Wasila's Screenies - British Rail

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: GlobalTrans: The Dream that Came to Life

Post by bwong »

I really isn't the person to be talking... hehe
but anyways, there was one screenshot, which you had trains going up a hill, then having a sharp turn, followed by it going down a hill, and back up, with another sharp turn
Check out some of my work
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

You mean this one? Yeah, but I didn't really have a choice in the matter ;). A tunnel would have only meant a still tighter turn.

EDIT: I'm going to put up some screenies of my current game in the 'Random Screenshots' thread.
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

yeah... that one
Engineer Mars
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Engineer Mars »

Wasila, nice screenshots! May I suggest cargodist to make it more realistic.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I was, I believe, using CargoDist in that game. As said, this thread (and that game) is very old and long since abandoned. I want to get a new game going with a UK map when the scenario is improved (clicky), but Civ IV: Beyond the Sword is coming in the post and I expect that to occupy my free time for a while.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasila's Screenies

Post by Wasila »

I have been playing the UK game, and instead of creating a new topic I just recycled (renamed) this one.
British Transport, 27th Feb 1944.png
GRFs.

I am playing version 1.0 which is after industries were placed but before rivers. I am running a custom build which uses r19009 with CargoDist and signals in tunnels and on bridges.

In 1930, W.A. Hamilton founded British Transport. Since then, it has blossomed into a multi-million pound company with 60 trains, 103 RVs, 13 ships and a value of £10,000,000. Annual profit last year was £2,000,000.

--

Welcome to a tour of British Transport. We will be taking you from your home town of Dartford right through to the new station of Rugby, opened this year. We start by sea, going up the Thames.
British Transport, 27th Feb 1944#1.png
We arrive in the buzzing metropolis of London, which has expanded exponentially ever since services started.
British Transport, 2nd Mar 1944#1.png
Here, at London Transfer station, there are a number of ways to get to the rail network. You can take the tram, which does a circular route around the inside of the city, or you can take the metro. The metro trains are the longest in the world, with a capacity of 1,500 people, yet supply still does not meet demand. On the left you can see the iconic company headquarters, towering over the rest of the city.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

British Transport, 3rd Mar 1944#1.png
Our metro train is seen here, arriving at the hub of the network, London South-West. From here you can take the tram, the metro to the east of the city, or the railway. The trains heading south go to Crawley, where you can change for the south coast. The western line runs to Reading, with a junction which we will take to Luton.
British Transport, 4th Mar 1944.png
We arrive in Luton South, a rapidly growing rival to London, with almost as many trains and more mainline trains and destinations. Here we will take the train on the new northern lines, running past Bedford and Kettering, turning off before Leicester to head through Market Harborough and into the newest station of all, Rugby.
British Transport, 4th Mar 1944#1.png
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Are your trains driving on the right?

For shame Wasila!

:mrgreen:
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Hmm... I'm certain that I read somewhere that trains in the UK stuck to the right. Never mind, it makes copying junctions easier :P

Road traffic, on the other hands, sticks firmly to the left.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

A lot has happened in the few years since our tour:

A standardised grouping system has been introduced, making it far easier to regulate routes.
Stations have been renamed, predominantly London South-West which is now known as Euston.
Basic air travel has been introduced, with routes from the new London Heathrow to Crawley and Luton.
A new major terminus station has been built in London; Liverpool Street. It services Ipswich, from which you can go to Norwich.
Euston is now a full 9 platforms large!

Most importantly, a new line runs from Liverpool Street to Cambridge. It is the first ever electrical service, breaking current speeds by up to 20 mp/h.
British Transport, 18th Nov 1949.png
A shiny new terminus. The upper route goes to Cambridge, the lower to Ipswich. It is served by metro directly to Heathrow and Euston, visible just at the bottom of the screen. 25 trains go here.
British Transport, 18th Nov 1949#1.png
A marginally less shiny Euston. 35 trains (30% of all) and 72 RVs (58% of all) all visit this largely expanded station. You can see AdmiralAI with their airport here too.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

London South-West should be called Waterloo, not Euston.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

I'm thinking it's a mix of the two. Euston covers north west, and Waterloo south right?
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Well, after playing a few randomly generated maps and then getting bored with the above map (and then promptly losing the saves), I've returned to the World Map. Partly because I love connecting far-flung real life cities, and partly because I have a shiny new computer which should be able to cope now (at least for a little while longer). Perhaps a little unoriginally, this company is also called GlobalTrans (I just love the name!).

