Screenshot Contest - Discussion (Read first post!)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Re: Screen Capture Contest 2007! [Results!]

Post by Raichase »

I've edited the original post to point people towards the new topic, as well as to ask that all feedback about the contest be placed here to keep the main thread clean. Thanks!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Question - Is it only one nomination per user? ie could I nominate 2 screenshots?
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Hmmm, I'd say only one nomination per user. You've got to pick your favourite.

edit: If you read the rules badger, you'd see that it says only 1 nominate per user is permitted ;)
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

*quickly reads rules again*

*notices answer to question* :oops:

*also notices typo* :wink:
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

All right smart arse. Fixed the mispelling of received, unless there are any others that I missed...
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

I think people should be given more than one vote. Last time, many good screenshots didn't even get a single vote, because people were basically given a boolean choice. What I'm proposing is that people should still be able to vote on screenshots that didn't 'make the cut', by introducing a points system: 3 points for the one you think should win, 2 points for the one you really like, and 1 point for another one you like but that isn't as good as the other two. This way, all screenshots have a decent chance of being voted on.

Finally, it goes without saying that all participants must vote if their entry is to be legitimate. It's unsportly to withhold your vote in order to sabotage another person's chance of success, and it will bring in a whole lot more votes too. The idea of the competition is to encourage and look at good screenshots, and provide some sort of feedback for them through voting.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

White Rabbit wrote:I think people should be given more than one vote. Last time, many good screenshots didn't even get a single vote, because people were basically given a boolean choice. What I'm proposing is that people should still be able to vote on screenshots that didn't 'make the cut', by introducing a points system: 3 points for the one you think should win, 2 points for the one you really like, and 1 point for another one you like but that isn't as good as the other two. This way, all screenshots have a decent chance of being voted on.

Finally, it goes without saying that all participants must vote if their entry is to be legitimate. It's unsportly to withhold your vote in order to sabotage another person's chance of success, and it will bring in a whole lot more votes too. The idea of the competition is to encourage and look at good screenshots, and provide some sort of feedback for them through voting.
One vote is working well for the Photo of the Month contest...

Yes, there are many good screenies on display, but isn't that the point of the contest? If one asks the question "why didn't good screenies get the vote?", it's because better screenies did.

Granted, I'm not running the thing, I'm just editing topics and whatnot to help it go smoothly, but I'm against it.

I do agree with the "if you nominate you must vote", but if nominated, you shouldn't have to vote, because what if the nominee can't be on the forums? I know there have been times where I've been away for weeks on end, and if someone nominated me, and I got a lot of votes, but I couldn't vote because I wasn't HERE, it'd be a bit unfair.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Raichase wrote: Yes, there are many good screenies on display, but isn't that the point of the contest? If one asks the question "why didn't good screenies get the vote?", it's because better screenies did.
No, that's no the point. I don't think it's very beneficial to have the majority of screenshots left without any form of feedback whatsoever. With my system, the question becomes 'why didn't good screenies get a higher score?', and the answer would be 'because there were better ones'. The points system will maximize the feedback, so people will know where their screenshots stand, instead of a simple boolean VOTED/NOT VOTED. This will not change the fact that better screenshots will be voted ahead of worse ones.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

We'll see how it goes this month and if after that people think it should still be changed, I'll have a look into it.

So far there have been 3 nominations for this months competition. I'd like to see a good few more than that for some healthy competition ;)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Ameecher wrote:So far there have been 3 nominations for this months competition. I'd like to see a good few more than that for some healthy competition ;)
I didnt know it had started. Where can I find a decent starter post with all the necessary rukes? I must say, this thread is a bit of a mess - Id have agreed with your new start one. :?

I'll see if I have a worthwhile one. Am I right in thinking we can use older ones for this months one?
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pug »

Psst Ben, don't tell anyone but there is a sticky at the top of this subforum. Good luck and select a good one.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pug wrote:Psst Ben, don't tell anyone but there is a sticky at the top of this subforum. Good luck and select a good one.
What he said :P

Thank you Pug ;)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Doh!!!!!! :roll:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Sorry Ben, my bad. Ameecher was right - nobody sees the stickies :tongue:

Blame that handsome Raichase chap, wouldya?

;)
ImageImage
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Ah, don't worry about it... :) We all know now!

Anywho, Im not happy that people can nominate their own screenshots. That seems very wrong. Surely if their shots are good enough, they'll get nominated. I know if I see a great shot from now on, I'll nominate it. Simple. I would NEVER have the arrogance to nominate my own shots - its just not cricket!

I request a review of that rule.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I spoke to you last night about this Ben and I see no problem with it at the moment. No one has nominated their own screenshots so it's fairly irrelevant. If it becomes the case where contestants continually nominate their own shot then I shall have a look at it then. Give this thing a chance eh?
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Ben_K wrote:Ah, don't worry about it... :) We all know now!

Anywho, Im not happy that people can nominate their own screenshots. That seems very wrong. Surely if their shots are good enough, they'll get nominated. I know if I see a great shot from now on, I'll nominate it. Simple. I would NEVER have the arrogance to nominate my own shots - its just not cricket!

But then again it's not fair that not everybody can participate. There are thousands of screenshots, hosted here and on the harddrives of others. If you don't post screenshots regularly or don't have a screenshot thread, the chance of your screenshot getting nominated is basically 0. If you can nominate yourself, everybody should be happy.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

White Rabbit wrote:But then again it's not fair that not everybody can participate. There are thousands of screenshots, hosted here and on the harddrives of others. If you don't post screenshots regularly or don't have a screenshot thread, the chance of your screenshot getting nominated is basically 0. If you can nominate yourself, everybody should be happy.
That was the general thinking behind the rule. So far no one has nominated their own shot so it is irrelevant anyway :)
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

White Rabbit wrote:
Ben_K wrote: Anywho, Im not happy that people can nominate their own screenshots. That seems very wrong. Surely if their shots are good enough, they'll get nominated. I know if I see a great shot from now on, I'll nominate it. Simple. I would NEVER have the arrogance to nominate my own shots - its just not cricket!
But then again it's not fair that not everybody can participate. There are thousands of screenshots, hosted here and on the harddrives of others. If you don't post screenshots regularly or don't have a screenshot thread, the chance of your screenshot getting nominated is basically 0. If you can nominate yourself, everybody should be happy.
Or you could just post your screenshots?
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Exactly what Badger said. My thoughts are:

-If you dont post a screenshot anywhere, it cant be entered, because no-one knows about it.
-If you can be arrogant enough to nominate yourself, that effort could have been used to post it for everyone to enjoy rather than to gain yourself a pat on the back (Should you be so desperate to need one).
-If you do post the screenshot without any thought for the competition, and it is good enough, then it WILL get nominated, because I for one will nominate any that I see as being excellent shots. Im sure all the people who regulary contribute will agree (Ameecher, Badger, Raichase, Two5kidd and many more...)
-The ONLY reason I can see that someone would want to nominate their own shot is because they think it isnt good enough to get nominated by someone else. Well, if thats the case, then there is a reason it isnt nominated! :roll:

Hence, I fail to see why you can justify anyone nominating themselves.

Well, I know at the end of the day it doesnt affect me that much, I just think its something that is unnecessary and could 'potentially' cause issues in the future. Why not just avoid it to start with. There really is no reason for someone to need to nominate themselves! :?
Ahhhh well. Maybe Its just too logical. I should go and have a beer. :mrgreen:

Return to “Screenshots”