Screenshot Of The Month Competition Jan 2016 - Mar 2020

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Screenshot Of The Month Competition - May 2018 - ENTRIES

Post by romazoon »

Here is my entry for this month 8)
Romazoon SOTM May 2018.png
(3.18 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Bestezwaag located in a Dutch world is definitly a busy city, it s home for my main station (and plenty other stations), which receive all kind of passengers train from local to Express Regional trains ( the TGV seen in the screen is ending in another station not visible here, it s also a competitor service provided by Oliy)

The Economy of the area was for long based on Steel and manufacturing industries and it s still a vital part for the region economy. The steel mill is just not as busy as it use to be when trains were weak, had small capacities, when trucks were not as efficient and they had no highways . Still plenty of freight trains to spot ;)
The region can nowadays also count on tourism and services and shopping, so it does make the mainline somewhat prety busy, and with mixed traffic, delays to passenger trains are limited by the 4 track main line.

Let the Battle Begin ! :]

Good luck to all the screenshotters :D
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Høresund Airport is the last stop for many express services before crossing the border on the Høresund Bridge. A large number of S-Tog services continue on domestically, with more inter-regio style push-pull sets making one further stop at Hørhaven P+R before crossing. The Airport station sees almost as much traffic as the main stations either side of the border after expansion; allowing services from both sides to continue through via the airport and terminate at central stations either side of the Høresund River.
horesund2017.png
(982.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
(To think this was only last year or so, there are so many newly released bits of eyecandy I'd love to add/I wish was out back then to improve this with. I wonder if anybody will get where the inspiration was from...)
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

One second. You know there are graphics for ARRS in Dutch Road Furniture, right ?
mr jj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mr jj »

The junction between the main line and a movimented freight railroad that go to the biggest siderurgic in region. Is here that pass the express passenger trains
that goes from Amarillo to Norfolk and Waterloo.
Attachments
Norfolk & Southern, 26 Out 2004.png
(2.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Replacing my entry again.

At the right of the picture, Carlyville Gare de l'Est, the hugest station of the region ! 238 trains are routed to this station, and it has 13 train platforms plus 2 S-Bahn platforms ! You can also see the center of Carlyville with it's town hall, and also the central bus and tramway station, which also has a train station for S-Bahns going to Pont-de-Marnelon. On top of the picture, you can see the Colbert Avenue station, and further left, you can see a lonely S-Tog going to Sarmegy.

The airport of Luçailles-les-Ormailles, on the bottom of the picture, is totally overcrowded because of it's size, and the addition of a big S-Bahn, regional and freight train station only made it a bigger problem.
Attachments
S.T.R.A.F, 9 Avr 1999.png
(12.35 MiB) Not downloaded yet
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

TT Screenshot Competition Rules
[...]
- Screenshots can be any size. Larger screenshots cannot be placed inline [...]
Maybe this should be changed. Nothing against screenshots larger than the inline format, in case it´s needed to properly visualize the competition theme. But what are 12 MiB screenshots for? Maybe some people think that larger screenshots get better chances? Hence the inflation in MiBs: 1 .. 3 .. 5 .. 12?

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I dont mind the size in MiBs. As long as they dont break forum-rules regarding size (and then if they are too big, you probably wont be able to upload it anyway)
However, I personally do mind very large images that are also max zoomed in.
For me, it ruins the screenshot and will most likely result in me not voting for that shot....
But... Thats just me ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Quast65 wrote:I dont mind the size in MiBs. As long as they dont break forum-rules regarding size (and then if they are too big, you probably wont be able to upload it anyway)
However, I personally do mind very large images that are also max zoomed in.
For me, it ruins the screenshot and will most likely result in me not voting for that shot....
But... Thats just me ;-)
I agree with you. For me, the screenshot should be a maximum size of 1920 x 1080. And the size of the screenshot file itself should not be too large (up to 3-4 megabytes for example.) Even larger sizes should not be allowed to send to participate in this topic. I generally think that it is stupid and not very true to show almost the entire map in one screenshot. This theme is designed to ensure that each participant showed a certain point in the screenshot, which to some extent corresponds to the current theme. Not very tactful to show a lot of things in the screenshot. I have that opinion :) . Maybe a lot of people will judge me for it.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

I would agree with what Quast said that the max zoom is not convenient to see the screenshot (navigating a huge screenie in max zoom in is a pain).

My screen use the default zoom screenshot but are most of the times large, and imho, it does give viewer option to see more detail without being lost when navigating the screenshot (in comparisaon to a large screenshot taken at max zoom).

