[OTTD] leifbk's screenshots (mostly ships and RVs)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [OTTD] leifbk's screenshots (mostly ships and RVs)

Post by leifbk »

2183_textile.png
2183_textile.png (470.56 KiB) Viewed 11899 times
The new textile mill at Risholm. Like so many others, this started as a very local enterprise, with deliveries from a couple of nearby farms. Over a few years it has grown substantially and is now taking raw materials from a lot of places. Until this factory was connected to the network, there were no use of neither wool nor plant fibres, and the sheep farms and mixed farms were only used for their livestock.
2183_textile2.png
2183_textile2.png (479.69 KiB) Viewed 11899 times
A zoomed-out view of the textile mill and the two farms that started it all. When I had constructed the road, I discovered somewhat unexpectedly that it immediately became utilised by the Ravnehella-Løkkebru fruit route. I made a bypass tunnel to let them through unobstructed.
2183_presthatten.png
2183_presthatten.png (527.71 KiB) Viewed 11899 times
The new Presthatten plant fibre harbour. The farm is going Gung-ho from supplies delivered from the nearby port at Hamsfjord. I deliberately placed the supplies truck stop close to the centre of Presthatten, to get the town growing and generate goodwill for the company. I will eventually find a recipient for the livestock too.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

2201_status.png
2201_status.png (376 KiB) Viewed 11848 times
The company status after 500 years of business. I've never played this long on a map, and now I think that it's time to start over. The yearly net income is now in the same order of magnitude as the total company value after the first 100 years. Even if the years after 1860 have seen a massive increase in land transport, the ships are still responsible for around 70 % of the income.
2201_map.png
(142.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A map of the whole world. I've let the towns grow since the late 20th century, and parts of the map have become massive sprawls of urban development. I have tried to connect most of the towns, and set up most of them with some kind of service. There are two passenger routes; the hovercraft ferry between Sørheim and Glosland, and a tram line between Knarvang and Brunkedokka. There are 12 mail routes with 79 Stryer Express trucks serving 25 smallish towns. Everything else is industry cargo.
Gromstad Transport, 2201-01-25.sav
(555.98 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
And finally, a save file if anyone's interested.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1703_narvestad.png
1703_narvestad.png (417.91 KiB) Viewed 11810 times
A new beginning, where I have set up shop at a fishing harbour in a sheltered bay right in front of the cosy little Narvestad village. 17 brigs frequent 2 nearby fishing grounds. For now, the harbour has just the bare necessities until I manage to accumulate some money. There will be another dock to the left of the depot for the ships which will carry food away.
1716_narvestad.png
1716_narvestad.png (485.94 KiB) Viewed 11782 times
Some years later, I'm out of debt and my shack has recently got a fence around it. The future looks bright. I've got 75 brigs, of which 34 take food from Narvestad to Sponseter, a town almost due north of here. The Manhattan distance is 276 tiles and as such a bit of an overstretch for these slow ships to make a decent profit. However, as they travel in almost a straight diagonal, the actual distance is only 70% of the Manhattan distance. When margins are small, it will always pay off to select diagonal routes. It's not much of a profit, but it's sufficient to finance a further careful expansion.

I started buying ships for this route in 1712. When the merchantman comes around in 1751 or 1752, the lifetime is over for these brigs and they should be replaced anyway, so I'll get an optimum lifetime return out of them.
1716_sponseter.png
1716_sponseter.png (465.56 KiB) Viewed 11779 times
The Sponseter harbour, still looking like a slab of concrete. The "real" station can be seen to be a truck stop in the town center. Without it, the harbour would still accept food, but there's a fair chance that it would be considered as lying outside the town limits. Hence, it would generate no goodwill with the town council, and no basis for potential growth.

Later, I may finance a food store in this town in order to ensure the continued acceptance of food.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1729_textilemill.png
1729_textilemill.png (370.05 KiB) Viewed 11744 times
I found this textile mill with a mixed farm and a sheep farm within a comfortable distance.

