Aegir's Anachronisms

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Aegir's Anachronisms

Post by Aegir »

Twelve years later and I finally make a screenshot thread. What took me so long? I suppose this time around I'm playing OpenTTD with an actual plan in mind when I look at maps now (thanks CargoDist!) rather than the old way I went about things.

This game is another mish-mash of grf's that probably don't go together but here we are. Buildings are a bit more reserved and sticking with just JPSet buildings. Rolling stock is NARS+Addons. Trucks and lorries are HEQS and Road Hog. Av9.8 and Squid Ate FISH (and I thought PiGS was a great name for a .grf...). Station .grf's are JPSet, Michaels usual exemplary work, ISR, CHIPS, and absolutely none of mine. I'm still trying to figure out what I like and dislike about the current state of affairs and for me the best way to do that I find is to use other peoples work and decide what I think is 'missing'.

Anyhoo. Yokohama Logistics Concern is going to focus at least initially on passenger rail and hug coast lines, with light rail or busses handling the short jumps to towns neighboring the coastal routes. At some point I'll likely have to cut inland or across mountain ranges to satisfy route diversity for our now suddenly rather choosy clients. Before you used to just dump them wherever and they PAID you for it. Now things don't seem as simple.
I love the cyberpunk aesthetic of the original TTO Mars faces.
I love the cyberpunk aesthetic of the original TTO Mars faces.
yok1.PNG (167.25 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Beginings of the route. Red for trains. Blue for not-trains. Boats or fast-air-boats that-occasionally-explode may be used to bridge some gaps.
Beginings of the route. Red for trains. Blue for not-trains. Boats or fast-air-boats that-occasionally-explode may be used to bridge some gaps.
yok2.PNG (53.68 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Route, continued. I've scoped the locations out and I'm still note sure exactly which towns will get the train stations yet.
Route, continued. I've scoped the locations out and I'm still note sure exactly which towns will get the train stations yet.
yok3.PNG (65.43 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Aegir's Anachronisms

Post by Aegir »

In typical fashion I bite off more than I can chew with construction and start knocking down houses I can't afford to knock down. Fortunately, I've managed to carve out two rather centrally located stations at the towns of Arao and Tagajo before all the money ran out.
In typical fashion I bite off more than I can chew with construction and start knocking down houses I can't afford to knock down. Fortunately, I've managed to carve out two rather centrally located stations at the towns of Arao and Tagajo before all the money ran out.
yok4.PNG (154.44 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
A quick plan to churn out money was hatched over near Anjo, where the train station had already been constructed.
A quick plan to churn out money was hatched over near Anjo, where the train station had already been constructed.
yok5.PNG (150.8 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Apparently YLC however haven't exactly earnt the locals trust, now refusing to be hooked up to the new passenger network. YLC estimate significant philanthropic works will be required to secure the towns support again...
Apparently YLC however haven't exactly earnt the locals trust, now refusing to be hooked up to the new passenger network. YLC estimate significant philanthropic works will be required to secure the towns support again...
yok6.PNG (126.98 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Things are looking grim for YLC!
The last ditch plan to raise capital however is a failure. Mr Higgins was last seen fleeing Yokohama on foot into the woods with only a rucksack on his back.
The last ditch plan to raise capital however is a failure. Mr Higgins was last seen fleeing Yokohama on foot into the woods with only a rucksack on his back.
yok7.PNG (20.06 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
As in all things, where one person sees misfortune others see an opportunity to make a buck. It's not long before a competitor rolls into Anjo, YLC's famed achilles heel.
As in all things, where one person sees misfortune others see an opportunity to make a buck. It's not long before a competitor rolls into Anjo, YLC's famed achilles heel.
yok8.PNG (60.53 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
It's not long before Mr C.R. McAlpine was seen chasing after the scrappers with signboards, marking out the old YLC proposed passenger route in his name.
It's not long before Mr C.R. McAlpine was seen chasing after the scrappers with signboards, marking out the old YLC proposed passenger route in his name.
yok10.PNG (180.68 KiB) Viewed 3939 times

