SimYouLater's Old Screenshots Thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

SimYouLater's Old Screenshots Thread

Post by SimYouLater »

Sorry for cancelling this!

Unfortunately, I've discovered that my AI settings were incorrect. The first AI I had lined up, which wouldn't appear until 1701 in-game, required Road Vehicles to be enabled for computer players... before the game started. This means I now have a dead-weight AI I can't get rid of and must start from scratch. :x

I will post a link here to my NEW screenshots thread for my new game, once I've sorted out the AI issues. Sorry for the trouble.

EVERYTHING BELOW NO LONGER APPLIES

I decided to keep a screenshot log of my new game, although I'm not going to say I'm very good at it.

For this I'm using JGR's Patch Pack and a large number of NewGRFs to attain the desired variety of graphics. There's also a fair number of unrealistic vehicles in the game in order to fill in the gaps in the early and late game. The map is randomly generated from a personal version of the Wozo Continent heightmap, upscaled and blurred in GIMP to make the heightmap bigger while maintaining smooth edges. Map size is 8192 x 8192, starting year is 1698. I plan to try and play until the vehicles stop coming out, which should be before 2100.
[+] Spoiler
The year is 1698. The island nation of Alpinea has a new Royal Charter Company dedicated to providing a transport network to the island, starting with the capital city of Pacifidlog Town which is located near the south shore of the island. This is easier said than done. While roads are not much of a problem, the choice of vehicles is literally non-existent. While the local engineers attempt to engineer a carriage to transport passengers and goods better, Alpinea National Transport has recruited a horse and rider to carry people around town one at a time.

Other developments include the King's new foot-powered "sports car", seen parked in the driveway of the Royal Estate at the North end of the city. This creation of an eccentric retired quarry worker named Ford Flintstone was built in the city of Bedrock and transported by removing the wheels and placing them inside the car's seat, then floating it along the coast to Pacifidlog Town over the course of several months at great expense. This has not been a popular decision to say the least, but monarchs are jerks like that.
[+] Spoiler
While one of the larger cities in Alpinea, Bedrock's only claim to fame is the workshop of Mr. Flintstone and the recently built docks which were used to bring in the resources to build the King's car. We might check back on it later.

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
After only a month in operation, the lineups for the horse rides have grown so long that ANT has been forced to hire a second horse to cover the route. However, with 118 passengers and counting at the stop on Leonardo Street, it might not be enough. ANT decides to wait another month to see if ridership starts to noticeably decline before hiring additional horses.

Pacifidlog Town also shows the first signs of growth from the increased services.
Attachments
Bedrock, 1698-01-15.png
(413.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-01-15.png
(362.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-02-01.png
(356.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 23 Feb 2017 22:59, edited 3 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: SimYouLater's Feeble Screenshots

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
By the 3rd of February, ANT has set up a message service for delivering notes across town. The service proves popular with local businesses, averaging 1 bag of written "mail" messages per day.

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
It's now March, and the mail demand has dropped off a fair amount, but is still profitable. Meanwhile the demand for passenger services shows no signs of stopping, so ANT has added another horse to the passenger services.

EDIT 2:
[+] Spoiler
Nearing the end of March, ANT's finances have yet to go into the black, forcing them to send a representative by boat to expand into Vaniville Town, some distance away from Pacifidlog Town. The first horse has been hired, however initial ridership is less than ideal. The new docks were built in short order to bring in resources for the new operation.
Attachments
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-02-03.png
(356.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-03-01.png
(361.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vaniville Town, 1698-03-24.png
(420.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 22 Feb 2017 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
April of 1698, and two brand new "Flintstonemobiles" have been constructed. These "taxis" are sent to relieve the high use route between Central Avenue and Leonardo Street in Pacifidlog Town. Hopefully it doesn't outstrip demand, as the income is greatly needed.
[+] Spoiler
In Vaniville Town, things have started to pick up and another horse has been added to the route.
Attachments
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-04-03.png
(340.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vaniville Town, 1698-04-04.png
(422.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
Late April, and (unfortunately) sure enough the two taxis were actually outstripping demand, and thus causing low fares. One was sold to a wealthy nobleman while the other remained in service. In addition, the horses have stopped picking up passengers on Tax Avenue, though they still drop passengers off.
Attachments
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-04-21.png
(345.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

This is looking very interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a game started this early before.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

At least camping is already invented ;)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
A third horse has been added to the service in Vaniville Town. Also of note, the city forced ANT to reconstruct the docks to face North-South instead of East-West So that construction of a small park could take place.
[+] Spoiler
Another horse has also been added to the same route as the taxi in Pacifidlog Town, but by this point so many of them are travelling the streets that you can't tell the difference anymore.
Pyoro wrote:At least camping is already invented ;)
The trailer or the poorly-disguised attempt to claim land for a future station? :P

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
June of 1698. A legal battle has led to ANT being forced to tear down the docks and pay for an expansion of the local park, lest they be kicked out of Vaniville town entirely. The number of vehicles in Vaniville Town and Pacifidlog Town has grown high enough that keeping track of each new addition would be redundant. ANT is looking into expansion into other cities.
Attachments
Vaniville Town, 1698-04-25.png
(423.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pacifidlog Town, 1698-04-26.png
(358.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vaniville Town, 1698-06-01.png
(422.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
Bad luck strikes ANT again. What was supposed to be a cheap but effective road between Vaniville Town and the nearby town of Sum Dim, for transporting construction supplies, became a fiscal nightmare when the fly-by-night construction company ran off with the money after "building" a dirt trail not even fit for the weight of the cargo it was meant to carry. The road was quickly upgraded to a basic road. Then Sum Dim decided to begin road repairs in the middle of town, forcing ANT to build streets to bypass the intersection in question.

