TT-Screenshot Of The Month - April 2012 to November 2013

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TT-Screenshot Of The Month - August Entries

Post by STD »

Purno wrote:I'm just gonna be very honest here and probably stirr up quite something.

IMO the new theme is lame. Of course OzTrans is free to pick any theme he likes, but I'm free to disagree.

Firstly, the theme is very restrictive by limiting it to one specific country. A country many of us probably have never seen IRL.
Secondly, there's only a few Canadian GRFs available in the Online Content, and a train set isn't one of them.
Thirdly, since I know OzTrans is involved in developing a Canadian set, This seems like a blunt way to promote his own GRFs.

I think I'll just skip participating in this month's competition.
Quite interesting topic for this month's selected OzTrans. But I agree with you Purno. I like to use a more advanced set of graphics, not limiting specific GRF's. In the current theme I do not participate. Next month, I will participate.
Last edited by STD on 03 Aug 2013 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DISCLAIMER:Considering that I am Canadian, I will be recusing myself from this month's contest.

I am looking forward to seeing the entries. It should be fun seeing how others see Canada.
Purno wrote:... the theme is very restrictive by limiting it to one specific country.
Canada is so large and expansive ... there is a wealth of topography to focus upon. IMHO the challenge is what to select from all that variety.
A country many of us probably have never seen IRL.
I am one of those. There is so much of Canada that I have never seen other than some random photos, and I live there. :roll:
Secondly, there's only a few Canadian GRFs available in the Online Content, and a train set isn't one of them.
But a train set is one of them. Have another look. Also, although it was suggested using the Canadian GRFs, it is not a precondition. Personally, I would be quite interested in seeing how other systems would work in this land of mine.
Thirdly, since I know OzTrans is involved in developing a Canadian set, This seems like a blunt way to promote his own GRFs.
Nothing wrong with a little self agrandizement. Canadians are by and large quite introverted. This month's contest should be good therapy.
I'm sorry to hear that. Your highly imaginative interpretations are quite entertaining, although those damned Torontonians might be a bit put off seeing their CN Tower representd as a candy cane. :twisted:

Come on folks ... Show me your stuff ... How would you make Canada a better place for me to live? :D
Last edited by wallyweb on 03 Aug 2013 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Canada ? I don't even really know how it looks like...

Huh, if you mean anything sub-arctic, then i'm in.

EDIT : silence seems to be disagree, then I'm out. :(
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

YNM wrote:Canada ? I don't even really know how it looks like...

Huh, if you mean anything sub-arctic, then i'm in.

EDIT : silence seems to be disagree, then I'm out. :(
Lot's of sub-arctic in Canada. :wink:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

wallyweb wrote:Lot's of sub-arctic in Canada. :wink:
If I had time to play any sub-arctic scenario with american/canadian styled buildings, and some lakes, maybe i'll submit one. Most of my games is temperate, or way too much european.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

Purno wrote:I'm just gonna be very honest here and probably stirr up quite something.

IMO the new theme is lame. Of course OzTrans is free to pick any theme he likes, but I'm free to disagree.

Firstly, the theme is very restrictive by limiting it to one specific country. A country many of us probably have never seen IRL.

I agree. I know that OzTrans is free to choose his theme, but I will also not participate because, I also think this is just "blunt way to promote his own GRFs" as Purno stated.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Hmmmm, this is a difficult discussion.

I see where Purno and the rest are coming from, and I must admit when I first saw your chosen theme I did think "oooh, this isn't going to go down so well". Still, I am very much someone who plays OTTD by recreating scenarios from different regions of the globe, so this is right up my street in that sense.

Perhaps in an effort to compromise we could change it to North American-style screenshots? That could be anything from a huge, crowded metropolis to a large, expansive prairie, to the depths of the Rocky mountains. Obviously this is OzTrans' choice but it would be a shame to have a contest with only 2 or 3 entrants - although this has happened in the past!
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I like OzTrans a lot, but I will admit that my first knee-jerk reaction was "Nice way to plug your Canadian NewGRFs! This will go over well!"

I think Wallyweb's follow-up post has changed my mind a bit. I've never visited Canada either, but it's hard to think of this as being a very restrictive subject. As a land mass, it's larger than the United States. In topography and weather, it only lacks the sandy deserts of the southwest US and northern Mexico, and the sub-tropical conditions of southeastern US and the Caribbean isles. It has huge mountains, barren arctic regions, grassy plains, vast farmlands, small towns to giant metropolitan areas, rising and falling industrial zones, oil drilling, gold and diamond mining, fishing, and vast rail, highway, airports and seaports.

Don't look at this as only being able to design something using the Canadian NewGRFs. Instead, look at this as an opportunity to learn something about a country that you don't yet know, and build something from that. Maybe you re-create a historical scene, maybe you take what is already known and turn it into what it could be.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I don't see anything wrong with the theme, I might even throw together a screenshot for an entry this round.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

I agree 100% with purno et al., and can grfs are not available at all in the nightlies. I won't participate either
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Purno wrote:I think I'll just skip participating in this month's competition.
STD wrote:In the current theme I do not participate. Next month, I will participate.
Katve wrote:I agree. I know that OzTrans is free to choose his theme, but I will also not participate because, I also think this is just "blunt way to promote his own GRFs" as Purno stated.
zooks wrote:I agree 100% with purno et al., and can grfs are not available at all in the nightlies. I won't participate either
Since there's already 4 people skipping the contest over this month's theme, I have an idea.