I'm not entirely happy with the harbour design; it doesn't look very much like 18th century. (Neither do the town buildings and industries, but that's a different matter.) I imagine that it would have been made out of poles, rocks, planks, gravel and flagstones, with a couple of wooden cranes and lots of dock workers - and almost certainly a ropewalk. As nobody to my knowledge has made such objects (yet), I'll have to do with what's available. That said, I'm really impressed with GarryG's recent AuzObjects. (Note: I have replaced the first picture of the harbour from 1725 with a second one from 1729, where the inner row of wooden tiles have been replaced with Finnish gravel.)
1725_sheep.png
1725_sheep.png (631.39 KiB) Viewed 11765 times
The Terningsveen sheep farm. Until 1860, there's no way to transport 250 tons monthly over land, so I had to cut a waterway to get to it.
1725_terningsveen.png
1725_terningsveen.png (532.31 KiB) Viewed 11765 times
The entire waterway, which would have been quite a feat in 1725. Most of it follows a natural river. I placed the lock beside the river outlet because I want to restore the river when I can replace the ships with a tram line. There's an awkward bend in the canal between the lock and the bridge because I didn't want to upset the Terningsveenites too much by demolishing their bridge.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1729_langora.png
1729_langora.png (427.16 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
With a modest monthly output of 56 bales of plant fibre, the produce of this farm is well suited for horse transport. 60 2 horse carriages take the cargo to the Tømmervang textile mill over a distance of exactly 100 tiles. As I always play with reduced breakdowns, the distance between the carriages ensures that a breakdown won't force too many of those coming from behind to stall. Filling a horse transport line to the physical limit is very counter-productive, because one breakdown will cause almost the entire line to stall.
1729_textilemill2.png
1729_textilemill2.png (541.47 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
The fibre arrives at the textile mill. The round trip takes one year, so a mandatory depot stop at both ends is required.
1729_fibreharbour.png
1729_fibreharbour.png (428.27 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
The Værvåg fibre harbour. It isn't perfect, but in my opinion it's a lot better for the period than the concrete slab that I've been using so far.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1733_rekheim.png
1733_rekheim.png (448.87 KiB) Viewed 11704 times
A sea-side brewery is a nice asset in the horse and sail era. 108 4 horse carriages bring grain from a farm 154 tiles to the north-east, while 4 brigs deliver fruit from a very nearby orchard as the road is already filled to capacity by the grain transport. No alcohol is being shipped yet, so the Rekheimers have a merry time of celebration and quality-testing :D
1734_glasswork.png
1734_glasswork.png (579.12 KiB) Viewed 11698 times
With a brewery, you need a glass work. Both manufacturing supplies (bottles) and building materials (window panes) are cargoes with high payment rates and low decay, so it makes a lot of economical sense to keep a glass work running. I've done something that I never tried before: I saved the game, renamed it from .sav to .scn, opened it in the scenario editor, and dug out a small and narrow fjord instead of the river that ran here. I could have done an in-game excavation (and paid for it), but then the upstream river connection would have been lost.

The chemicals come from a nearby bulk terminal with a monthly yield of 72,000 litres. You don't need a whole lot of chemicals for a glasswork; it's the combination of sand and chemicals that makes a good output.

The bottom line says that after 33 years of running with the smallest and sluggiest vessels around, I've accumulated 31,019,472 NOK in cash. 1 GBP = 12 NOK, so it's the equivalent of £2,584,956. Of course 20th century transport has a lot better payoff, but it's decent enough. I need to scrape together more in order to upgrade a large part of the fleet to merchantmen in the 50s.
1734_quarry.png
1734_quarry.png (527.28 KiB) Viewed 11698 times
The Jøntangen quarry which is the first source of sand for the glass work. There will be others.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1740_rekheim.png
1740_rekheim.png (375.67 KiB) Viewed 11681 times
I've started to ship the Rekheim brew. In this game alcohol decays quickly in value and so isn't profitable to ship for a long distance, at least with the slow brigs. It's certainly not like the Norwegian Linje Aquavit, «named after the tradition of sending oak barrels of aquavit with ships from Norway to Australia and back again, thereby passing the equator ("linje") twice before being bottled. The constant movement, high humidity and fluctuating temperature cause the spirit to extract more flavour and contributes to accelerated maturation.» Hereabout, a bottle of Linje is mandatory to the traditional Christmas Eve dinner of pork rib and pickled cabbage. In ottd, it would be worthless before passing Cape Finisterre on the way out.

