Wasila's Screenies - British Rail

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: GlobalTrans: The Dream that Came to Life

Post by Wasila »

Double post sucks but only 3 attachments per post. Network map attached.
Attachments
GlobalTrans Network Map.PNG
GlobalTrans Network Map.PNG (15.69 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

Glasgow to Naples? Nice :D

Looks good - Victoria has migrated south a bit thought :lol:
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Yeah - so has Heathrow :P.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Due to the extension of the West European Mainline down to Rhine-Main, sharing tracks with the Rhine Line, Rhein-Ruhr has become massively congested. Due to this an extra two platforms were added to the station, bringing the total up to five. All of the platforms have also been upgraded to Suburban-class. Rhine-Ruhr is now the second largest city in the world, behind London. It also has more platforms than any other rail station. Twenty trains and nine buses dock at the station.
GlobalTrans, 26th Apr 1949.png
(149.35 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
GlobalTrans, 8th Dec 1950.png
(301.26 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
The upgraded station, with company finances in the top left and a local map below it. Red is GlobalTrans, yellow is NoCAB and the creamy colour is ChooChoo. ChooChoo competes with GlobalTrans for Turin-Milan, but ChooChoo uses a route that redundantly loops around, and that sticks out here. The second attachment is with transparency switched off.
GlobalTrans, 27th Apr 1949.png
(133.13 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Rhine-Main, above, has, quite by accident, become the largest rail station on the network. Due to the extension of the West European Mainline, the station now receives thirty-four trains. The east-west platforms are for the Mainline and Rhine Lines, and the north-south platforms go south on the Italian Line, and east on the brand new German Capital Connect service. On the map you can see the crazy ChooChoo route as well as Global Trans services in Milan.

From Berlin, GlobalTrans operates a bus service to Prague via Dresden. ChooChoo operates a small metro network from Dresden, going to Lodz and Poznan.

From now on I will maintain a network map on the first post. Check there to see the new additions.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to turn transparency off. From now on I'll have trees and buildings in my screenies! Also how do you make the pictures actually visible in the post?
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

Wasila wrote:Also how do you make the pictures actually visible in the post?
Make them smaller. There is a limit to what will display inline. I would be interested to see the world map as big as you can make it. Maybe stitch some shots together in a paint program?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

What is the maximum size?

Even with fonso's minimap zoom out, I'm having difficult in fitting the whole map in. I've made the whole screen the minimap and put it on company ownership view (if you want I'll add a different one as well).
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951.png
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Western Europe. Red is GlobalTrans, yellow is NoCab and creamy-grew is ChooChoo.
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951#2.png
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Eastern Europe, which is dominated by ChooChoo. The GlobalTrans routes in the east are minor freight routes, and the cut-off route at the bottom is for oil (I have very few freight services).
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951#4.png
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
India is above, Japan and eastern China below. GlobalTrans was considering a route across China, but settled for one in India instead. Currently GlobalTrans has other priorities, but expanding into China is a possibility.

Tomorrow morning I'll have a pretty major update, I've been playing like mad.
Next post will feature Africa and North America.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951#5.png
(21.86 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
The only rail in Africa, courtesy of ChooChoo.
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951#6.png
(38.21 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
North America. You can clearly see the extension that has recently been constructed to Chicago and St. Louis (more in next update). In the north is a small wood/goods service, ending at Toronto.
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951#7.png
(24.45 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
A close-up of the western seaboard. The ChooChoo route from Sacramento to San Francisco is currently under construction. The SF-LA route by GlobalTrans is one of the only metro services remaining from the days before steam was invented. It may be upgraded in the future.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Despite a lack of replies as a well of the complete lack of any sizeable gap between updates... UPDATE! I also decided to ignore the possibility of having the images shown in the post - I thought that an 800x600 pic would not do the stations justice.

Firstly, it has been confirmed. Recently GlobalTrans opened the extension of its North American network, bringing it ever further inland. The line used to terminate at Pittsburgh however has now been extended to Indianapolis and St. Louis. However, roughly half the trains actually terminate at Chicago instead of St. Louis after branching to the north.

Rhine-Ruhr's record of most platforms in a rail station was quickly smashed as Rhine-Main was extended. The extension of the West European Mainline brought many new pressures to the station and so it has also added another two platforms, bringing the total up to six. Rhine-Ruhr, however, still holds the title of most platforms in one direction.
GlobalTrans, 14th Jul 1951.png
(326.66 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
The shinily expanded Rhine-Main station. Once again, the Rhine line and West European Mainline run on the tracks running west. South is the Italian line, and east is German Capital Connect.

The Birmingham-Manchester metro has been expanded in a bid to finally open direct services between London and Birmingham. A horse and carriage service was one run on the route, however it failed to attract passengers. When looking for inspiration for a mini-junction, GlobalTrans 'borrowed' the one commonly used by ChooChoo. The new metro from London-Manchester is the highest capacity train on the planet, carrying 1,090 passengers, however this may be downsized as demand is not high enough. This network broke the 100 train barrier.
GlobalTrans, 14th Jul 1951#2.png
(296.13 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
The high-capacity train is just visible near the bottom-right corner, coming away from the new 2-platform terminal built at London Victoria. The British Line is also clearly visible here.

