SwissFan91's European Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: SwissFan91's European Screenshots

Post by EXTspotter »

In terms of Freight only branches in this area there is a stub of the old Teign Valley line in Exeter which branches off after Exeter St Thomas station, there is the branch from Newton Abbot to Heathfield, which has logs carried from a station just south of the Teigngrace level crossing. There is the "Dartmoor Railway" which serves Meldon Quarry west of Okehampton with a branch to Crediton where it joins the Tarka line. In Cornwall there are a few which serve the china clay industries including Lostwithiel to Carne Point (near Fowey), from a China Clay mine near Luxulyan to Par Docks and from Parkandillack to a junction on the Cornish Main Line at Burngullow.

In terms of industries, the area North of Newton Abbot is filled with China Clay quarries and the area south with Sand/Aggregate quarries. Other than this, there aren't many large "industries" in the area, it is mainly farming, fishing and tourism. Newton Abbot itself has two largescale manufacturers: a large Yeo Valley food factory and Centrax, a company which produces parts for turbine englines (e.g. jet engines) and turns jet engines into power generators. I don't know how it would be classed, though.

Another industry I just thought of is a paper mill in the Exe valley north of Exeter near where the Exeter - London line meets the M5. Other industries which might not spring to mind straight away are the Gin Distillery in Plymouth, the Shipyard in Appledore, the Ginsters (Callington) and Ambrosia (Lifton) factories. As a side note, I find it funny how Ginsters advertises themselves as ridiculously Cornish, except that their main factory is only about 4 miles from the border with Devon, similarly Ambrosia's entire advertising campaign was "Only devon knows how it tastes so good" or something similar, however you could (and should) spit into Cornwall. the border is less than 1km from the factory. Maybe I'm just being a conspiracy theorist/need to get a life.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Here's the current progress.

Anyone feel free to suggest an A to B for me to screenshot.

N.B. Ran out of room to show Penzance on the map but it is there and connected!
Attachments
Network Rail, 17th Jul 1968.png
(54.58 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I really love the detail on this map. It is obvious how much time you have spent on it.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

It has taken a while! I just hope my laptop can handle it when the map gets crowded - it is a 4000x4000 map after all!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Oh! I just remembered you may need to add in a new station since it only opened during the summer. There is now a station at Greenway on the Paignton and Dartmouth line to serve Agatha Christie's estate. As a random irrelevant factoid, my mum grew up on a farm next to the estate, my grandad was Agatha Christie's milkman and my mum's best friend was the daughter of the estate gardener.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

EXTspotter wrote:Oh! I just remembered you may need to add in a new station since it only opened during the summer. There is now a station at Greenway on the Paignton and Dartmouth line to serve Agatha Christie's estate. As a random irrelevant factoid, my mum grew up on a farm next to the estate, my grandad was Agatha Christie's milkman and my mum's best friend was the daughter of the estate gardener.
That's fascinating. I'll have to add that in! :)
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

SwissFan91 wrote:It has taken a while! I just hope my laptop can handle it when the map gets crowded - it is a 4000x4000 map after all!
Where can I find it?
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

thphwh wrote:
SwissFan91 wrote:It has taken a while! I just hope my laptop can handle it when the map gets crowded - it is a 4000x4000 map after all!
Where can I find it?
It's just the South West UK heightmap stretched onto a 4000x4000 map. I've added the towns as I've gone along.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I'm back!

And would you believe, this map is still going! Here's the map so far:
Network Rail, 15th Jan 1985.png
(53.03 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
I have recently had to completely remodel the Exeter region as I realised I had put it in the wrong place! A similar thing happened to Yeovil. Castle Cary and points along that line are still in the wrong place so that will be my next task! The West of England mainline has just been finished but is yet have any trains put on it. Having never been on it myself, can anyone shed any light on how the actual trains are made-up? I gather SWT use 159s and 158s on it. Are they mostly 3-car, 6-car or a real mixture?

Also, here is the station list so far:
Network Rail, 17th Apr 1985.png
(74.96 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
so feel free to suggest anywhere to look at. Bear in mind that some places are just sidings that I haven't renamed (Yeovil Annexe, for example) so they are not much to look at nor are they real stations! Also, some are stations placed right on the edge of the map to make trains have the correct timetable (London Paddington, for example). These are clearly not in the confines of the map!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

West of England Mainline can be a mix, however the majority are 3 or 6 car. There is at least one down per day which is 5 as the 158 is on a day lease agreement to FGW, operating as part of a 5 car train, joining a 3-car FGW Paignton train at St Davids, going down to Paignton and back for the Torquay Grammar Schools service (which I used to take when it was a single 150/2 (proper wedged)). The 159 detatches again at Exeter, working up to Bristol and operating a couple of services there before working back down to Salisbury. Some of the services are also 158s, such as those which involve the peak Axminster services.

