Screenshot Contest - Discussion (Read first post!)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Re: Screen Capture Contest 2007! [Results!]

Post by Raichase »

Ben_K wrote:Hence, I fail to see why you can justify anyone nominating themselves.
I haven't posted a screenshot for ages. Assuming people think "hey, I should go FIND Raichases thread and pick one of his screenies", then perhaps. I don't like my chances, simply because - out of sight out of mind. I imagine a lot of nominations should be falling for (in my mind) the people who are active, and posting good shot. Ameecher/Badger both immediately spring to mind, because their topics are active.

Besides, if someone is "arrogant enough" to nominate themselves, good for them. Doesn't mean they win anything, just gives them a chance to enter. If it is crap, and nobody nominated if for that reason, the poll will reflect that.

I just fail to see how people nominating their own shots is negative. Sure, they would be better nominating someone else, but it's their nomination choice...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Maybe some people feel that they have such a good screenshot that they should nominate it. Not everyone who is voting will have nominated a screenshot so maybe some other people also like the screenshot and will vote for it while they didn't nominate it. It also generates some extra competition between all the screenshots.
I don't think it has anything to do with arrogancy, some people could also just like to participate in the competition, and they give themselves the chance to do so by nominating themselves. If there's only 5 people nominating with more than 5 screenshots threads active then there is a chance that one of your shots isn't getting nominated, and that is where you kick in to nominate yourself so you enter the competition too. The competition is not about winning like in national championships, it's for fun. If you wish to exclude people from that fun than you should be ashamed of yourself.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Raichase wrote:...Assuming people think "hey, I should go FIND Raichases thread and pick one of his screenies", then perhaps....
Well, the first thing I did, when Ameecher mentioned it, is go straight to those who I knew make good shots. Some recent but the ones that I remember the strongest are from a long while ago, like 2-10-0, mtwist, Raichase etc. Thats why I think that those screenies deserve it more than self nomination. The screenies that I nominate are stuck in my mind as being good and deserve that praise, even for being nominated. Hell, if mine were nominated Id be very happy - I wouldnt need to win.
Raichase wrote:I just fail to see how people nominating their own shots is negative. Sure, they would be better nominating someone else, but it's their nomination choice...
Well, Id argue that potentially people can 'make' a screenshot. Although aesthetically pleasing, its not as impressive as just having a shot from a good game. Thats how Id like to see it reflected - not something that anyone can do with a bit of false engineering.
XeryusTC wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with arrogancy... ...they give themselves the chance to do so by nominating themselves.
Well, surely that is arrogance. The way I see it, if I dont get nominated, my screenies aren't good enough to stick in peoples minds. Fair enough. Which leads to...
XeryusTC wrote:The competition is not about winning like in national championships, it's for fun. If you wish to exclude people from that fun than you should be ashamed of yourself.
Fun? What? Thats why we have screen shots threads of our own. I post my screenies for everyone to enjoy. If I end up getting a commendation for one, thats great, but thats not why I post it. If you want to do something for fun, then post in your thread and let people enjoy looking at it.
Exclude people? I obviously don't exclude people form my fun as I have a screenshot thread that I use. The difference is that I post my screenshots for other people to enjoy and not purely to win competitions.
Hence why I am not in the slightest ashamed of myself.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Screenshot Contest - Discussion (Read first post!)

Post by Ameecher »

I'm going to say this for the third time now.

So far no one has nominated their own screenshot so the matter is irrlevant

Can we just get on with nominating shots now, please?
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Ameecher wrote:So far no one has nominated their own screenshot so the matter is irrlevant
Its not irrelevant or I wouldnt have raised it Ameecher. Its a point that could be abused and is unnecessary.
Hey, at the end of the day, whatever makes you guys feel better about yourselves. :roll:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Ben_K wrote:
Ameecher wrote:So far no one has nominated their own screenshot so the matter is irrlevant
Its not irrelevant or I wouldnt have raised it Ameecher. Its a point that could be abused and is unnecessary.
Hey, at the end of the day, whatever makes you guys feel better about yourselves. :roll:
It is irrelevant at the moment because no one has abused it. It's not a matter about feeling good about ourselves. When some one does "abuse" it I will look into it. So far no one has so I'm not going to do anything about it.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Ben_K wrote:
I think perhaps you're taking it a bit seriously... If it poses a problem, I'm sure Ameecher will fix it. Until then, making comments like that is very much against the spirit of the contest. It's just rude. Please, state your opinion, but if the organizer disagrees, posting comments like the above is uncalled for.

The contest is a bit of fun, not something to get so excited and annoyed about...

Thankyou.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club

Return to “Screenshots”