The size of screenshot, i like large screenies , and while i also really like the small ones like Michael posted, i also feel that the small ones doesn t do justice to people playing with different scale.
At the time the game was mostly player in 256x256 maps, everything was compact and so a small screen could easily show a main line from one station to another (like Michael screen).But many players use the larger map nowadays, and so have more room to build stuff, and so everything got bigger too. for example, if i was to take a mainline or main station screenie at the small screen size i would show next to nothing interesting imho (especially with a theme main line & main stations, i expected rather large construction)

Anyway, all this to say that i could agree in limitin the size of screenshots for the competition as long as the limit would be not too low (something in the range of 4 to 5 mio)

Or if there is enough demand and offers, maybe make two separate competition, or two diffeent category within the competition (when enough screenshot).
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I have a lot on a very busy table so this will be the second month in a row that I will not have a screenshot. :P

With regard to image size, I avoid as much as possible creating anything that has to go to a link. If I can't get a message into 800x600 pixels there must be something wrong and I reconsider my approach and try something different. My goal is for the viewer to see the message (and yes, an image is a message) without that viewer having to click on links and drag on scroll bars and play with zoom levels. The challenge for me is to enable the viewer to get the picture in just one glance. Just remember that if I have to leave the page to see what you have to offer, you might not get my vote, especially when I would have to select three out of many.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well, it all depends on the theme.
Sometimes you can show off the theme in an 800x600, but in some cases a larger shot could be needed (for example this months theme).
That said, I still think zooming in is unnecessary/annoying and those shots probably wont get my vote, but I dont think there is a need to set a max limit of file-size...

All in all, a couple of people have voiced their preferences and its something that competitors can keep in mind ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Quast65 wrote:That said, I still think zooming in is unnecessary/annoying and those shots probably wont get my vote, but I dont think there is a need to set a max limit of file-size...
Agreed, but it wouldn't hurt to offer up 800x600 as a guideline. 8)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I have one option - if the moderator Jake wants, you can organize a vote on the size and resolution of the screenshot. It's the most honest thing. Otherwise, we will be discussing it here indefinitely :wink: .
wallyweb wrote:
Quast65 wrote:That said, I still think zooming in is unnecessary/annoying and those shots probably wont get my vote, but I dont think there is a need to set a max limit of file-size...
Agreed, but it wouldn't hurt to offer up 800x600 as a guideline. 8)
I also support this option 8) .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I agree the sizes have gotten ridiculous, there is no need to post a 12mb fully zoomed screenshot when a normal zoom shot can show the same contents. I want to keep the rules flexible to foster people's creativity, but please make an effort to keep the sizes reasonable (i.e. screenshots larger than fullscreen size must be at standard zoom level, not 2x or 4x. Zoomed in screenshots should stay allowed, but are meant to showcase small and detailed areas. If I were to impose a hard size limit, I'd go for 1920x1080 since that'll fit on a screen nicely; 800x600 just feels so tiny on today's modern screens.

I'll put up a poll after this voting round is done so we can get this sorted :)

acs121, for this round I've reduced your entry to 1.4mb with no loss of information.
acs121-jun18.png
(1.38 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Sorry I'm not setting up the voting yet, I've had a busy day so it will be up first thing tomorrow (in my timezone at least) :P
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Emperor Jake wrote:I agree the sizes have gotten ridiculous, there is no need to post a 12mb fully zoomed screenshot when a normal zoom shot can show the same contents. I want to keep the rules flexible to foster people's creativity, but please make an effort to keep the sizes reasonable (i.e. screenshots larger than fullscreen size must be at standard zoom level, not 2x or 4x. Zoomed in screenshots should stay allowed, but are meant to showcase small and detailed areas. If I were to impose a hard size limit, I'd go for 1920x1080 since that'll fit on a screen nicely; 800x600 just feels so tiny on today's modern screens.

I'll put up a poll after this voting round is done so we can get this sorted :)

acs121, for this round I've reduced your entry to 1.4mb with no loss of information.acs121-jun18.png

Sorry I'm not setting up the voting yet, I've had a busy day so it will be up first thing tomorrow (in my timezone at least) :P
Thanks a huge lot Jake. Was going to do it myself though.
I thought a bigger screenshot would be better, although i don't really know how to do exactly like romazoon did for his screenshot.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

acs121 wrote:i don't really know how to do exactly like romazoon did for his screenshot.
I m probably a bit over the limit for many people, so i m not a good example i imagine ;)

You have a few options for taking screenshot in game.

