[OTTD] PL-experimentalsssss.

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] PL-experimentalsssss.

Post by Wahazar »

Welcome to the PL-experimental server session screen shots show.
I'm checking some unusual settings in multiplayer mode, and I realized, that maybe it would be useful, if some sessions will be documented.

Because multiplayer games are rather hectic (I hope that daylenght patch will be at some future time implemented in official version),
these screens and gamestats are not as beautiful and perfect as those from signleplayer games.
Especially first sessions are not a reason for pride, because I was, after 20 years of TTD absence, complete novice.
On the other side, no cheats was used, and sometimes interesting player interactions were performed

At the beginning, some long-run sessions saved many months ago, when 1.3.3 version has no cargodist capability
One of first session begun in 1800, newgrfs are documented inside screenshot, map size was enormous long: 2048x256.
Such map produce challenging landscape, because mountains are not isotropic - they are elongated, therefore short routes
perpendicular to mountains are not easy to construct.
Longitudinal routes are easiest to build, but due to low density of cities and industry, they need to be long,
which is not easy to achieve due to financial reasons (more than 1000 GPB for cheapest nutrack piece + infrastructure maintenance costs)
Early houses newgrf and Balanced city growth gamescript prevent excessive city growth and remove possibility of easy passenger-based revenue.

First generated map looks like:

Unfortunately, I was forced to restart server due to inflation turned on, which makes game totally unplayable with 2cctrain set.

New map was similar to previous one.
Ships with little help of horse carriages gives constant growth of income, mainly from freight, but passengers were also transported to avoid empty turns:

After 60 years of gameplay first trains were introduced, but only as helpers to transport resources from mainland do the coast. These first trains were not profitable itself, but their losses were insignificant
part of maritime income:

After 200 year of game time,
map was partially covered with railway network, however ships were still a mainstay of my company:

Some cities grows, but tiny town centers were surrounded with large slumsy areas:

There was still some sail ships due to both economic and management reasons (migrating from sail ships to fish/squid is somewhat painfully).
Of course breakdowns were reduced, but active.

I had ambition to fly into XXI century, but instead, almost got bankrupt due to very high both airport maintenance and aircraft running costs.
Airport costs were high to prevent lazy players starting with airports only.
It failed because small "dirt" airports have still relative low maintenance costs, hence modern big one eat all revenues and more.
Today I have different system (only large airplanes starting from 196x) and cargodist offer benefits for those with existing large networks even if fixed costs are high, but it will be discussed later.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] PL-experimentalsssss.

Post by Wahazar »

Next game was held on larger and less rectangular 2048x512 map:

At the beginning I got bankrupt, because too much money was spend for channel construction, additionally long and not profitable routes were established.
On the second round, thanks to abandoned channel, I was able to set mail and passenger service between Batminster and Brinside Marsh.
Batminster, my HQ city, had also first passenger horse tram.
50 years later there are two large towns in this area, and third one growing thanks to the railway line link between Batminster and Liverdon.
Local railway was also serving farms and textile mills, but sail ships were still a transport backbone - however first steam powered ships appeared:

About hundred years later situation was similar, despite new railroad extension from Batminster to Brinside Marsh,
and freight line bought from insolvent oil company.
Still ships played first fiddle, and other company focused mostly on ships was much more effective:

Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Time to dust off this thread. I will try to publish screenshots from already played games.
Click on thumbnails will will display full screen image.

Currently I'm testing 1.5.3-RC1 version, together with ECS vectors (with my ECS industry extension) and City Controller 7 GS (with some my improvements).

2048x1024 map started in 1918 - it is rather large map with irregular terrain, as usual base costs are rather hard (32kGPB per tile forming, 556GPB for cheapest 80kmph normal gauge track), with passenger and mail rates decreased by 50%:

Because Game Script need many towns to develop, I've chosen cluster of towns in north-east corner.
First town was Katowice - small fishing village with narrow gauge line from docks to nearby tinning factory.
Another city was Murowana Mosty, located between mountains and sea:

Image Image

At the beginning, passenger and mail transport gives negative income, but fish and cannery helps to balance it.
After 25 years, Katowice size increased slightly, but still cannery played important role. Murowana tried to build up between sea and hills:
Image Image

Meanwhile I started to develop 4 other towns - Miechucino Wody, which started to develop well, but need food, Lubin Mniejszy which was stalled, Bierawa Slaska which surprisingly develop itself wery well and Gogolin at the remote corner of the map.
Image Image

Now it is time to bring them all and bind them.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

After establishing link between Bierawa and Murowana, towns begun to grow. But during construction Murowana bypass, several landslides occurs, which was very expensive for my company.
Meanwhile, first town reach 11k limit, but it was not my capital city, but Bierawa, placed conveniently in flat valley.
Image Image

After 30 years, there was 3 towns above 11k, but it was still not sufficient.
What is worse, railway links were very saturated, and there was no place to make Katowice bottleneck wider (large number of industries).
Image Image

Another player joined and started to deliver coal to nearby powerplant.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Once coal was enabled as town growth impact factor, towns start to grow quickly and soon goods started to count.
Unfortunately, I did not fulfilled even half of the game goal before 2050.
Initial growth to 11k took too long.

What is worse, my town was stuck - it display 'each 1 day growth', but still fluctuating near same size.
Attached save for 1.5.3-RC1:
Attachments
McZapkie Transport, 28th Mar 2048.sav
(2.76 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Currently I'm testing JGR patch pack with Infrastructure Sharing turned on and Daylength x4.
I modified JGRpp, increasing maximal loan setting to 5MGPB.

Why such huge debt?
Usually I'm playing with hard settings. In case of 4x DL, these settings should be increased.
Obviously yearly running costs and infrastructure costs should be 4x if year last 4x longer.
But also purchase costs should be increased, because given vehicle can make 4x more turns during its life.

With standard 500kGPB loan, it is almost unplayable, or at least boring scrimp, therefore I increased this settings.

But I do not consider it as a cheat, it is challenge to take care about interest rates - before purchase of vehicle or building line,
small business plan should be made to check, if overall returns will be positive.
Here is screenshot depicting, that 5MGPB loan is not a sandbox mode:

Return to “Screenshots”