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Aegir wrote:This game is another mish-mash of grf's that probably don't go together but here we are. Buildings are a bit more reserved and sticking with just JPSet buildings. Rolling stock is NARS+Addons. Trucks and lorries are HEQS and Road Hog. Av9.8 and Squid Ate FISH (and I thought PiGS was a great name for a .grf...). Station .grf's are JPSet, Michaels usual exemplary work, ISR, CHIPS, and absolutely none of mine. I'm still trying to figure out what I like and dislike about the current state of affairs and for me the best way to do that I find is to use other peoples work and decide what I think is 'missing'.
More stuff over here. :D
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

wallyweb wrote:More stuff over here. :D
I know :P

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Inspired by Mr Bruco I decided to record a little animated .gif of one of the more picturesque areas. Kanazawa is a little mountaintop town close to Anjo where YLC met their grisly end and McAlpine & Co swoopt in. Kanazawa were quick to saturate McAlpine & Co's services in the region; the bus line never quite sufficing for their requirements. In the 1950's after McAlpine & Co had already spread through much of the original planned YLC route, an electric route from Anjo through Kanazawa and over the top of the mountain pass through to Miyazaki was built. It wasn't a terribly profitable line to run, but an engineering feat for McAlpine & Co climbing all the way to height level 33 before descending back down into the crater basin the town of Miyazaki sits within.
kanazawa.gif
kanazawa.gif (554.42 KiB) Viewed 3864 times

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That IS beautiful. Can't go wrong with loops, I always say.

Admittedly, I would've gone for slightly wider corners, but that's maybe just me (3 is my lower limit ^^).
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Pyoro wrote:That IS beautiful. Can't go wrong with loops, I always say.

Admittedly, I would've gone for slightly wider corners, but that's maybe just me (3 is my lower limit ^^).
Hah, those corners are as wide as they can be given the scale of the mountain they're ascending. It makes it's way all the way up to height level 33 before descending again into an isolated little mountain town.
yok11.PNG
yok11.PNG (175.36 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Uh, yeah, that is mountainous :shock: About 16 tiles height difference? With 3 tile corners you'd need ... well, depends. But a lot of room anyway that clearly isn't there :lol:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Pyoro wrote:Uh, yeah, that is mountainous :shock: About 16 tiles height difference? With 3 tile corners you'd need ... well, depends. But a lot of room anyway that clearly isn't there :lol:
Nah, that's height level one down by Anjo, here's the full climb:
yok12.PNG
yok12.PNG (157.04 KiB) Viewed 640 times
I've now moved onto another save which is typical of me whenever I get up to around 1950's/1960's. I'm playing with Iron Horse and OpenGFX+Trains loaded (just monorail/maglev but) this time around so I'll hopefully actually stick it out to the late nineties at least.
Wrinndown Castle.gif
Wrinndown Castle.gif (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3704 times

Dave

Post by Dave »

Once again, welcome back, sir. Gorgeous images.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Aegir wrote:Nah, that's height level one down by Anjo, here's the full climb:
yok12.PNG
It's a nice rollercoaster, but I think it could be improved with a corkscrew or two ...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Aegir wrote:... here's the full climb:
yok12.PNG
Now THAT's a mountain !

Why not go around the whole thing ? I suppose... 33 levels... Even with 4 tiles between steps, one will need... 160 tiles... No thank you.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

YNM wrote:
Aegir wrote:... here's the full climb:
yok12.PNG
Now THAT's a mountain !

Why not go around the whole thing ? I suppose... 33 levels... Even with 4 tiles between steps, one will need... 160 tiles... No thank you.
I was servicing an isolated town in a crater in the top of that mountain. Consider it more of a philanthropic effort (although the line did run a meagre profit). Most of my randomly generated maps (I use a build with the Rainwater patch installed to generate maps before swapping back to Cirdan's New Map Features branch to actually play.) tend to feature downright nasty terrain.

Return to “Screenshots”