[OTTD] leifbk's screenshots (mostly ships and RVs)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [OTTD] leifbk's screenshots

Post by leifbk »

1876_papermill.png
1876_papermill.png (746.73 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
A paper mill has been constructed at Gråfjord (recently renamed from Grånes). For now, it is served by a sizeable forest close to Presthaug in the far north, yielding 300 tons of wood each month. Clay is currently brought by 4 Whitgifts from a nearby pit. The tram line is skirting a big and ugly mountain, and I had to move a lot of stone around. But that's what we do in Norway :)

The paper mill is located quite close to the Fredjord fruit plantation, and in the future the line will be connected to the main network, opening for a lot of commerce in the north. I'm only waiting for bigger and faster trams.
1880_glasswork.png
1880_glasswork.png (702.39 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
The Torstjern fish industry is now shipping its products in cardboard boxes from the Gråfjord paper mill. Subsequently, the glass work has changed its production from fish jars to bottles, which are now taken to the Hareset brewery by trams. The harbour is now only visited by a few sand ships. The ship depot no longer served any purpose, and has been removed.

The refinery and the textile mill have both closed down, but in their stead a sawmill and a steel mill has appeared. I detest the way industries clutter up around existing stations. It would be far better if they kept a minimum of 50 tiles away.
1880_brewery.png
1880_brewery.png (465.27 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
And finally, I've started shipping the Hareset brew. The output is close to half a million liters per month, to be shipped to the little town of Bleikbråten who happens to have a general store. I may turn on town growth soon, lest the Bleikbråten population dies off from cirrhosis.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1888_traffic.png
1888_traffic.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
The tram network in 1888, from the Rugstad quarry in the south to the Presthaug forest in the north. The Fredjord "fruit line" has been extended and connected to the northern branch, but there is no traffic on the extension yet. Note the central parts of the network around Myrtdokka, where the trams almost form an unbroken yellow line. Adding more traffic here is most likely to be counter-productive.

By the way, this is my first attempt at such a large and relatively complex tram network. I've been playing a lot with road vehicles, but then the routes are mostly scattered all over the place. The Myrtdokka tangle is quite the challenge.

Sometime in the future a bridge will be constructed between the two promontories north-east of Myrtdokka, spanning 12 tiles. But they didn't build bridges like that in the 1880s. It will have to wait until well into the 20th century.
1893_fishing.png
1893_fishing.png (347.82 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
The last of the tall ships is approaching her final destination, never to be seen again. I always get a feeling of loss at this stage in the game. It's the end of an era. I come from an old family of sailors, and I know that the conditions aboard were deplorable. But there is a grace to these ships that their modern counterparts can't begin to emulate.

Electric lighting has started to appear on the quays. Some of the MariCo buildings have become available, but not the ones that I want.

And then some numbskull algorithm has decided to dump a metal foundry right next to the fishing industry, with the possible intention of providing the latter with tin cans from a convenient distance. The mind boggles at such idiocy. I've got my magic bulldozer ready, but prefer to let unwanted industries die from natural causes, unless they mess up my routes.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1897_oilfields.png
1897_oilfields.png (463.22 KiB) Viewed 5475 times
In order to enhance the production at the Gråfjord paper mill, an oil industry has been established in the Flisholt-Kålvåg area. The Kålvåg refinery, financed by the transport company, is supplied with oil from two wells at Flisholt, and another one further to the north towards Bjelkebru. 12 Drumbrecks take the chemicals to the paper mill.
1900_papermill.png
1900_papermill.png (623.41 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
The Gråfjord paper mill plant has undergone a major upgrade. A goods terminal has been added for the paper, destinated for the Bjørnbru hardware store. In 1900, some MariCo quay extensions have been added to the scene.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1953_map.png
1953_map.png (21.26 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
Last night I forgot to pause the game, and when I woke up this morning, like a Rip Van Winkle, forty years had passed. I have been busy replacing trams and ships. This is my current land traffic network. With the latest generation of trams, the traffic has thinned considerably.
1953_papermill.png
1953_papermill.png (607.85 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
In the early 1900s another oil field was found close to Honsjø in the north, a few tiles from the Presthaug forest. With the addition of logs from a new forest in the hills south of Gråfjord, the production at the paper mill has grown, and the cardboard ships have been ugraded from Little Cumbraes to Altamiras. The Gråfjord forest is currently served by 7 Access Rigels, my first proper road vehicles in this game. I got by from 1801 to 1860 with nothing but sailing ships.
1953_fishing.png
1953_fishing.png (399.63 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
The Torstjern fishing harbour, with brand new ships and buildings.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

leifbk wrote: The last of the tall ships is approaching her final destination, never to be seen again. I always get a feeling of loss at this stage in the game. It's the end of an era.
I'm the same way. I love the sailing ships, especially the last 4 master (the Windless?). Unfortunately that one comes so late in age of sail that other more efficient options are already available.