For now, I'm just shipping it across the fjord to Sponseter, 92 tiles Manhattan distance away. The Sponseterians built their own food store, so I didn't have to finance one. They're getting fat and dizzy over there.
1740_map.png
1740_map.png (36.91 KiB) Viewed 11676 times
The network in 1740. The recipient of the Tømmervang textiles, Stakskog, is outside the map to the south-west of Tømmervang.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1767_papermill.png
1767_papermill.png (492.24 KiB) Viewed 11624 times
The new Furumo paper mill. The first cardboard carrying merchantman has just arrived, while a brig is unloading its cargo of lumber. The carriages bring clay from a pit not far away. Behind the mill is the house of the proprietaire to the left, and the workers' cottages to the right. This was a pretty common setup in the 18th century around rural industries. If there's anything missing, it would be a small church and the pastor's abode.
1770_narvestad.png
1770_narvestad.png (593.15 KiB) Viewed 11596 times
The very busy fishng harbour of Narvestad, after some "retrofitting" with various objects. The fish industry now receives cardboard from the Furumo paper mill, and the output has gone way up. Towns are not allowed to grow, otherwise Narvestad would have been a large city by now. I'm planning to play with this map for a few hundred years more, and don't want urban sprawl to get in the way of my industry-centric game style.
1892_narvestad.png
1892_narvestad.png (535.89 KiB) Viewed 11559 times
122 years have gone by, and Narvestad has a modern and sheltered harbour, albeit a little cramped. I expect the textile mill to disappear eventually. And the hardware store wasn't placed there by me, in an extremely awkward spot outside the fish market hall. I'd rather let the road proceed in a straight line.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1831_papermill.png
1831_papermill.png (428.15 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
A flashback to the papermill in 1831. The log cabins are mostly gone, and the workers have built themselves some neat little houses and a church. Most of the scenery is from GarryG's AuzObjects, he's been working like a maniac lately. There was a bug with the sloping ground beneath the log cabins close to the ship depot, but it was fixed a few hours later as seen in the next picture.
1896_papermill.png
1896_papermill.png (553.9 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
The papermill in 1896. The harbour has been modernised to accomodate the new steamships. A tramline from the west brings chemicals and more clay.
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Nice pictures!
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

S-Transport wrote:Nice pictures!
1908_grain.png
1908_grain.png (425.95 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
The Framdal grain harbour, where I have recently replaced 17 Little Cumbraes with 8 Altamiras. The latter are slow on rivers & canals, but in this case the few canal tiles are negligible compared to the route to the Rekheim brewery, 218 Manhattan tiles away.
1908_rekheim.png
1908_rekheim.png (504.67 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
The Rekheim brewery in 1908, where the transition from the old horse & sail age to the new mechanised age is clearly showing. It's still a few years until the automobile will replace the horses, when the Bradley Hopper comes hop-hop-hopping along in 1915. I have resisted laying a tramline here; the horses do an adequate job of it. The fruit farm is currently served by 2 Whitgifts, but they will be replaced by road transport as soon as the situation permits.
1908_flaatehus.png
1908_flaatehus.png (535.03 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
The Rekheim brew now goes to Flåtehus, the inhabitants of which were rather dissatisfied with the company, as the chemicals transport from the bulk terminal right through the town to the glass work is a major nuisance and doesn't bring the town any good. Needless to say, they now find the company's services outstanding.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I like ports. A wonderful combination of different objects. Great :)) .
As usual, a great pleasure will to see your save game.
In this game you are planning to use the railway? What about planes and helicopters? Air transport you can also use for transportation of various goods.

