{TTDP} Wallyweb Productions

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Wallyweb Productions *The Nars Valley Project*

Post by wallyweb »

Our first step was to prepare a survey of the industrial/resource/geographical assets of each community. There were three towns and six villages. The towns were set up as commercial and industrial centers. The villages were mostly natural resource centers.

Each town had common industries and businesses ... A town square, a bank, a stock exchange, an engineering yard, a fuel depot, a power plant, a hospital and a cathedral. Additionally, Winterlude, located on a high wintery plain to the North, had a sawmill to service the local forestry industry. Midville, located in a valley at the center of the island, had a brewery and a steel mill. Summerville, in the summery snow free South, had a factory and a food plant.

The villages, being somewhat smaller, were not so well blessed, having only the occasional hospital. Riverton is located about halfway down the valley between Winterlude and Midville. It services a couple of gravel quarries and iron ore mines. South Falls, further down the valley and between Midville and Summerville, is similarly blessed. To the West we have Lakeville with clay and gravel and a small brickworks, and we have Westport with access to large reservoirs of oil, both at sea and on land. To the East we found Plainston located at the end of a large fertile plain and surrounded by several farms. We also found Eastport, the apparent poor cousin of the lot, with no obvious industries or resources but it had an idylic location among lakes and primordial forests. To the Northeast of the island, between Winterlude and Lakeville, we found the badlands, a very rough terrain rich in coal deposits.

Geographically, the Isle of Nars was roughly diamond shaped whose points alligned with the cardinal points, with elevations being higher in the North and lower in the South. The island was bisected by a deep rift valley running North to South. The Nars river flowed down this valley, from Lake Winterlude, around the periphery of Midville Valley, exiting to the sea near Summerville. There were several other lakes and rivers scattered about the island. The rivers tended to drop to the sea over series of waterfalls and rapids, the most spectacular of which was Midville Falls to the West of Midville. It was easy to see why the citizens were so jealous of their environment.
Attachments
The Isle of Nars
The Isle of Nars
Map.png (34.5 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
North Nars Valley
North Nars Valley
N_Nars_Valley.png (140.04 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
South Nars Valley
South Nars Valley
S_Nars_Valley.png (138.71 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:30, edited 3 times in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

As mentioned previously the bulk of the population resided in three towns, the commercial centers of Summerville, Midville and Winterlude. The rest of the population was scattered in six small villages. All of the communities were connected by a rather extensive road system.
Attachments
Winterlude
Winterlude
Winterlude.png (113.25 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
Midville
Midville
Midville.png (116.29 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Summerville
Summerville
Summerville.png (108.93 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:32, edited 2 times in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Having reached an accord with the Local Authorities, we established The Nars Valley Project (NVP), under the directorship of Wal E. Web, president. NVP was provided with a start up loan of $200,000 with access to another $800,000 in financing which would be increased in proportion to the growth in net worth of the project. NVP was charged with developing a modern transportation system to efficiently service the resources, industries and commerce from a headquarters located near the Town of Eastport, all the while preserving as much as possible, the unique geographical features of the island.
Attachments
Our Headquarters
Our Headquarters
Company.png (108.64 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:33, edited 2 times in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

INTERMISSION

[subliminal messages]I am hungry and thirsty I am hungry and thirsty I am hungry and thirsty[/subliminal messages]

Why not visit our commissary conveniently located in your refrigerator?

Our feature will continue shortly.
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Re: {TTDP} Wallyweb Productions *The Nars Valley Project*

Post by Pug »

Seems like a nice map to start off with. I always liked your stories with the pipelines, and this new story is no exception. Especially the shot of the arrival on the Isle of Nars is cleverly done. Kudos to you.

I didn't know the rivers were finished already, but they look good. Although some riverbanks wouldn't go amiss.

Good to luck playing the map and let's see show more screenshots please.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Pug wrote:Good to luck playing the map and let's see show more screenshots please.
Thank you. I'm currently on the studio's backlot kicking butt. Something about a starlet who won't come out of her trailer unless we feed her pet Komodo dragons.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Goodness me, I feel really hungry and thirsty after reading this thread...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ben_K wrote:Goodness me, I feel really hungry and thirsty after reading this thread...
Be sure to restock your refrigerator in preparation for the next intermission ... and there will be several more, after all, it is a full length feature. :wink:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

grf configuration file revision

Post by wallyweb »

For those of you who have downloaded narsvalgrfw.cfg - a newgrf configuration, it has been revised. Please redo your download and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Looking nice Wally, this reminds me that I ought to finish the riverbanks I started drawing, I drew the rapids just never did the level waterways. I also need to work out how to code it, as I've managed the rapids by recycling code but the level waterways are a whole new mystery to me, anyway, I digress.