(Note to self: NEVER use AuzObjects in place of real paths and trails! $3000 a TILE!)

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
Operations in Sum Dim have completely halted due to further road repairs. With no route between Mars Avenue and Main Street, the company has essentially just wasted millions on a project that can't even operate. :evil:

EDIT 2:
[+] Spoiler
The rain of misery keeps pouring. A ridiculous local bylaw in Sum Dim requires private trails to have fences, which must be inspected by the city at an exorbitant fee. Outraged, the management at ANT simply upgrade the trail to road outright and decide to cease all further construction in the vicinity of Dim Sum, including further additions to Vaniville Town, for the forseeable future.
Attachments
Construction, 1698-06-02.png
(458.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dim Sum, 1698-06-07.png
Dim Sum, 1698-06-07.png (32.68 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Construction, 1698-06-08.png
(468.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 22 Feb 2017 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
A new route has been set up in Locus Medan, in the first addition of a new attempt to expand rapidly and hopefully save the company. All resources were locally sourced, a requirement for all the new routes due to the expense of building docks or roads to move goods.

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
New horse for carrying passengers in the strangely-named city of Crinkley Bottom.
[+] Spoiler
New taxi service in Lumiose City, which hopefully will not outstrip demand. (Don't count on it...)
Attachments
Locus Medan, 1698-06-12.png
(254.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crinkley Bottom, 1698-06-16.png
(459.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lumiose City, 1698-06-16.png
(279.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
The company is running on fumes. The last service they could afford to add was in the unimaginatively-named City 11, with a single horse and rider.
[+] Spoiler
Oh look. Sum Dim finished construction in that critical intersection. :x Time to resume service.
Attachments
City 11, 1698-06-20.png
(326.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sum Dim, 1698-06-21.png
(354.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
LabUser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LabUser »

You're doing yourself a disservice by calling them feeble. I quite enjoyed them, and I like the story element you're adding. Please do continue!
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

LabUser wrote:You're doing yourself a disservice by calling them feeble. I quite enjoyed them, and I like the story element you're adding. Please do continue!
Thank you. I will.
[+] Spoiler
It is now the 8th of October, 1700. City 11 is growing at a steady pace. A taxi was added at some point, but the number of passengers is too low. The horse and rider will be pulled aside for a bit, and if service is still too slow the taxi will be removed rather than the horse.

(I left the game running overnight. The day length patch has been set to its maximum, so only 2 years have gone by.)
[+] Spoiler
A new, larger "Flintstonemobile" taxi has been built to handle the enormous popularity of the service in Crinkley Bottom. Two new stops have also been added on the North and South ends of town. Some reconstruction has occured around the river, at the request and dime of ANT who were unable to use the old, poorly built bridge for safety reasons.
[+] Spoiler
Locus Medan, comparatively, has barely changed since two years ago.
Attachments
City 11, 1700-10-08.png
(366.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crinkley Bottom, 1700-10-08.png
(525.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Locus Medan, 1700-10-08.png
(307.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
While the cost of horses was cheap, it was inefficient trying to manage them all. In addition, the Flintstonemobile project has proven to be an abject failure, though some say it is just ahead of it's time. Whatever the truth, Mr. Flintstone's vehicles were prohibitively expensive compared to horses, for little gain in capacity. The vehicles have been scrapped in favour of a six passenger carriage pulled by one of the horses formerly ridden along the route, which is more worth the hefty price of 57,400 Coins.

A horse courier has also been added to the mail route, along with a new mail stop at Tax Avenue. Other developments include renovations to the ANT HQ, and the completion of the new Royal Palace.
[+] Spoiler
After discovering that the horse rider in Sum Dim had been keeping his mouth shut about a total lack of demand on his route to keep from losing his job, he was promptly fired (surprise, surprise) and all ANT property in the town sold off. ANT reports show that the two local stops hadn't had any passengers whatsoever in some time.
[+] Spoiler
Ridership in Vaniville town has held steady, so no changes whatsoever will be made to the route.
Attachments
Pacifidlog Town, 1700-10-09.png
(437.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sum Dim, 1700-10-09.png
(408.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vaniville Town, 1700-10-09.png
(468.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
Flooding and sewage problems in Crinkley Bottom have prompted further re-routing of the river. The horse has been permanently taken off the route, perhaps prematurely? (I accidentally "sold all vehicles" from the wrong depot. >_<)
[+] Spoiler
Lumiose City has begun construction on a waterfront park. In cooperation with the effort, ANT has modified its network to be more efficient and to flow with the design for the park.

Other developments are the addition of a late-model Flinstonemobile taxi, probably the last of its kind, and a two-horse carriage. This should stem the steady tide of passengers in the city.

EDIT:
[+] Spoiler
Sure enough the taxi was too much for City 11. The horse has returned to service while the Flintstonemobile has been sold to a private collector.
Attachments
Lumiose City, 1700-10-15.png
(333.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crinkley Bottom, 1700-10-15.png
(525.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
City 11, 1700-10-18.png
(367.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: SimYouLater's Screenshots

Post by SimYouLater »

[+] Spoiler
After two years, a transport service has been set up in Bedrock. Demand is good enough, but not worth more than a horse apiece for mail and passenger services.
Attachments
Bedrock, 1700-10-29.png
(428.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: SimYouLater's Old Screenshots Thread

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Is so emotive the end of the last Flintstonemobile :cry:
Finally, it's sold to a private collector.

I love, really really love, this story.

I can't wait to your new screenshots adventure.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!

Return to “Screenshots”