One of them is called screenshot at default zoom level, it means that even if you take the screenshot from a zoom out view you ll get the pixel resolution as if you were in the normal zoom view. So doing this from the max zoom out does give already fairly big screenshots.

I m not sure how much zoomed out i am when i do the screenshot, i d guess the first level of zoom out, then i use the default zoom screenshot.

Also, Emperor Jake, i would not mind if my screenshot do not appear in its full resolution, if that sounds more fair for the competition ( i realise many screenshots from older competition did show a lot, but avoided using the default zoom screenshot)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

17 entries :shock:

We're getting dangerously close to
If more than 20 screenshots are entered: the forums will break, the world will collapse and the competition organiser will be declared the winner in the post-apocalyptic world.
Since it's going to be so hard to choose, you'll get 4 votes this round :)

Anyway, here they are...

acs121
At the right of the picture, Carlyville Gare de l'Est, the hugest station of the region ! 238 trains are routed to this station, and it has 13 train platforms plus 2 S-Bahn platforms ! You can also see the center of Carlyville with it's town hall, and also the central bus and tramway station, which also has a train station for S-Bahns going to Pont-de-Marnelon. On top of the picture, you can see the Colbert Avenue station, and further left, you can see a lonely S-Tog going to Sarmegy.

The airport of Luçailles-les-Ormailles, on the bottom of the picture, is totally overcrowded because of it's size, and the addition of a big S-Bahn, regional and freight train station only made it a bigger problem.

Badger
Reading Victoria - A class 90+Mk3s arrives as a class 37 hauled tanker train awaits a path. Double-headed 37s haul a container train as a mail train departs north.
Various EMUs provide local commuter services.

Botond P
The Chennford-Brendingworth area is served by a double-track mainline with frequent stops due to the dense population. Beside the trains, there are several buses, trams and passenger ferries connecting the cities. The nearby town of funfingwell is the home of a large industrial harbor and intermodal junction.

Chataigne
The great Balthazr H. station in Marault city is one of the most important station of the Moradian country (fictive). Recently reshaped we can see two old building of the ancient station each side of the main entrance. The station is connected with the new tram line in front and with a lot of buses at is back.

Darthrafael
Isola Central Station is the Main Station of Muir & Co. From here, trains and busses travel to all nearby towns.
The more commonly-travelled roads have been paved with Asphalt, whereas the others are still made out of stone.

Emperor Jake
The main station in Senor Evada, Cindini, circa 1947. The mainline connecting Capitolia with the northern reaches of Cindini is bustling with local and long distance trains.

GarryG
Based on a suburb in Sydney called Strathfield in the mid 1960s. Steam was still being used on fright and some express passenger trains. Strathfield is a junction .. the line heading north goes to Newcastle, Brisbane, Moree and Tenterfield. The line heading west goes a few kilometres and has another junction where the line heads south to Melbourne and continues west to Broken Hill and Perth. The line to the east heads to Sydney.
Strathfield has 8 platforms numbered 1 far side to 8 closes. Platform 1 the Newcastle Flyer just departed heading to Sydney. Platform 3 is the Brisbane Limited Express. Over on Platform 7 is a Sydney bound suburban and just departed Platform 8 is a double decker suburban heading to Penrith. Going over the flyover is a U-Set (nick names U-Boat) heading to Gosford.

Also see 2 freight trains .. one is a livestock heading to the Abattoirs and the other a mixed freight with double header Garratt's heading to Broadmeadow.

LaRoso
The date is now 1963 and the main station developed with a depot area in the North East and an electrified line with the KFE (Kaiserhaven Flaughafen Express) to the airport in the North.

michael blunck
The station of Bad Kiel, from a game presented already here. As reported there, the SSEG´s network is organized around a double-track backbone, with all main stations fitted with 4 tracks. Although Bad Kiel is a quite medium city, its close vicinity to Falkenberg main station and a branch line to Wittenhorst to the north, produces a lot of traffic, with 15 long-distance trains calling at Kiel, and 8 more at Falkenberg.

mr jj
The junction between the main line and a movimented freight railroad that go to the biggest siderurgic in region. Is here that pass the express passenger trains
that goes from Amarillo to Norfolk and Waterloo.

Pilot
Löffingen's main station a major junction, where a pair of 4-track mainlines meet, and only two 2-track railways leave on the other end of the station. This causes major congestion at the station, and has led to a huge mess of trackwork. The pride of the network is the ICE fleet, however, here in Löffingen, they're no better to any other train, sharing tracks and platforms with lesser services. Improvement works are proposed, but when will these take place?

PinkMoon
And here is my entry : A super intersection !