Look forward to the next installment :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ameecher wrote:...I also need to work out how to code it, as I've managed the rapids by recycling code but the level waterways are a whole new mystery to me ...
eis_os is your man :wink:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Please return to your seats!

The commissary is closed and we are about to continue with our presentation.

/lights dimming - curtain opening
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Mr.Web decided that the project should be organized into Phases to be determined as the project proceeded.

Phase 1 was to provide local bus service within the three towns. At the same time the towns' rail stations would be built in preparation for eventual passenger service. Station services would also be provided to the six villages. Eastport Station would include a small spaceport to receive our spacelaunches.

Anticipated traffic loads and environmental considerations led us to specify that town rail station platforms should be 6 tiles long and village rail platforms should be 3 or 4 tiles long. Industrial rail platforms would range between 3 and 6 tiles long.

* Technical Note: On Temperate the basic unit of measurement is the pixel. A tile is a diamond shape, 16 pixels to the side. Area is measured in "tiles". Distance is measured in "tiles long". Elevation is measured in "tiles high". Don't ask. We couldn't figure out why they did it that way either.
Attachments
Winterlude Stations
Winterlude Stations
Winterlude_Stations.png (115.83 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
Midville Stations
Midville Stations
Midville_Stations.png (124.05 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Summerville Stations
Summerville Stations
Summerville_Stations.png (105.05 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

As an ongoing source of income would be necessary to finance the project, it was decided to proceed with Phase 2 before tackling the village stations.

As Winterlude required energy for winter heating, Phase 2 was to provide coal to the local power plant and wood to the local sawmill which would cut it into firewood for the citizens' stoves.

Engine shops were set up near Winterlude.

The coal service was established from Colliery #1 (estimated reserves 80,000 tons) with a 2-8-0 Consolidation hauling thirteen 2-bay hoppers and 286 tons per trip.

The wood service was established from Forest #1 using trucks to transport wood to the sawmill. The goods were then transported by train, an 0-6-0 Switcher hauling 110 tons of firewood in five 40 foot boxcars, into Winterlude.
Attachments
Winterlude Engine Shops
Winterlude Engine Shops
Winterlude_Engine_Shops.png (121.11 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Coal Service
Coal Service
Winterlude_coal.png (131.95 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
Wood Service
Wood Service
Winterlude_wood.png (119.24 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:36, edited 2 times in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Phase 3 was the completion of the building of stations in the villages.

First the two valley stations, South Falls and Riverton.
Attachments
South Falls Station
South Falls Station
South_Falls_Station.png (134.99 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
Riverton Station
Riverton Station
Riverton_Station.png (156.91 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

... followed by the two western stations, Lakeville and Westport. Due to tight financing, we decided to delay the construction of the Westport station for a few months in order to accumulate working capital. On a side note, we found it necessary, due to good productivity at the Winterlude Sawmill, to add another boxcar to the Winterlude firewood service.
Attachments
Lakeville Station
Lakeville Station
Lakeville_Station.png (129.67 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Westport Station
Westport Station
Westport_Station.png (112.35 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

And finally the two eastern stations, Plainston and Eastport. Once more, due to tight financing, we had to pause construction in order to build up working capital. The rugged terrain of the Isle of Nars was proving to be a bit of a challenge, and this was just the station phase.

Due to the costs involved, it was decided to continue using a field to land the spacelaunch. The spaceport would be added when finances were more favourable.
Attachments
Plainston Station
Plainston Station
Plainston_Station.png (138.03 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Eastport Station
Eastport Station
Eastport_Station.png (133.2 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

INTERMISSION

[subliminal messages]I am hungry and thirsty I am hungry and thirsty I am hungry and thirsty[/subliminal messages]

Why not visit our commissary conveniently located in your refrigerator?

Our feature will continue shortly.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Please return to your seats!

The commissary is closed and we are about to continue with our presentation.
In consideration of the other viewers and the guy in the projector room, please observe the NO_SMOKING sign and please REFRAIN_FROM _POSTING_NEW_MESSAGES until the next intermission.

Thank you,

The management

/lights dimming - curtain opening
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

An urgent need to increase revenues combined with the desire of the citizens of Midville to increase their local power production, it was decided that Phase 4 would be to bring coal to Midville.

Colliery #6 was quite close to Midville, however it only had an estimated 40,000 tons of reserves. It was decided that this would be sufficient and that this Phase should go forward. A station was built at the Midville Power Plant such that the coal train's route would pass through Midville Station and then across the Nars river followed by a long grade up to the mine. Service was initiated with a 2-8-2 Mikado pulling ten 2-bay hoppers for 220 tons per trip.
Attachments
Colliery #6 and coal train
Colliery #6 and coal train
Colliery_6.png (154.37 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Midville Power Station and Midville Engine Shops
Midville Power Station and Midville Engine Shops
Midville_Power.png (158.69 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 08 Oct 2007 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Screenshots”