The Japenese Line has finally been upgraded from metro to steam, leaving Los Angeles-San Francisco the only metro route constructed before the invention of steam. The service runs Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo and includes a mail service.

A new line has also been constructed between Shanghai and Wuhan, aiming at addressing the lack of services in the region. The Shanghai station was placed excellently, surrounded by buildings, and has proved immensely popular. Hong Kong may gain a railway route in the future, however an east-west line was considered easier to incorporate into a potential 'Global Network'.
GlobalTrans, 14th Jul 1951#3.png
(275.41 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
No buildings were demolished in the making of this station. The space literally there, as if the local authority was preparing for a station. In the top left the minimap shows the entire route, as well as a bustling NoCab route from Shanghai to Hefei.

There are also rumours that an alternative to the Royal Hudson may appear on the scene soon. The 90 mp/h trains have not been rivalled in the 30-odd years of their existence and now make up almost 80% of GlobalTrans rail stock, the rest being comprised mostly of cargo trains and also of the ancient metro stock (London Underground stock from 1903). However recently an 87 mp/h train was released and it is believed that Royal Hudson's record may soon be broken.

I've noticed dozens of views but only two people have said anything - is this like last time?

EDIT: Keep yours eyes on the network map, page 1, as I may be extending German Capital Connect into eastern Europe. It's about time I competed with ChooChoo there.
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

Very cool screenies.

I lol'd at the "not to scale" message.
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Europe before:
GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1951.png
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
and after:
GlobalTrans, 5th Jun 1952.png
(38.36 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Yes, the old German Capital Connect has been abolised and the East European Mainline has been born! Starting in Rhine-Main and breaking new barriers in complexity, the network offers three routes out of Berlin!

Kiev via Warsaw (North Route)
Kiev via Vienna and Budapest (South Route)
Istanbul via Vienna and Budapest

The tracks have been extensively tunneled, having to dodge past the ChooChoo tracks already in the region. Ten trains now run on the line, including mail trains.

Also I just realised that London Victoria actually has the most platforms :oops: with eight, facing three different directions. It also has an airport. And it has six more trains than Rhine-Ruhr, thanks to the busy British Line! With four lines now terminating at Rhine-Main, including both mainlines, I would think that its future as the capital of the European Network is secured.

EDIT: Also 200 rvs.
EDIT2: And the 1,090 passenger metro train has been reduced to standard 730.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Is it common to have so many views and so few comments?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I'm going to try a new format based on newspaper articles, and I may expand on it in the future. This'll be my last update for a while as I'm going away for ten days, to Germany.

Transportation Times

AMERICAN RAIL GRINDS TO A HALT:

The entire North American Mainline, the largest single rail line on the planet, was brought to a halt as platform expansion at New York City led to a major crash at the railway entrance. Fortunately, all trains involved were mail trains so there were few casualties but the drivers were kill instantly. The crash has been attributed to the movement of signals while trains were waiting at the station. Services ran on and off until the clearance of the trains began.

While the wagons were being removed, services were restarted and trains began to run again. A mail train coming in from Montreal crashed into the wreckage of the first two and proceeded to block up the Montreal branch. The rest of the mainline, however, continued to operate as normal.

As an indirect result of the crash and its ensuing chaos, Montreal-New York trains now also continue to Boson, making the branch a fully-fledged branch of the mainline.
GlobalTrans, 28th Dec 1954.png
(322.66 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
New York station after the crash (I forgot to take one during it :P). The first crash happened when a train coming in from the branch slammed into a train entering a platform on the western side. The second crash was slightly further up the branch, only affecting the track leading into it.
--

GLOBALTRANS: RAIL BIAS?

Flights between Chicago and NY have been cancelled to 'free up space' for trans-atlantic flights to NY, however it has been rumoured that the real reason is to get more passengers on the railways. Instead, Chicago has flights to Los Angeles, which has until now been disconnected from the network. Meanwhile, trans-atlantic flights have become more popular then ever.

While the lack of Chicago planes will certainly free up space, it is London and Paris that really need the extra flight capacity. The airport constructors, Air Incorporated, have announced that a new, larger airport will be released in the near future.
GlobalTrans, 28th Dec 1954#2.png
(244.53 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
An overcrowded Heathrow Airport. The planes are the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, and pretty new to the fleet. NoCab is still on Zeppelins. You can see the new bridges out of Britain in the corner. London, Birmingham and Manchester have grown into eachother, forming a sort of supercity with almost 250,000 inhabitants.

--

IN OTHER NEWS:

A new rail line has opened in South America, the first in the entire continent. The GlobalTrans line runs from Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo via Curitiba, using standard track and rails.

