Show us your network maps

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
JDCollie
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Show us your network maps

Post by JDCollie »

JGR wrote:Here's a network map from my current game. Whilst I've not finished the game, it's probably not going to change too dramatically from this.
I've been working on this on and off for a while now so thought I ought to get round to posting it.
That's a very nice map design you've got there; simple yet elegant. How'd you make it?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

JDCollie wrote:
JGR wrote:Here's a network map from my current game. Whilst I've not finished the game, it's probably not going to change too dramatically from this.
I've been working on this on and off for a while now so thought I ought to get round to posting it.
That's a very nice map design you've got there; simple yet elegant. How'd you make it?
Many thanks :3
I used MS Visio 2003.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
JDCollie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JDCollie »

JGR wrote: Many thanks :3
I used MS Visio 2003.
Huh, I've never heard of that until now. I'll have to check it out!
FUZxxl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FUZxxl »

Here is a map I made yesterday for a long running game where I restricted myself to passenger transportation.
Here is a PNG rendering of the SVG:

S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

What is that made with?
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
FUZxxl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FUZxxl »

S-Transport wrote:What is that made with?
A text-editor and a lot of patience. I drew a sketch of the map with pencil and recreated that drawing as an SVG by manually specifying all the coordinates.
jegerpizza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jegerpizza »

Here a little map over the passenger train services in one of my games. I used http://beno.org.uk/metromapcreator/# to make it Image

And i could not stop my self for posting Reading station.

Due to me building much. I done a new map.
Last edited by jegerpizza on 25 Nov 2014 12:48, edited 3 times in total.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

That's a cool tool actually. Very nice. I will give this one a go for my next project
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Logital82
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Logital82 »

This is the map from a german Multiplayergame.
Der_neue_Schienenatlas_v0.2.png
(684.1 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Ingamevideos from "Böblingen" and "Bad Brückenau" as big railnodes.

http://youtu.be/f4cIlZIuvOQ?list=UUVlJS ... qzBx-80D1Q

http://youtu.be/MLioXeo9krw?list=UUVlJS ... qzBx-80D1Q

Topic to this game (but in german)

http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=6407
Fry3k_#2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fry3k_#2 »

Network map from my current game

I used MS Visio for this one. It covers about one third of a 512x512 sized map, so there is still room for improvement and more lines :D

SztruksowyCzłowiek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SztruksowyCzłowiek »

I made a map of my network using, as you recommended, Dia. I also made another one using the Metro Map creator. It's a British Isles scenario beginning in 1935, and the maps show my network in January 1944
Attachments
STCsty1949.png
The Dia version. Red arrows are the London City Circle, while the green arrows are bus lines.
(310.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
STCsty1949mmc.png
The simpler version.
(34.43 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

The Irish wrote:That's a cool tool actually. Very nice. I will give this one a go for my next project
Its pretty nifty, although I found it gets a bit unwieldly when the map is larger/more complicated. I also ran into a problem exporting a whole high detail file, and thus had to stitch together a few lower detail files to create mine.
Attachments
network map.png
(792.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Chris wrote:
The Irish wrote:That's a cool tool actually. Very nice. I will give this one a go for my next project
Its pretty nifty, although I found it gets a bit unwieldly when the map is larger/more complicated. I also ran into a problem exporting a whole high detail file, and thus had to stitch together a few lower detail files to create mine.
Unless you've got multiple "Tring"s in the game, I suspect that map may be a little unrealistic...
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Pingaware wrote:Unless you've got multiple "Tring"s in the game, I suspect that map may be a little unrealistic...
Haha good spot, I think the one on the black line should be Rotherham. There's also Hastings Piccadillu and winchesster...
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
SztruksowyCzłowiek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SztruksowyCzłowiek »

A mashup of the Metro Map Creator (http://beno.org.uk/metromapcreator/#) and MS Paint (logo). Somehow, it looks quite good.
Attachments
STC mapa 1964.png
(719.87 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
This happens when you set the curves to 100.
This happens when you set the curves to 100.
MMC100.PNG (84.82 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
SNCF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SNCF »

Sorry to bump this thread from the dead but I have a question for the cartographers of the OTTD community:

What's the best way to scale things? I'm trying to map out one of the major metropolitan areas in my current game but the mix of regional and intercity trains mixed in with trams has really confused me.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

SNCF wrote:Sorry to bump this thread from the dead but I have a question for the cartographers of the OTTD community:

What's the best way to scale things? I'm trying to map out one of the major metropolitan areas in my current game but the mix of regional and intercity trains mixed in with trams has really confused me.
It's probably best not to try to make your map "to scale", it generally makes more sense to try to make it topologically representative. Don't be afraid to drastically expand complex areas to give you more room to make things look neat and uncluttered.
Also, you could use different colour or thickness of line to indicate local services/trams, and you could use a smaller font for the names of local tram stops.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
SNCF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SNCF »

JGR wrote:
SNCF wrote:Sorry to bump this thread from the dead but I have a question for the cartographers of the OTTD community:

It's probably best not to try to make your map "to scale", it generally makes more sense to try to make it topologically representative. Don't be afraid to drastically expand complex areas to give you more room to make things look neat and uncluttered.
Also, you could use different colour or thickness of line to indicate local services/trams, and you could use a smaller font for the names of local tram stops.
Thanks for the tips!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Okay, so, here is my a network map from my most recent game. It's a German Game, and this is the S-Bahn Network for the City of Northeim. The Map itself is in a combination of both German and English. (Please excuse the German, I'm not sure as to how good it is, I used Google Translate! :lol: )
Attachments
Northeim S-Bahn.png
(341.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

Very nice! And the German sentences correctly: „Alle grauen Linien und Bahnhöfe dienen nur dem Regional- und Intercity-Verkehr der Deutschen Bahn“ and „ICE-Züge zurzeit an diesem Bahnhof ausgesetzt“. „Bauarbeiten im Gange“ is correct German, but „im Bau“ would normally be used, I think.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures

Return to “Screenshots”