Tarborough Trunk, founded 1870 (NARS/ECS/Large Heightmap)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Tarborough Trunk, founded 1870 (NARS/ECS/Large Heightmap

Post by Espee »

(1893-1896) TRACKWORK ON THE HEDINGBURY DIVISION, AND THE TARBOROUGH TRUNK GETS ORGANIZED
Telow Long Bridges - January 1895.png
Telow Long Bridges - January 1895.png (200.53 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
In conjunction with the opening of the Grinstone Mines Branch, upgrade work was in progress elsewhere on the Hedingbury Division. A second span over the Telow River, this one comprised of a stone viaduct, was completed in the first week of 1895, effectively double-tracking the main line from Hedingbury westward. Only the Tuntown River and a small viaduct to the east remained to be double tracked.
Trewell Junction - 1895a.png
Trewell Junction - 1895a.png (779.37 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
An additional double-track leg was added to the trackwork at Trewell Junction, where the passenger branch line to Trewell and Plonstock Heath branched off from the main line. This project would allow future passenger trains from Telow Central direct access to the newly renamed Trewell Subdivision. Starting in 1895, all divisions on the Tarborough Trunk were given a numeral identifier, and sections of line in each division were further divided into subdivisions with a name and alphanumeric designator for operations and maintenance purposes. This system was implemented at the order of Spike Driver, Superintendent of Maintenance, who needed to be able to identify each component of an increasingly complex rail network.
Tarborough Trunk - Train Roster - November 1896a.png
Tarborough Trunk - Train Roster - November 1896a.png (173.69 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
A similar concept was adopted by the Operating Department, where a few years previously the clairvoyant I.C. da Future had considered adopting a 4-digit code similar to that eventually employed by British Railways. Wanting something far more flexible and intuitive, the Operating Department instead implemented a routing code based on a six-digit identifier with the format XxYyZz.
  • Xx was a number designating the originating division (1 = Windchester Division, 2 = Second Division, 3 = Hedingbury Division).
  • Yy referred to the cargo type.
  • Zz was a unique 2 digit number for each route/service combination.
I.C. also put his clairvoyance to work on a station identifier system, which came to him in a dream where his great grandchildren a century in the future would play a game called Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon. He "borrowed" the 3 and 4 letter code methodology, thanks to the lack of software copyrights in the late 18th Century...
Last edited by Espee on 11 Nov 2013 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(1896-1897) New Ten-Wheelers for the Goods Line
Windchester Shops - December 1896a.png
Windchester Shops - December 1896a.png (463.04 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Track improvements continued on the Second Division as well. A new consolidated shop facility with ample storage capacity was constructed east of Windchester in the fall of 1896. The Windchester Shops would assume heavy maintenance tasks for rolling stock assigned to the Windchester and Second Divisions, and incorporate a facility capable of building freight cars for the railway's use. A third double-track leg was added to Windchester Junction to allow easy access to both directions of the passenger main line. In keeping with the new line identifier system, the Goods Line was now officially known as the Windchester Goods Branch, and assigned identifier code 2e by the track people.
Tarborough Trunk - 04GD08 - 1900x.png
Tarborough Trunk - 04GD08 - 1900x.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
The time had finally come to replace the worn-out 1 class 4-6-0s that had served the railway well. Keeping in mind the recommendations of Mr. Ball, President Tyrone Shoelaces and Superintendent Max Drawbar paid a visit to the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Eddystone, Pennsylvania to see what that builder could offer in terms of fast freight power to keep from plugging the passenger runs on the Windchester Division. Baldwin had just demonstrated an updated version of their Ten-Wheeler, capable of delivering 900 horses at the drawbar and achieving a max speed of 65 MPH. They quickly figured that a pair of these engines could start and move a 1200-ton goods train across the line without a problem, and placed an order for 4 locomotives for delivery in early 1897, numbered 300-303 on account of having 3 drive axles.