And you will this time to participate in the theme "Christmas"?
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

STD wrote:I like ports. A wonderful combination of different objects. Great :)) .
As usual, a great pleasure will to see your save game.
In this game you are planning to use the railway?
1913_sheep.png
1913_sheep.png (644.48 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Oh, but I do have a railway route in this game already, however I don't think it's much of a showcase. It has been running since the 1830s with wool from the Terningsveen farm to the Tømmervang textile mill. I've been testing the UK railway set, and I started with the Planet, which was a minor disaster as it used ages to get from the depot to the station. But from 1855 with the "0-6-0 Long Boiler" it has provided a decent service. I'm currently running with 4 "0-6-0 Freight" locos, each hauling 16 10 tons XP vans.
1913_textile.png
1913_textile.png (546.44 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
It looks a bit silly with the big parking lot when there are still no cars around, but I got carried away while doing it :)
STD wrote:What about planes and helicopters? Air transport you can also use for transportation of various goods.
I don't think so - not yet, at least.
STD wrote:And you will this time to participate in the theme "Christmas"?
I'm not committed to it, but I'll see if something suitable shows up.

Here's a savefile:
Narvestad Transport, 1913-05-30.sav
(328.56 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1946_textile.png
1946_textile.png (587.71 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
I wasn't very happy with the looks of the textile compound. I have moved the railway station into the yard, where it looks a lot more integrated with the rest. The downside is that it takes up a lot of space, and I had to remove several warehouses. The upside being that I was able to reopen the road between Tømmervang and Hakavik through a culvert.
1963_steelwork.png
1963_steelwork.png (498.73 KiB) Viewed 11437 times
A new steel work.
1982_foundry.png
1982_foundry.png (388.83 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
The Vrangvoll foundry, recipient of the Hakavik steel.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

1985_farhei.png
1985_farhei.png (594.79 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
A busy harbour area. The Farhei harbour receives window panes from the Kaltjern Glass work. The forest harbour across the bay has been there for a very long time and is sending its output to the Furumo paper mill. A new oil transit harbour has recently been added to the compound, handling oil from three nearby oil wells. I could have plastered the entire bay area with station objects, but I like it this way. And nobody is actually using that old rickety wooden bridge. It was built by Farhei town ages ago. I'll probably replace it with one of those fancy tubular bridges someday.
1985_refinery.png
1985_refinery.png (518.13 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
The Jøntangen refinery. 11 (and counting) Hopetowns take the chemicals to the Vrangvoll foundry. No gasoline is being shipped yet. One of the Farhei Hopetowns has broken down just after having delivered its cargo.
1985_map.png
1985_map.png (35.27 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
A map of the western continent. It's rather large and scattered with lakes and fjords, so I have dug more canals than usual.
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

Hi Leifbk, I really love your detailing of the ports. I try to do that myself as well. In your screenshots I see this nice dock in the water with yellow cranes. From which grf set is this one? Couldn't find it in the usual suspects (marico, ISR sets etc.).
Regards and thanks for your help.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

lostpawn wrote:Hi Leifbk, I really love your detailing of the ports. I try to do that myself as well. In your screenshots I see this nice dock in the water with yellow cranes. From which grf set is this one? Couldn't find it in the usual suspects (marico, ISR sets etc.).
Regards and thanks for your help.
It's the ship depot from Industrial Stations Renewal.
Selection_052.png
Selection_052.png (31.16 KiB) Viewed 10546 times
Set the parameters like this.
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

Thanks Leif!
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Here are a few recent screenshots.
Selection_053.png
Selection_053.png (417.79 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
I've been playing around a bit with container terminals, but they all look alike and soon beccomes boring.
Selection_055.png
Selection_055.png (520.53 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
This fishing harbour was my first source of income in this game. Started in 1701, it's now 310 years old in game year 2011.
Selection_056.png
Selection_056.png (529.55 KiB) Viewed 10492 times
A brick work with an output of 1,800 tons per month. The Maspalomases handle it gracefully.
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

Hi Leif, wonderful detailing (as usual). I learn a lot from that.
How come your ships lie nicely alongside the docks and do not touch them with only their bow, as is usual in my games?

Return to “Screenshots”