I am using ChillCore's patchpack with r20768.
GlobalTrans, 15th Nov 1962#1.png
GlobalTrans, 15th Nov 1962#1.png (236.91 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Rhein-Ruhr, once more the pride and joy of the network. The line running north is the equivalent to the Eas European Mainline (but only the northern path - to Kiev), the line running west is the West European Mainline (to Paris) and the line running south terminates at Naples.
GlobalTrans, 22nd Nov 1962.png
GlobalTrans, 22nd Nov 1962.png (517.24 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
A Royal Hudson emerging from a multi-million pound tunnel (£1.5 mil each) from Tel Aviv towards Ankara and then on to terminate at Istanbul.
GlobalTrans, 28th Nov 1962.png
GlobalTrans, 28th Nov 1962.png (138.5 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Istanbul International rail terminus. The train in the west is travelling north to Kiev, and the train waiting at the station (a week early than scheduled!) is due for Cairo.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

New network map up, I'll stick it on the OP too.

Yes, I made it in Paint :P
Attachments
GlobalTrans Network Map New.png
GlobalTrans Network Map New.png (16.82 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

With an £800,000 construction cost, and £300,000 spent on 10 high-speed train, the massive new branch stretching from Tel Aviv to Tehran (no, the irony has not been lost on me) is one of the most ambitious to date. It offers a direct line to the Iranian capital all the way from Istanbul, a momentous achievement.

On 29th August 1963, all ten trains were given the go-ahead to begin running the line.
GlobalTrans, 1st Sep 1963.png
GlobalTrans, 1st Sep 1963.png (122.26 KiB) Viewed 404 times
The train built in Istanbul prepares to embark on its epic journey.
GlobalTrans, 3rd Sep 1963.png
GlobalTrans, 3rd Sep 1963.png (109.07 KiB) Viewed 404 times
A shiny new trains leaves a shiny new station at Tehran...
GlobalTrans, 3rd Sep 1963#1.png
GlobalTrans, 3rd Sep 1963#1.png (139.92 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Two new trains call in at the junction city of Tel Aviv. The tunnel leads to the new route.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Just for comparison, Rhein-Ruhr but eight years ago. The line to Naples is under construction at this point.
GlobalTrans, 28th Jul 1952.png
GlobalTrans, 28th Jul 1952.png (144.52 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

J.D. Carpenter, owner of GlobalTrans, stumbled out of the imposing building, his eyes half closed as he slumped onto the car waiting for him outside. It was three A.M. according to his body clock, yet here in New Delhi it was before midnight. As he heaved himself into the car, he dreamed of his return to Europe. His company was well-established there. He was popular, and his tracks criss-crossed the continent. One day the same would apply to India. But not today. Angry crowds surrounded his car as his driver crawled out of the city and towards his hotel. Of course, they would all be using his trains when they finally arrived. For J.D. Carpenter, that day could not come soon enough.

It was 1966. GlobalTrans was still expanding inexorably eastwards, and its newest line would take the network from Tehran, right across the Indian subcontinent to Dacca. But many people weren’t happy. Many, as always, watched in dismay as houses were demolished and roads were dug up. One journalist at the meeting he had just held had asked him about rumours of bribing the local authorities. “I can clearly state that there have been no incidents of bribing in India[/b],” he had said, moving onto the next question before the journalist could figure out what he meant. Others at the meeting had demanded an explanation as to why the trains would pass the city’s rivals at Kolkata, but not stop at India’s capital as well. And when the entire line had been delayed for a year for it to be electrified after construction, the entire country was in uproar. Things were not going well. But finally it was settled. The first electric trains slid smoothly into stations across India to a mixture of jeers, catcalling and cheering.
GlobalTrans, 30th Apr 1966.png
(329.06 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
A train sliding smoothly through a new suspension bridge between Tehran and Karachi, passing through a forest planted to appease the environmentalists.
GlobalTrans, 5th May 1966.png
(347.19 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
A Shinkansen departs from Karachi.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasila's Screenies [UPDATE - NEW STYLE!]

Post by Wasila »

Apparently my screenies aren't doing as well as I hoped. What am I doing wrong? What can I improve? All suggestions would be appreciated :D.
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

nothing wrong. it's just that the choice of a suspension bridge in a wooded area is, PERSONALLY, a tad awkward. Why? because it's just like a bunch of steel cable and frame in a green area. But besides that I like it. if we could see a bit more of images i think it would be better :D
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Oh. I planted that forest there because I thought it would look better xD.

I'll update when I get some time.

Return to “Screenshots”