As for screenshots, just a variety would be nice...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

EXTspotter wrote:Lots of helpful stuff
Thanks! That was great, cheers.
Heritage Railways, 3rd Oct 2005.png
Heritage Railways, 3rd Oct 2005.png (149.48 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Here we have the town of Colyton. Here, the Seaton Tramway starts on the track bed of the old London & South Western Railway branch line to Seaton. The track bed on the left of the screen runs towards Seaton Junction, a disused station on the West of England Main Line.
Heritage Railways, 29th Oct 2005.png
Heritage Railways, 29th Oct 2005.png (139.38 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
At the other end of the tramway we have Seaton. Pity about the huge catenary on the tram tracks!
Network Rail, 18th Aug 2005.png
Network Rail, 18th Aug 2005.png (177.78 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Finally, something different. Exeter Central, complete with departure board showing the services I have implemented so far. A South West Trains service (yes, that's the best I could get their livery!) waits to depart for London Waterloo. Including a screenshot of the departure board really makes my story telling a lot shorter!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

SwissFan91 wrote:Pity about the huge catenary on the tram tracks!
Foobar made a thinner one, irrc ;)
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Invisibilize the catenary for the screenshot :wink:
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

The problem with this game is that I used a really old patchpack so I could have infrastructure sharing, bigger maps and more heightlevels. Therefore there are many more modern GRFs that can't be used which is a shame.

Still, invisiblising the catenary is a good idea!
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

A couple more from our South West trains route:
Crewkerne station complete with departure board and a train about to plunge into Crewkerne tunnel on its way to Exeter St Davids.
Crewkerne station complete with departure board and a train about to plunge into Crewkerne tunnel on its way to Exeter St Davids.
Network Rail, 30th Apr 2000.png (145.96 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Honiton station
Honiton station
Network Rail, 23rd Jun 2000.png (128.71 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Pinhoe station, as we begin to enter the build up area of Exeter.
Pinhoe station, as we begin to enter the build up area of Exeter.
Network Rail, 4th Jul 2000.png (158.71 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

The map is coming along nicely..
Network Rail, 27th Oct 1981.png
(54.05 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I've started another game similar to the above South West scenario - this time the Thames area. It is a 2048x2048 map of the south east:
Network Rail, 23rd Mar 2011.png
(74.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am using the Spring PP so departure boards and infrastructure sharing are proving useful. Progress is slow but HS1 is fully operational from St Pancras to Folkestone (and on to 'Paris').

Let me know if you'd like to see the progress of anywhere!
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

More progress:
Network Rail, 29th Nov 2000.png
(72.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Today we're going to take a trip along with Bluebell Railway:
Currently the terminus of the Bluebell Railway, the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) used to continue southwards towards Lewes. Here we board  4-6-2 No 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair pulling a summer service to East Grinstead.
Currently the terminus of the Bluebell Railway, the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) used to continue southwards towards Lewes. Here we board 4-6-2 No 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair pulling a summer service to East Grinstead.
Sheffield Park.png (218.49 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
First we reach Horsted Keynes. Originally a junction station (with a LB&SCR branch running south and west towards Haywards Heath) the station is now home to the Bluebell Railway's carriage and wagon department. Here we pass 4-6-0 No 73082 Camelot with a service back to Sheffield Park.
First we reach Horsted Keynes. Originally a junction station (with a LB&SCR branch running south and west towards Haywards Heath) the station is now home to the Bluebell Railway's carriage and wagon department. Here we pass 4-6-0 No 73082 Camelot with a service back to Sheffield Park.
Horsted Keynes.png (219.09 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
After the Sharpthorne Tunnel we pass the site of the original West Hoathly station. After closing in 1958 the site was used by contractors to bring in the equipment which demolished the line in the 1960s.
After the Sharpthorne Tunnel we pass the site of the original West Hoathly station. After closing in 1958 the site was used by contractors to bring in the equipment which demolished the line in the 1960s.
Sharpthorne.png (280 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

Return to “Screenshots”