[OTTD]Pyo's screens

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD]Pyo's screens

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, I considered using that, but it'd mean using more space to place the buildings somewhere. So I did something that kept those ^^;

And I mean, it's more like ... you could do the actual layouts. Change the ground sprites so there's taxiways that go where they should be going. Maybe also add snow tiles. Stuff like that.
So this is just a personal "hack". 30 mins or so work ;)

edit:
Couldn't leave it alone.
airport_small.png
airport_small.png (66.38 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
Mixed up two of the crossing*, I'm just noticing. And offsets need fixing, as always, stupid /§DN($§(. But otherwise I'm quite happy with this perfectly function small airport ;)

*seriously, whoever wrote the original code: first row of tiles in order 1-4, second row in order 4-1?! But only for rotations 3 and 4. No wonder I mixed that one up. :p
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yexo (and I believe Planetmaker as well) has said that if somebody is willing to do the work to patch OpenGFX+ Airports with new graphics for every layout and rotation, they'd add it to the set. I think Quast's graphics would be a great addition.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Frankly, it's like this: what I should probably do is add a parameter somewhere, add the modified sprites as an alternative to the original ones, and make some adjustments where needed.
It'd probably wouldn't be very much work at all for those who know what they are doing, but they aren't me xD

I don't get half the code the GRF uses. So what I've done here is ignore that part and code it myself in a simpler manner and then just reuse the old layouts. In other words, while perfectly functional (as a replacement), if you want to keep the GRF code consistent, it's useless (twice so because I hadn't planned as far as "mh, let's actually do the layouts". Didn't even think it was so easily possible, actually. So I first replaced the old graphics and then added the new ones. So the new ones actually replace new ones, now ^^).

I did contemplate doing it from scratch and then people can either take or not, but I'm not sure I have the motivation. For now though, I'll probably do one or two more layouts and go from there ^^
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Screenshots :shock:

I decided to tackle this region. Thought a new airport would make sense there:
aesthetics_71.png
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Add some details, set up some new lines:
aesthetics_72.png
(1.09 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Add some further details (I like the RV depot) and industry, set up some cargo lines:
aesthetics_73.png
(1.13 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Make sure the supporting industry gets build and connected, clean up, add some more stuff:
aesthetics_74.png
(1.11 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Now to wait for the towns to "grow in" and on to doing something else while that happens ;)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Pyoro wrote:Make sure the supporting industry gets build and connected, clean up, add some more stuff:
aesthetics_74.png

Now to wait for the towns to "grow in" and on to doing something else while that happens ;)
Really nice ! However, you should get the standard line's tunnel south entrance 2 tiles further, and maybe convert the tunnel to a modern rail line so that it fits with the airport ambiance.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Good idea about converting the tunnel. Done. I'll have to go through the map and look where else that might be good :D

Inspired by some screenshots I've recently seen I thought I'd try doing some castle-town sort of thing. The lack of snow-awareness is a bit of an issue right now but it looks fine in summer ;)
aesthetics_75.png
(527.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
As you can see coal is taken through the town to the bottom of the mountain where it's then distributed on faster trucks. Thing is ...
aesthetics_76.png
(577.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
After having established that route I build this bridge, which is West of the coal mine. So ... the distribution center is basically on the wrong side. So I decided that the viaduct is closed to heavy traffic and the trucks are routed via waypoints through the motorway at the bottom ;)
aesthetics_77.png
(589.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Elsewhere, I started on this (hm, there's a road piece missing ^^). Anyway, needs to "grow in" for now ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I was in the mood for some loops so I build them, but then I had nothing to connect the train to. So I build an island with a city. That's totally how real life should work, too.
aesthetics_78.png
(752.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Somehow this area went mildly tropical. Some plantations and ... a jungle-sort of thing? Who knows what that is. A mystery!
aesthetics_79.png
(809.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
As can be seen here, quite a few parts of the map aren't properly covered with services. Take it as a symbol that I went over some passenger lines and such ^^ But ... it's largely rubbish with cargo dist, to be honest. Yeah, totally take that route from the airport via helicopter to an oilplattform and then via ship to a harbor and from there with a bus to the next train station instead of just taking the connecting train from the airport trainstation to the trainstation in question. ^^It's hopeless trying to get any sort of order into this mess :/
aesthetics_80.png
(844.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

I really like the look of that loop and your gameplay style :)

and regarding the difficulty with cargo dist, dont know if you will find this usefull but what i usually do to make it manageable is to use a relatively high effect of distance on demand, ranging from 170 to 200% (so most of passenger are not trying to travel very far). Then daylenght helps a lot too by giving more time to actually transport all the people. Then the amount of passenger generated still allow for some profitable long distance business, but in a way where player can cope with the demand without having to have dedicated tracks for every line.