And finally, the speed of the Royal Hudson has finally been met by the British Metrovic EM2, also reporting a speed of 90 mp/h. This electric vehicle has been in development for years, with the sole intention of introducing a competitor to the Royal Hudson. This further strengthens the suggestion that some truly high-speed trains are on the horizon, and many projects worldwide are looking into the possibilities provided by diesel. Is that the end of the romantic age of Steam?

GlobalTrans has not reported any intentions of upgrading to the Metoriv, even though the new vehicles are roughly half the price of the Royal Hudsons. We are sure that when GlobalTrans does go electric, it will change the colour of the wagons from the company red and blue, which quite frankly look horrible.

GlobalTrans, 16th Jan 1955.png
(68.54 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
In the above picture an EM2 and a Royal Hudson race each other on a temporary test track near Brussels railway station, each with a slightly reduced number of carriages from the standard. GlobalTrans has recently been considering setting up a 'railway museum', which would contain some of the oldest retired vehicles. This museum is likely to occupy the space taken by this test track.
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Wasila wrote:Is it common to have so many views and so few comments?
Yes, because what you did is grab an extremely large scenario, build exclusively straight lines, don't create realistic routes ( I haven't saw a tunnel in the screenies ) and your pictures represent what an AI can do - a simple and not exactly beautiful network. To grab more comments you could at least try to cut some of the useless info ( such as parts of a 50 k city ), the bare grass ( since you have hidden the trees ) and I don't know, use some curves?
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

I really like the idea of your game...sounds like a lot of fun. I tried a scenario a while ago using a cargodest with infrastructure sharing build..and it was intersting linking my network to the AI's....would work quite well in your game if it was possible! (It is in a roundabout way....get passengers to change at an oil rig!)

My only problem with your screenshots is that i don't like having so many siginals on the track...but thats only my personal preference.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Hmm... I have been using tunnels but I obviously haven't posted screenies of the right places...

Sorry about network map having different fonts - I lost the default and can't find it again. What is the default for/what was I using in MS Paint?

Transportation Times

RAILROAD MANIA HITS PLANET EARTH:

In the last few years GlobalTrans has stepped up the expansion of its rail network, introducing a huge number of new lines as well as extensions to old ones. Europe has been hit particularly hard by this obsession, which has taken it by storm. From 1954-57 half a dozen major changes have been to the network and we detail them in this issue of Transportation Times. We detail them below, sorting them by their impact on the networks around them:

1. First intra-city service/expansion of the East European Mainline

Rhine-Ruhr has become the first city with more than one separate station, with 'Region Woods' and 'Region Valley'. Due to this and other expansion the main Rhine-Ruhr stations has been massively expanded. Due to a NoCAB road in the area, the line has had to compensate, as shown here:
GlobalTrans, 19th Dec 1957.png
(301.18 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
The extension of the East European Mainline is detailed in the network map. This extension adds yet more layers of complexity to the map, though services do not run using all possibilities.

2. North American Mainline Extension

St. Louis extended to Kansas City and later Denver Region. The tunnels connecting Kansas and Denver are the longest in the world at 119 tiles each - they cost £1.5 million a piece to build. Further extension is unlikely until faster trains come out as there are no more cities in the way until Los Angeles.
GlobalTrans, 19th Dec 1957#1.png
(242.51 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
3. Spanish Line

Madrid-Barcelona-Toulouse-Paris, although the Toulouse-Paris bit has not yet opened due to the lack of allowance to demolish necessary buildings; the Toulouse local authority hates GlobalTrans.
GlobalTrans, 19th Dec 1957#2.png
(306.23 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Madrid-Barcelona bit.

4. Eastern France Line

Rhine Ruhr-Luxembourg-Lyon-Marseille. Luxembourg and Lyon, at time of line opening, has populations of 99 and 426 respectively, meaning that the lines aren't yet too popular. Marseille had about 2000 people. 35 mp/h railbuses currently run on the line, however the infrastructure is there for full length trains.

In other news, GlobalTrans metro stock has been upgraded from the London Underground 1903 stock to the
M2 840 stock, originating from France AND all small airports have been upgraded to city ones.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

GlobalTrans, 1st Feb 1958.png
(277.91 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
St. Louis-Denver Region stretch of track, featuring a Forest and a lot of ChooChoo :P
GlobalTrans, 6th Feb 1958.png
(266.95 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
ChooChoo, copying the old AI since 1958.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Interesting thread!

Would you be interested in playing an online game sometime?
Who is John Galt?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Thanks, though this game is long abandoned - I might restart it once I get a decent computer (long to devote a core just to OTTD :)).

I'd love to join in a multiplayer game, but I'd need to know where, when and which version.

EDIT: Which reminds me - once there was this Franchise game using IS2, where one person built the tracks and others were designated sections where they could run services. Perhaps we should get some others and resurrect it?
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

which scenario are you using? and like the screenies, although there are some images that need a lot of help...
Check out some of my work
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

What sort of help are you suggesting? If you check the dates, this game is from a decade ago :P. This is Michael Blunck's World Map, which works only with the extra-large-maps-patch. As far I'm aware I was using cargodist as well.

Return to “Screenshots”