Quast65
Certainly nice to show off my implimentation of GarryG's brilliant idea with overlapping platforms (enabling switches "inside" a station and thus creating the illusion of two trains loading/unloading along the same track/platform)
So, here is Roosendaal, The Netherlands:

romazoon
Bestezwaag located in a Dutch world is definitly a busy city, it s home for my main station (and plenty other stations), which receive all kind of passengers train from local to Express Regional trains ( the TGV seen in the screen is ending in another station not visible here, it s also a competitor service provided by Oliy)

The Economy of the area was for long based on Steel and manufacturing industries and it s still a vital part for the region economy. The steel mill is just not as busy as it use to be when trains were weak, had small capacities, when trucks were not as efficient and they had no highways . Still plenty of freight trains to spot ;)
The region can nowadays also count on tourism and services and shopping, so it does make the mainline somewhat prety busy, and with mixed traffic, delays to passenger trains are limited by the 4 track main line.

Tintinfan
Høresund Airport is the last stop for many express services before crossing the border on the Høresund Bridge. A large number of S-Tog services continue on domestically, with more inter-regio style push-pull sets making one further stop at Hørhaven P+R before crossing. The Airport station sees almost as much traffic as the main stations either side of the border after expansion; allowing services from both sides to continue through via the airport and terminate at central stations either side of the Høresund River.

Tony Pixel
New Haven Union Station.

Vetteman06
May Main Station entry
Busy day here at Fluffy Airport...

4 very competitive airlines have taken over Fluffy Airport.
UPS is doing the package delivery/mail for all of the cities.
Fedex has not yet entered this market. (We hope to hear from them soon)

Spice Airlines (Green)
Under-estimated capacity so terminals are mostly empty.
One plane just getting redy to take off on inner runway.
One landing on outer runway.

Korean Air (Blue)
Over-estimated capacity so terminals are full of waiting planes.
One airplane circling to land.

Sunflower Airlines (Yellow)
Balanced and providing excellent service.
One plane finshing landing on inner runway, one landing outer runway

Thai Air (Red)
Under-estimated capacity so terminals are mostly empty.
2 planes landing.

Never a dull moment here at Fluffy Airport!!
(Yes I have grandkids... Had to be named Fluffy Airport!!)
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I am in this very surprised by such a large number of screenshots. That's cool. I'm glad there are so many competitors :)) .
It was difficult to choose among all the screenshots. Here are my votes - Emperor Jake, GarryG, michael blunck and Quast65 :wink: .
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Screenshot Of The Month Competition - May 2018 - VOTING

Post by wallyweb »

Wow! 17 submissions! Four more and I wouldn't be eating any breakfast. :twisted:
Normally I don't like to discuss who I voted for, but these four made it easy for me.
Each featured one station and it's main line connections. There was very little else to distract my attention to the task at hand.
They were focused on their mission.
Alphabetically they were Badger, Chantaigne, Emperor Jake and Michael Blunck.
GarryG, LaRoso and Pilot made it a difficult choice and deserve an honorable mention.
Congratulations to all.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Screenshot Of The Month Competition - May 2018 - VOTING

Post by romazoon »

Impressive competition this month :shock:
choosing onlythree 4 wasn't easy ! now i m happy it was three 4 vote and not just one, that would have been really hard to choose :lol:

And since it seems allowed to do some publicity, here is mine:

ACS shows some interesting stuff

BotondP use lot of eyecandy object, me likes a lot.

Darthrafael has a nice main station and the tracks around it are neat *insert thumbs up emoticons*

Mr jj has lots of traffic on its mainline and the country side around it worth the view ! *insert like *

Pinkmoon has a unique playstyle, that s quite worthy even if it s not everone cup of tea

Romazoon screen is so cringy, it sucks, pass to the next one don t loose your time, too much things to look at :mrgreen:

Tintinfan, pff this one is a keeper, i mean look at the construction quality, everything neat, functional....but i m biased it s my buddy ! still look at his screen you won t regret it.

Tonypixel, this one is cool and it promess a lot for the future, i mean, i don t think many players at that age can do so great (i heard he is 14, that alone shoudl be an incentive to vote for him, he is the newblood everything need to keep on living ;) )

Vetteman, has also a unique screenshot in the competition, and out of 17 screenshot it s hard to differentiate from all the others ! so stay original VEtteman, i know i still check your screenies like anyother ,)

All the other participant, good luck, you are doing cool stuff (i mean great ofc), but i guess people already knew that after reading STD and Wallyweb

Return to “Screenshots”