Edit : P.S the problem that remain then is that you might have some very busy trams and busses route, so it s good to have them with high capacity (but this problem remain the same, if not worst, with lower effect of distance on demand)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Thanks. And I quite agree about that loop. It's probably my favorite loop from those that I've build so far :mrgreen:

I've pretty given up on CargoDist/passengers for this savegame. It's just ridiculous; without any sort of proper "weight" system to the lines and destinations it's way too random whatever I do. ^^

A new InterCity bus line from here:
aesthetics_82.png
(882.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
To there:
aesthetics_83.png
(832.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Actually, those bus lines are probably half the reason cargodist is so messed up in this game. If I used buses only for local traffic and did intercity traffic just with trains it'd probably be a bit cleaner and make slightly more sense ... but where's the fun in that? My autobahns need traffic, too ;)

Some mountain towns hunkering down for the winter. Luckily, they can't be cut off anymore since they now have a modern Zeppelin connection to the nearby airport, down in the valleys.
aesthetics_81.png
(955.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I can't tell where's the landing spot, it looks like objects though there is an airplane symbol...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Zeppelins work like helico℗ters, so look for the H in a circle ;)

And yes, the actual heliport is only 4 tiles in a square - depot, terminal, landing spot and one empty piece of tarmac. The extra tarmac with fences and those other two depots are just objects.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Pyoro wrote:Zeppelins work like helico℗ters, so look for the H in a circle ;)

And yes, the actual heliport is only 4 tiles in a square - depot, terminal, landing spot and one empty piece of tarmac. The extra tarmac with fences and those other two depots are just objects.
Wait...Fake Airport Objects modifies the airports ? :shock:
Or it's just overlapping tiles ?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

acs121 wrote:Wait...Fake Airport Objects modifies the airports ? :shock:
Or it's just overlapping tiles ?
Naw, it's a modified OpenGFX+ airport GRF. See here:
download/file.php?id=199896
then here:
download/file.php?id=199902

Basically just some sprites c&p and compiled.

There's something (kind of) similar available here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75389
Just, as the title says, entirely Empty, while I replaced stuff ^^
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Let's have a very large screenshot for a change:
aesthetics_84.png
(5.41 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I think I'm quite happy with this portion of the map (the blacked out area is basically empty so I saved some file size ^^).

I know originally I only wanted to do a certain area in this save properly but I've since decided differently, obviously :mrgreen:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

What the heck is that facility south-east of Nagasaki ? Shinkansen maintenance center ?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Going by the nearby test track I think it's more of a development/testing facility than just maintenance, but probably something like that, yeah ;)

This square lake has bugged me for a long time. Didn't have any clue what to do with it - as it's a "river-made" lake I couldn't even terraform it into a non-square form:
aesthetics_85.png
(743.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Turns out one can build industries on that type of water, too. So now it's a fish farm. Quite nice, I think. Totally should be a possible industry layout.
aesthetics_86.png
(680.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
aesthetics_87.png
(711.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
An outdated passenger line on the other end of the map. Sinking passenger numbers mean it went without any upgrades in decades, but running the last steam-powered train in the region it's now become some sort of heritage preservation project thing.
Juggynaunt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juggynaunt »

These are some really great screenshots! There's a lot of great ideas and details, yet everything seems so clean. :D
Check out my screenshots ---> Here!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

You know in FooBar's Tram Tracks there is a parameter to have JapanSet Landscape grass underneath, right ? :D
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't really like the "proper" ballast and I don't like having no ballast at all, so arctic grass, even if misused, feels decently correct to me to have there ;)
Juggynaunt wrote:These are some really great screenshots! There's a lot of great ideas and details, yet everything seems so clean. :D
Thanks. It's easy to keep things clean with those small two-line networks ... next time I really need to build bigger ^^

Return to “Screenshots”