Wasila's Screenies - British Rail

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasila's Screenies

Post by Wasila »

Over the last few years the London-Birmingham section of the WCML has been massively upgraded, to allow for a rapid service between the two hubs. A few new lines have been constructed as well, with expansion further into the Midlands.
British Rail, 4th Aug 1975#1.png
British Rail, 4th Aug 1975#1.png (133.67 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
On the left is Luton and stopping trains to Birmingham; on the right is a new 'shortcut' for the express trains. Below, a diesel to Hitchin can be seen. Here we can also see NoCAB doing their thing in two areas - with their bus running from Luton to Stevenage (and competing with British Rail to boot), as well as with their High-Speed track delivering coal.
British Rail, 2nd Sep 1975.png
British Rail, 2nd Sep 1975.png (155.54 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
A massive Euston station, a terminus dedicated to the WCML (as well as to the London Orbital Railway, of course).
British Rail, 13th Oct 1975.png
British Rail, 13th Oct 1975.png (132.79 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
The new hub of Grantham, where we can see a part of the massive Cambridge-Doncaster extension of the East Coast Main Line to London Liverpool Street as well as the, ironically, higher capacity local route to Derby via Nottingham, where one can change for services to Birmingham. This discrepancy is due to the new double-track specification for all new lines.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasila's Screenies - British Rail

Post by Wasila »

Not been spending much time on this game, and the time I have been spending has been on untangling jams in the approach to London Euston (I have had tailbacks stretching to Milton Keynes!) However, I have also had time to embark on a major reform of the Manchester area, to reduce congestion at Piccadilly station.
British Rail, 28th Nov 1984.png
British Rail, 28th Nov 1984.png (165.97 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Oxford Road station, servicing Blackburn, Preston and Chester.
British Rail, 30th Nov 1984.png
British Rail, 30th Nov 1984.png (168.71 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Sheffield station, a rapidly expanding new hub. Sheffield is at the heart of the growing Midlands network gateway to the Midlands, with trains to the WCML at Manchester, the ECML at Doncaster, and Derby. A line to Leeds is planned, which already has connections to Manchester Victoria.
British Rail, 30th Nov 1984#1.png
British Rail, 30th Nov 1984#1.png (156.45 KiB) Viewed 215 times
A flourishing Birmingham New Street. Birmingham is now the largest city to have only one hub, and as a result New Street is the single largest railway station in the network, with 90 out of 339 trains servicing it. Destinations include Gloucester, Nottingham and Swindon, other than London and Manchester of course.

EDIT: Are these a tad too wide? I was hoping that they would show up without clicking through.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Wasila wrote:EDIT: Are these a tad too wide? I was hoping that they would show up without clicking through.
My browser shows 807 x 601 Pixel @ 8 Bits pro Pixel for "British Rail, 30th Nov 1984#1.png" for example, which is exactly 7 pixels too wide and one too high.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I've just started again on my British Rail game, so here are some more screenies :).
crash.png
crash.png (68.67 KiB) Viewed 214 times
I've actually had to pause this game, as it keeps crashing <_<.
However, here is the exit from London Waterloo. You can see a London Orbital service just pulling in at Leatherhead, coming from Paddington in the west. Waterloo services the south coast, with services primarily to Southampton and Brighton - the Jubilee steam train on the right is heading to the former destination. At the bottom we see a small first for the company - valuable services! This train is carrying 120 bags of valuables down to Crawley.
London Victoria.PNG
London Victoria.PNG (256.29 KiB) Viewed 214 times
A congested Victoria, with services to the busy railway town of Maidstone as well as Ashford. The ancient black steam train you see on the left is an antiquated service to Sittingbourne, untouched since the dark days of the war - you can see, the paint job still reflects the dangers of the Blitz.
Sheffield.PNG
Sheffield.PNG (247.66 KiB) Viewed 214 times
British Rail has often been criticised for being too London-centric, so here's a shot in the north, home to much of the more recent expansion. Sheffield is a fairly major terminus, with services to Manchester, Derby, Doncaster and Leeds. At the bottom you can see a train coming in from Manchester Victoria, the city's second station.

Feedback appreciated, good and bad!

Wasila
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

some really nice shots here, well done !

one hint though, if u want to get rid of the town building crossroads on your tracks, simply lower the land at the border of your tracks, city then won t be able to build over the track ;)

oh and what happened to leatherhead ? don t they deserve to have a station building and some trees ? ;)
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Isn't there simply a setting which disables towns building crossings with your tracks.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Oh, I don't really mind the level crossings. They don't slow my trains, and on the odd occasion kill off one of my competitor's vehicles :P.

Thanks, I'm working on making my games more realistic, not building double track immediately etc. I assure you, Leatherhead has plenty of trees, I just keep forgetting to turn the transparency off <_<. Lots of my stations don't have buildings - I guess the passengers just hop from one platform to another.
Liverpool Street.PNG
Liverpool Street.PNG (158.15 KiB) Viewed 209 times
A busy London Liverpool Street, home to the Great Eastern Main Line to Ipswich (pending expansion north ever since its construction in 1942...) The steam trains on the bottom and at the top, whose shining red liveries attract many tourists, make up part of the Orbital Railway, in this case to Victoria and King's Cross, respectively. The more modern train in the centre heads to Southend.
Birmingham.PNG
(621.52 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Birmingham New Street is by far the busiest station, serving over twice as many trains as its nearest rival, London Euston. This station is the crown in the jewel of the backbone three-part West Coast Main Line, where trains from both London and Manchester terminate (the third part connects Manchester with Liverpool). In this shot you see many InterCity express trains, the fastest train in the network, as well as the steam stopping trains. Solihull, while fairly busy in this shot, is often empty, and has gone into a state of disrepair since the advent of express services, an innovation designed initially to bypass the congestion at Solihull. Nowadays the lengthy queues for which the WCML is famous for build up in the suburbs of north London.

We can also see an ancient local service to Gloucester here, right at the bottom left.
Junction.PNG
(339.15 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
A sleepy part of the network near to Manchester. The red train is actually a WCML service to Liverpool, while we can just see the tail end of a Chester service. On the right is a stub of a line, which runs up to a mysterious station in Manchester which has never actually been built.

Return to “Screenshots”