I started playing with breakdowns off recently, since I realized the breakdowns weren't providing any positive game experience for me. Since then, I like to keep a couple sailing ships going. I have a game in the 1950s now, and there's still a schooner plying a short run between two cities. I think of it as a tourist launch :)
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

oftcrash wrote:
leifbk wrote: The last of the tall ships is approaching her final destination, never to be seen again. I always get a feeling of loss at this stage in the game. It's the end of an era.
I'm the same way. I love the sailing ships, especially the last 4 master (the Windless?). Unfortunately that one comes so late in age of sail that other more efficient options are already available.
The Windjammer (or "Fullrigger" as it was called here in Norway) comes in 1870, and the only other ship in Fish 2 that can replace it for freight cargo is the Little Cumbrae. With a capacity of only 140 tons, I find it too small for more than a couple of hundred cargo units per month. So I'm always deploying the Windjammer for high-volume routes until the Altamira shows up in 1890.
oftcrash wrote:I started playing with breakdowns off recently, since I realized the breakdowns weren't providing any positive game experience for me. Since then, I like to keep a couple sailing ships going. I have a game in the 1950s now, and there's still a schooner plying a short run between two cities. I think of it as a tourist launch :)
I'm always playing with reduced breakdowns, as it adds some random chance element to the game. Playing entirely without breakdowns is too boring. But you can always set the option "Vehicles never expire" and keep the old ships indefinitely. The schooner is a lovely little vessel, and it's adequate for eg. mail routes between small coastal towns.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I use FISH, FISH 2 (just realized recently you can have both), Sailing Ships, and NewShips, though to be honest I rarely use those from that last set.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I like to play as close to RL transport history as possible. The Windjammer had her heyday in the period ca. 1870-1900. I'll upgrade my fishing fleet from schooners to Fish Island trawlers when they come in 1860 (I think the schooner expires in 1890), but at least here in Norway, sailing ships were actually used for fishing into the 20th century. The Nordlandsbåt uses both sails and oars, and is a direct descendant of the ancient Viking longships.

For the same reason, I mostly stick to the eGRVTS2 road vehicles, rather than Road Hog. The trams are ok, running on smooth steel rails. But the Road Hog steam RVs dominating the scene in the period 1900-1940 are too unrealistic. You simply couldn't drive that fast on bumpy dirt roads with heavy steam engines.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1977_saltkroken.png
1977_saltkroken.png (497.79 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
The company's new installation at Saltkroken. The farm is going gung-ho from fertiliser delivered from the port. The grain is delivered to the Hareset brewery.
1977_hareset.png
1977_hareset.png (499.77 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
Hareset is a thriving town, thanks to the brewery and the regular deliveries of window panes. The harbour of Hareset hasn't seen a real ship for many years, but I'm keeping it for the good looks. I may even set up a passenger service by hovercrafts, there are a few largish towns around now.
1977_map.png
1977_map.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
A new traffic map. The network has been extended in all directions. A couple of long bridges have been added. Three fruit plantations, two grain farms, a forest, and a quarry has been integrated in the tram network since the '50s.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1979_ranglemyr.png
1979_ranglemyr.png (492.13 KiB) Viewed 5360 times
The booming city of Ranglemyr, recipient of the Torstjern food. Recently a grain harbour and a passenger terminal has been added. Ten Pegwell Super 4 hovercrafts are taking passengers between Ranglemyr and Hareset.
1981_hareset.png
1981_hareset.png (478.43 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
And once again, the Hareset harbour has been rebuilt. The old Hareset dock has been refitted for passengers. A new dock close to the brewery has been constructed for the grain ships coming from Saltkroken and Ranglemyr. It's a pity that the MariCo quay extension cranes are pointing the wrong way for this harbour. The ISR/DWE cranes are too unwieldy, and the solitary MariCo cranes can only be built on flat ground. Where do you find flat ground on a waterfront?
1989_lysbrokk.png
1989_lysbrokk.png (545.17 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
Another brewery has been established at Lysbrokk in the far west. Fruit is delivered from two nearby plantations, and grain comes from the Graslund farm quite a distance away towards the north. The Lysbrokk-Graslund road is a feat of modern engineering. Two wide sounds have been spanned with suspension bridges. The grain trucks alone won't be able to pay for the road, but it is passing several towns and industries which may be developed later. The brew is freighted in bulk by 12 Prime XTrucks to the newly opened Smørpytten grocer's shop, kindly financed by the transport company.
Last edited by leifbk on 06 Aug 2016 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

leifbk wrote: [...] It's a pity that the MariCo quay extension cranes are pointing the wrong way for this harbour. The ISR/DWE cranes are too unwieldy, and the solitary MariCo cranes can only be built on flat ground. Where do you find flat ground on a waterfront?
There will be more crane types in forthcoming versions of MariCo. ATM, cranes can only be built on "new quays" (slope), on "(new) quay extensions" (water), and on flat land. Limitation of views had mostly been included to keep the building menus small, and to reduce object IDs.