Another development of equal significance was the new 40-foot boxcar design with a steel underframe and the new Andrews truck (bogie) design capable of 80 MPH. These features also raised the load capacity from 32,000 to 44,000 lbs per car. The Windchester Shops were capable of constructing these cars in house, and proceeded to assemble enough "fast forties" for goods service. These up-to-date boxcars quickly replaced the swaybacked wooden cars in service up to that time.
OldOneSpot-1900.png
OldOneSpot-1900.png (119.39 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Locomotive Number 1 was pulled from service and placed in storage at Windchester Shops at the request of President Shoelaces, who planned on eventually displaying it in front of company headquarters. Number 5 joined it, but numbers 3 and 4 were not so lucky, earning the inglorious honor of being the first locos scrapped on the Tarborough Trunk. Number 2 toiled away for the time being, double-headed with a 2-8-0 in steel service.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(1898-1899) FINE-TUNING THE EXISTING NETWORK
Tarborough Trunk - 02CL02 - 1899.png
Tarborough Trunk - 02CL02 - 1899.png (101.37 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Success with the new 40-foot steel underframe boxcars led the Windchester Shops to their next project: steel framed bottom-dump hoppers for coal service. A batch of new coal hoppers, capable of carrying 22 tons per car, were produced for Windchester Mines-Plonstock Heath Steel service, to be hauled by another pair of coal-burning Consols that arrived on the property in 1898.
Tarborough Trunk - 03PM07 - 1899.png
Tarborough Trunk - 03PM07 - 1899.png (60.38 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Inauguration of steam tram service in Plonstock Heath resulted in rapid growth of passenger traffic on the Trewell Subdivision. Number 220, a coal-burning 4-4-0 capable of 80 MPH, arrived and was placed in service in 1899.
Hedingbury - March 1899A.png
Hedingbury - March 1899A.png (228.55 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Steam trams came to Hedingbury as well in 1899, with two tram lines providing feeder service to the Hedingbury passenger station.
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(1900) TT TURNS THIRTY AT THE TURN OF THE TWENTIETH
TarboroughTrunk-SystemMap-January1900b.png
TarboroughTrunk-SystemMap-January1900b.png (711.53 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
TarboroughTrunk-Financials-1900.png
TarboroughTrunk-Financials-1900.png (55.33 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Tarborough Trunk - Train Roster - January 1900a.png
Tarborough Trunk - Train Roster - January 1900a.png (95.57 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(1900-1903) GETTING GLASS FROM GRESSTABLE
GresstableDivision-November1900a.png
GresstableDivision-November1900a.png (633.05 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
With stable revenues and some funds in the bank, Tyrone Shoelaces, president of the Tarborough Trunk Railway, contemplated his next move, looking to the best opportunity for a quick return on the road's investment. He had no farther to look than right in his back yard. The Windchester Coal Mine was expanding by leaps and bounds, and now had estimated reserves of nearly 1 million tons. This extra coal would come in handy to be transported over the Tar River to the Gresstable Glass Factory that was recently completed. A nearby quarry would provide adequate sand for the glass factory as well. Best of all, the glass could be hauled on the same line back to the Windchester Factory. This was almost too easy!
TarboroughQuarry-May1900A.png
TarboroughQuarry-May1900A.png (457.15 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
Tarborough Quarry station was built for sand loading, and a double tracked line was completed across the river, with the entire line completed by the end of 1900.
TarboroughTrunk-GresstableDivision-TrainRoster-Nov1900.png
TarboroughTrunk-GresstableDivision-TrainRoster-Nov1900.png (31.75 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
The new trackage was designated as the Gresstable Division, with 3 rail services designated as follows:
  • 05CL09 (Windchester Mines -> Gresstable Woods) - coal
  • 05SD10 (Tarborough Quarry -> Gresstable Woods) - sand
  • 05GS11 (Gresstable Woods -> Windchester Mines) - glass
6 more of the 400 series Consolidateds were put into service on this division in 1900, with 2 more added the following year. The division turned a profit quickly, and everyone was happy...
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

(1901-1904) PASSENGER SERVICE EXPANDS WESTWARD - DUNDITCH DIVISION
Dunditch Division - March 1905A.png
Dunditch Division - March 1905A.png (733.97 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Dunditch Central Station - March 1905a.png
Dunditch Central Station - March 1905a.png (484.55 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
Malgrove - March 1905a.png
Malgrove - March 1905a.png (329.06 KiB) Viewed 4674 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Espee wrote:(1901-1904) PASSENGER SERVICE EXPANDS WESTWARD - DUNDITCH DIVISION
Dunditch Division - March 1905A.png
Dunditch Central Station - March 1905a.png
Malgrove - March 1905a.png
I like the show the development of Railways in stages :) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

None of the last 3 pics show up for me...
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Tarborough Trunk, founded 1870 (NARS/ECS/Large Heightmap)

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So what has happened since 1905?
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So what has happened since 1905?
You mean since I last posted updates to this game in November 2013? :roll: Quite a few things: I changed jobs and moved twice, traveled to Mexico and Sweden on business, put my desktop computer (the one on which I played this game) in storage, got a replacement laptop, and started several new games since then. I also wound up in the hospital with high blood pressure, and my doc made it clear I needed to spend less time on the computer and more time getting some exercise. Given that I moved to Reno, Nevada back in February of this year, I took advantage of summer weather and being within an hour's drive of the Sierra Nevada to do some hiking and train-chasing on the Union Pacific over Donner Pass. I'll get back to more OTTD as the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, and maybe I will pick up where I left off, but as much as I enjoy OpenTTD, it's not my only form of entertainment...
Dsc_0666c.jpg
Dsc_0666c.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Img_4419c.jpg
Img_4419c.jpg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Img_3579c.jpg
Img_3579c.jpg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

President Shoelaces and his employees can do nothing without you...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Oh hey, that's the old Stockholm metro trains converted to local train services along the Saltsjöbanan. Notice the skirt they use to extend the train to the platform!!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
labrown
Engineer
Engineer

Post by labrown »

Hi Espee,

Your posts ispired me to try out your heightmap with the current version of OpenTTD and a (hopefully) reasonable approximation of your settings and NewGRFs. I'm having problems getting a decent starting setup in the same area of the map you developed. I either don't have enough industries in the area, or they are literally spammed everywhere in the relatively flat area between the two rivers.

Did you start with minimal industries and build them in later?

AWESOME heightmap!

Thanks,
Lance

Return to “Screenshots”