The contest rules do not say one has to stick to the theme. What if we were just gonna submit screenshots which do not match the theme at all, so we still have screenshots to vote on? This way we'll be boycotting OzTrans' theme, instead of the whole competition where SwissFan puts quite a bit of effort in. Granted, the voting may end up being more political about the choice of theme, rather than the screenshots itself.

An alternative would be to hold our own little screenshot contest for this particular month.

Any thoughts?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Purno wrote:Any thoughts?
What if someone had chosen Europe or Germany or Japan or Sweden or United Kingdom or France or Switzerland? Would you be boycotting those as well? For all the years that I participated in this community I never ceased being amazed at the international diversity served up by its members. I am eternally greatful for TTDPatch and subsequently OpenTTD for making all this possible. It would be nice if we could all overcome our prejudices and celebrate this opportunity to learn about worlds away from our own. To be perfectly honest, I am surprised that, until now, nobody has suggested a topic with a national flavour. I sincerely hope that the four of you reconsider your decisions and instead help to make this contest the fun thing it was intended to be.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

SwissFan91 wrote:only 2 or 3 entrants
I remember that time I was finally on 3rd place :mrgreen:
Purno wrote: Since there's already 4 people skipping the contest over this month's theme, I have an idea.

The contest rules do not say one has to stick to the theme. What if we were just gonna submit screenshots which do not match the theme at all, so we still have screenshots to vote on? This way we'll be boycotting OzTrans' theme, instead of the whole competition where SwissFan puts quite a bit of effort in. Granted, the voting may end up being more political about the choice of theme, rather than the screenshots itself.

An alternative would be to hold our own little screenshot contest for this particular month.

Any thoughts?
I don't actually know about that. I will wait for a moment to see how Oztrans and Swissfan react and I will then decide what to do.
zooks wrote: and can grfs are not available at all in the nightlies.
They aren't even available to latest stable release. (1.3.2)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Purno wrote:The contest rules do not say one has to stick to the theme. What if we were just gonna submit screenshots which do not match the theme at all, so we still have screenshots to vote on? This way we'll be boycotting OzTrans' theme, instead of the whole competition where SwissFan puts quite a bit of effort in. Granted, the voting may end up being more political about the choice of theme, rather than the screenshots itself. Any thoughts?
I think that is incredibly disrespectful to both OzTrans and all previous winners, and it completely defeats the spirit of the contest. The rules of the contest says that the winner gets to pick the next theme, and an overwhelming majority of participants gave OzTrans that respect and that right through the last round of voting. OzTrans' choice of theme isn't disrespectful to any member of this forum, it's not obscene, immoral or illegal in any way.

It's one thing to not participate because you're not interested in the theme, but to single out a member of this community and deem their choices as not being worthy, to the point of staging a protest? That's completely uncivilized. Honestly, anybody supporting such an idea should feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves for this attempted ostracization, for no legitimate reason at all.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

I kinda agree to your point also Kamnet when you put it that way . I don't like theme and my opinion still stays, but I think it is uncivilized to post pictures that are not in theme to boycott SOTM.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

wallyweb wrote:What if someone had chosen Europe or Germany or Japan or Sweden or United Kingdom or France or Switzerland? Would you be boycotting those as well? For all the years that I participated in this community I never ceased being amazed at the international diversity served up by its members. I am eternally greatful for TTDPatch and subsequently OpenTTD for making all this possible. It would be nice if we could all overcome our prejudices and celebrate this opportunity to learn about worlds away from our own. To be perfectly honest, I am surprised that, until now, nobody has suggested a topic with a national flavour. I sincerely hope that the four of you reconsider your decisions and instead help to make this contest the fun thing it was intended to be.
Well well, double sided sword. :wink:

Anyway, if I make a heightmap, which part of canada you canadians suggest ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kamnet wrote:I think that is incredibly disrespectful to both OzTrans and all previous winners, and it completely defeats the spirit of the contest. The rules of the contest says that the winner gets to pick the next theme, and an overwhelming majority of participants gave OzTrans that respect and that right through the last round of voting. OzTrans' choice of theme isn't disrespectful to any member of this forum, it's not obscene, immoral or illegal in any way.

It's one thing to not participate because you're not interested in the theme, but to single out a member of this community and deem their choices as not being worthy, to the point of staging a protest? That's completely uncivilized. Honestly, anybody supporting such an idea should feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves for this attempted ostracization, for no legitimate reason at all.
Very well. Then the contest will continue with less participants.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Oh come on people, it's a screenshot competition, not the end of the world, put the toys back in the pram and move on.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I agree. Let everything be as it is :) . I'll wait another theme. Already decided so.
I just do not all themes like. I respect the selected OzTrans' theme :) , but it is not in my taste.
I think that participants will normally in this month :wink: .
Badger wrote:Oh come on people, it's a screenshot competition, not the end of the world, put the toys back in the pram and move on.
I agree with Badger.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Everyone is free to not like a theme for the competition, don't like it, don't participate. There aren't any rules that say that a theme has to be so universal so that loads of people can and will compete.

Regarding remarks about promoting a specific grf-pack, I see it more that the creator of certain grf's is curious about how people use his grf's, how imaginative they can be with tools that he has created and not simple as a promotional thing.
Furthermore, I think this theme is interesting because you can try to simulate some reallife stuff, it just takes some work (for example, try to simulate an existing rail/road/water/airroute). Gladly there are enough tools available (google-earth, pictures, movies) to see how a certain area looks if you have never been there.

I will certainly give it a try.

And finally, congratulations OzTrans with your victory, excellent shot!!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “Screenshots”