Anyway, there will be a new MariCo version 0.34 "very soon" with some more features and improvements:

- quays now also for steep slopes
- added curved track for port railway now also on concrete ground
- added wine storage
- added tanks for crude oil, chemicals and LNG
- added 3 tankers: crude oil tanker, chemical tanker, LNG carrier
- added oil unloading pier (jetty)
- added 4 harbour restaurants

Some previews on the German tt-forums: http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.ph ... 5#pid90025

regards
Michael
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

michael blunck wrote:There will be more crane types in forthcoming versions of MariCo. [...] Anyway, there will be a new MariCo version 0.34 "very soon" with some more features and improvements:
Michael, thank you very much! :D

I appreciate your beautiful objects, and I'm looking forwards to even more awesomeness in the future.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1989_vestland.png
1989_vestland.png (21.11 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
An overview of the western part of the map, dominated by the wide ocean and rather small island continents. The new Lysbrokk-Graslund road with its two long (but sadly invisible) bridges can be seen. The ocean is dotted with ships, among them 66 fishing ships covering 14 banks. They are all taking their loads to the Torstjern fishing harbour, now having a monthly output of well above 1,000 tons of food, taken by 12 Grindaviks to Ranglemyr.
Selection_052.png
Selection_052.png (503.51 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Thanks to the Hareset brew, Bleikbråten is a flourishing little town. I still doubt if everything is being consumed right here. The inhabitants may be involved in an extensive bartering network within the neighbourhood. (I paused the game just before the Nieuwpoort crashes into the dock. The big ships don't look very nice when they're unloading in this position, their bows firmly stuck in the dock.)
1990_torstjern.png
1990_torstjern.png (402.48 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
A forest near Piltinghatten has been contracted for the Gråfjord paper mill. The logs are taken to the newly constructed Torstjern harbour (close to the fishing industry) by trucks, and transferred to ships.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [OTTD] leifbk's screenshots (no trains, no planes)

Post by leifbk »

1990_papermill.png
1990_papermill.png (612.86 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
And the first log ship has arrived at the newly constructed recipient harbour at the Gråfjord paper mill. There are now three different docks at this site. The tram station is connected to the cardboard shipping dock, while the truck station is separate. I love the concept of separating different shipments from each other, a feature that I "discovered" late in my previous game, and the main reason why I abandoned it. This is a very pleasing way to construct a harbour with multiple inbound and outbound cargos.
1990_papermill_2.png
1990_papermill_2.png (649.45 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
The harbour in transparent view with station names, in case anyone is interested in how it's done. Note that the river coming from the east no longer has any outlet. That doesn't really matter, as one is supposed to believe that it's led through a tunnel beneath the harbour. I don't like to destroy "natural" rivers. That's why I rather surround them with fences and treat them like special objects.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Nice harbour and harbour trick there, I love it and am inspired by it. I prefer the rivers to be rerouted, which can be done in two ways. First one is to change the savefile from .sav to .scn so that you can add the real rivers by using scenario editors. Another one which can be done more easily is to just use those canals & locks.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1998_claypit.png
1998_claypit.png (638.59 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
The Graslund clay pit cluster. (And another foundry in which the company has no interest. There is still no metal industry involved in the company's business, although that may well change in the future.)
1998_stations.png
1998_stations.png (454.23 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
The Graslund grain station and the Graslund coal mine station. The main western road is filling up.
1998_quarries.png
1998_quarries.png (629.15 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
The Smørpytten quarries and sand loading stations.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1998_brickwork.png
1998_brickwork.png (519.86 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
And it all comes together at the Bekkbrokk brick work.
1998_honsvoll.png
1998_honsvoll.png (534.93 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
The company had a mediocre standing with the little Hønsvoll town, after almost two centuries of neglect, only serving the nearby glass work. The board then decided to fund a builder's yard at the site, as well as providing it with bricks.
1998_honsvoll_2.png
1998_honsvoll_2.png (488.97 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
The next ship is forced to unload sideways, because of a flock of seagulls. It definitely looks better :)
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

2016_hareset.png
(1.14 MiB) Not downloaded yet
A larger picture of Hareset in 2016. In (game year) 2015 I found the little leisure boats. I was very distressed when they suddenly disappeared, and thought that I had ruined the game. But in March, they started reappearing. They're just gone in the winter :D
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Quite nice. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

2027_refinery.png
2027_refinery.png (414.1 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
Lately, a lot of offshore oilfields have cropped up. This is the new refinery near Honsjø, kindly financed by the transport company. I've been employing the seagull trick again to force sideways docking. At present, only the "Little Eddie" tanker is used, but there should be space for the Hopetown as well. There's still no gasoline shipping from the site, but the chemicals are destinated for the place shown at the next shot.
2027_foundry.png
2027_foundry.png (416.72 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
The new foundry at an island south of Brandby. There's no shipping from the place yet, but a metal ship is currently unloading. Did I say metal?
2027_steelwork.png
2027_steelwork.png (425.21 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
Yes! A steel mill has been added to the network. It's currently supplied by trucks from a local coalmine to the west, by ships from a couple of iron ore mines north of Graslund, and by trams from a couple of scrap yards on the mainland. There are lots of supplies for it around, and it may eventually become a really huge business.

Return to “Screenshots”