and Hastings via Tonbridge.

Also worth a note are the 4-track level crossings on either side of the viaduct, these are being gradually replaced by bridges and/or tunnels across the network in a bid to improve safety.
Attachments
Bridge the gap...
Bridge the gap...
National Transport, 19th Jun 2625.png (115.37 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

That looks great!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, absolutely love particularly that last one!
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

Gwyd wrote:That looks great!
Pyoro wrote:Yes, absolutely love particularly that last one!
Thanks :) Starting to move away from the 3rd rail grounds...

Sitting on the main Great Western route from London to the West Country and Wales, as well as being the terminus and major access point of multiple local lines, Reading is a reasonably busy hub station on the network, with 143 trains booked to pass into any of the 9 available platforms.

In more recent times, the station has been altered and slightly modernized to cater for demand. The GWML has also been fully electrified, with Class 387s displaced from Thameslink duties by Class 700s now in charge of local trains between London and Oxford, as well as between Reading and Bedwyn. Despite the wires appearing, the overwhelming bulk of GWR services remain in the hands of Class 180 units and HST sets, with Class 150s maintaining their strangle on the Basingstoke service, although the replacement of the latter is pending with new order 387s.

Among those trains within the station area, a double set of Class 180 units depart from Reading on a Cardiff Central - London Paddington via Stonehouse duty, with the HST set destined for Taunton via Swindon, Bath Spa, Bristol TM and Weston-super-Mare. Fast services via Newbury, Westbury, Castle Cary and Taunton to Tiverton Parkway also terminate and start back from Reading, due to lack of capacity on the fast lines for London.

Class 387 units are also present on the local lines, working in opposite directions on services to London Paddington and Fairford via Oxford, with the latter point on the original East Gloucestershire Railway recently reopened to traffic, along with intermediate stops at Eynsham, Witney and Carterton.

Class 450 units working for South Western Railway can also be seen at Reading, being the terminus of the commuter route via Ascot and Staines into London Waterloo. The route can also be used for travel to Wokingham, where connections can be made to the GWR service to Redhill via Guildford. Difficulties with capacity due to the need to enhance the SWR service resulted in the slight curtailment of the service.

Must get that crossing to nowhere by waypoint 6 dealt with now I look at it... :roll: :lol:

Attachments
Reading
Reading
National Transport, 29th Oct 2648.png (154.45 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

Just when you thought it was safe... :lol:

Whilst many of the suburban virtual London lines carry an absolute sea of passengers, the line running to Hayes and the area surrounding still maintains a peaceful feel in comparison to the busy network surrounding it. A double set of Class 465 units wait to depart from Hayes heading for London Bridge via Hither Green and Greenwich.

The line seen rising on a gradient also provides Hayes with a link via Sydenham to London Victoria, which can alternatively act as a secondary route to London Bridge as required.

Attachments
End of the line
End of the line
National Transport, 15th Dec 2794#2.png (218.58 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Why don't you put buffers instead of ending your lines like this ?
Very nice screens though.
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

acs121 wrote:Why don't you put buffers instead of ending your lines like this ?
Very nice screens though.
Just how I originally laid it out, and haven't felt compelled to alter it! Will probably revisited in time :)

Another bit of in-game movement, as a pair of GWR IEP units make a high-speed approach to Goring & Streatley working a London - Cardiff via Bristol Parkway service. The continued meandering of the River Thames can also be seen in shot.

Attachments
Non-stop
Non-stop
National Transport, 18th Dec 2794#1.png (195.78 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Bus stops, but no RVs. Contradiction ? :D
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

acs121 wrote:Bus stops, but no RVs. Contradiction ? :D
All rail stations provided with bus stops either for potential feeder services (which aren't always launched or required) or to run replacement buses from if any rail lines encounters delays, suspensions or engineering work (all 3 fairly common on my network!)

Heathrow Airport probably my busiest point of buses currently, but I have more planes as decoration outside the terminals than I do actually in the air... :roll: :lol: must rectify that once the rail network is completed!

Attachments
Bus central...
Bus central...
National Transport, 10th Apr 2797#1.png (152.2 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

superdrive1 wrote:
acs121 wrote:Bus stops, but no RVs. Contradiction ? :D
All rail stations provided with bus stops either for potential feeder services (which aren't always launched or required) or to run replacement buses from if any rail lines encounters delays, suspensions or engineering work (all 3 fairly common on my network!)

Heathrow Airport probably my busiest point of buses currently, but I have more planes as decoration outside the terminals than I do actually in the air... :roll: :lol: must rectify that once the rail network is completed!

For feeders, you'd better set passenger distribution to symmetric.
superdrive1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by superdrive1 »

It's the weekend (woo!), and busy times on the Marlow branch line (locally known as the Nodding Donkey...) as daytrippers seek out retail therapy and good views of the quieter end of the River Thames.

2 sets of 12 car GWR Class 387s are seen at the through terminus of Bourne End, with the drivers required to change ends to continue their trips along the otherwise single-line branch to Maidenhead and Marlow. Local buses also link at Bourne End and provide connections to the Chiltern line at Beaconsfield and to the Great Western line at Burnham, providing many points of access to both residents and tourists alike.

Attachments
Bourne Again...
Bourne Again...
National Transport, 4th Aug 2799.png (200.27 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

Return to “Screenshots”