[OTTD] Two5Kid's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Two5Kid's Screenshots

Post by audigex »

Very nice thread, I've been following it for a wee while but haven't taken the chance to post.

I like the well thought out shots and the unusual "storyline" model aspect, keep up the good work :-)
Jon
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Sorry for the delays. Audigex, hope you and the rest could get the BROS ready for more model trains exploits!

Having finished the previous successful Camelot Junction, I was ready for a different challenge. Despite having had a decent layout, it was a chore to run it on my own, as with Camelot Junction, most trains ran on a set timetable allowing me to fiddle around. But a few neighbours of mine got wind of my layout and are eager to have a go at it - together. None of them had any experience, so I was to draw and configure everything whilst they helped out with the nitty gritty like glueing and sawing

Space was not an issue, one of them had quite a spacious garage and he had just sold off his car to fund this project. It'll be called Didcot and it's a circular layout, 'O' layout, with trains running either clockwise or anticlockwise around the tracks. To make things official, we set up our neighbourhood's and most probably our county's first model railroad club!

Here are a few set of teasers!
[Mainline Freight]
[Mainline Freight]
Didcot1.png (260.02 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
This is the freight mainline, at least 10 trains of various lengths traverse this region, and the operator would have to make sure that each train gets to where it's going smoothly or a massive jam would be the disastrous outcome. It's a modeller's licence to have trains from every era running around my layout. Remember, I've to deal with a bunch of newcomers with various tastes.
[Passengers]
[Passengers]
Didcot2.png (320.03 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Depending on the number of operators for the layout, the passenger services could either be run independently with a timetable or that it could be user controlled, most of the time it's operated independently. Sort of a welcoming distraction to the slow and lumbering freight services.
[Lumber]
[Lumber]
Didcot3.png (178.8 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
One of the various freight services scattered around the layout. This lumber/wood/goods service is part of the whole operations, getting it set up nicely is a headache, you need the wood train to arrive first before the lumber service can depart. Hours of fun!
Any dream worth having,
Is a dream worth fighting for!
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Back to the basics, the Didcot layout as mentioned earlier is in the shape of an O. It's made up of two levels, the lower layer would be mainly for freight services (stay tuned for the Scenic Train), whereas the upper level are for passenger services between 5 towns located at each end of the layout. The scenery and background details were all eagerly addressed by my newfound buddies, whilst I had the more mundane job of wiring and ballasting the tracks to make sure everything works.
[Metro-Cammell DMUs]
[Metro-Cammell DMUs]
Didcot4.png (347.41 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
These small beauties helped out the smaller towns on the West arm of the layout, traversing between Knutsford, Leicester and Kidderminster. The names of the towns were chosen not for their geographical significance but is actually the hometowns of the 'railroad operators'. Here we have all 3 DMUs almost in line at Leicester Station. Black was chosen as the company colours because it's neutral. We had an hour's debate on it and in the end settled for neutral black.
[Didcot]
[Didcot]
Didcot5.png (322.1 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
This is a short advertisement for Irwe's Swedish Houses, it looks great blending in with TTRS!
[Diesel/Steam]
[Diesel/Steam]
Didcot6.png (322.84 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
See? Both of them can coexist together on a model railroad line! At the lower right hand corner of the 'O', is a tunnelled section leading to the fiddling yard and part of a smaller project I'm working on for beginners to the clubhouse. Oh yes, the guy who lent us the garage? He's the new President of the Modellers Club and we're anticipating an increase in membership. Stay tuned for what's installed for this side area.
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Scenic Train Ride

The Scenic Train Ride is a chartered 2-6-4 steam engine with 3 coaches, named Wisteria Lane, used for the purposes of trainspotting and a trackside view of the freight services all around the layout. Here we follow its journey through the layout and maybe, we'll point out a few areas for snapping some good photos.
[The Start]
[The Start]
Didcot7.png (309.7 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Wisteria Lane leaves the passenger mainline just outside of Rayleigh via Cannock Junction and traverse through the busy Rayleigh Factory. It's a priority train which forces the Class 20 grain service to give way and so did the Class 25 Sulzer waiting at Rayleigh Factory. The Scenic Train is a major hurdle for any operator working the freightlines because of its Priority Status. Priority means all trains have to give way and we will deduct some points if the rule is broken. But by letting the train pass, you'll be wasting time since its top speed is just 104kmh.
[The first curve]
[The first curve]
Didcot8.png (258.93 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
Disappearing into the first curved tunnel, all the 4 corners of the layout are hills and I built the curve into the hills, trains go in at one end and appear out in the other, so that each operator would have a surprise at what the next train would be, coming out of the tunnels. Here the Scenic Train meets up with the coalmine and it can have 2 choices here, go below the tunnels to emerge at the next corner or to head left to enjoy a view of Didcot and Didcot Sawmill.
[Entering the 2nd curve]
[Entering the 2nd curve]
Didcot9.png (246.92 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Another round of trainspotting here, a parked Class 16 is awaiting its load. In a normal game, all loading times are randomised with a throw of the dice. I've worked out a chart and with the help of a 20-sided die, all outcomes are determined by fate. Haha! Today the Scenic Train is unlucky, as the operator for the North end corner failed to get its goods train into Didcot on time, resulting in a penalty and no trainspotting for Wisteria Lane.
Any dream worth having,
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Liking it so far, Two5Kid!
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

@Pingaware: Thanks!
[Goods at North End]
[Goods at North End]
Didcot10.png (282.74 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Continuing its journey, Wisteria Lane finally met the delayed goods train just outside the junction where it will rejoin the passenger mainlines. Plenty of industries on this map as you can see, another iron ore station.
[Knutsford]
[Knutsford]
Didcot11.png (407.92 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Arriving at Knutsford. Here the train stops for some leg exercise, it's a 30 minute halt for the passengers to have a look-see around the train station before the return leg journey. Tada! Another industry -- farm produce!
[Meeting a 'Merchant Navy']
[Meeting a 'Merchant Navy']
Didcot12.png (354.46 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Here's on the final leg of the home straight as Wisteria Lane passes another chartered steamer, a restored 'Merchant Navy' which has yet to be named. Guess what, what's the hidden industry here?

Unfortunately, the new model railroad club in my neighbourhood unanimously decided to bar me from attending any future function as they found out that I was hogging to much of the limelight, locals were amazed at the model railroad we have here but it seems that I've attracted unwanted attention, and this has caused some jealousy among the guys. So no more photos of this layout but I'll be back with another bigger and better layout, using the CanSet! Wait and see!
Any dream worth having,
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Wonderful screenshots once again. I await the larger layout with the CanSet.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Hi
I love your screenies, I most enjoy reading the bsck stories, they make it much more interesting than just plain screenshots. I get a much better idea of what's going on.
I want to know, how do you get the CanSet to work in Dynamic Engine Pool? It says on the canset thread that OzTransLtd made it incompatible but i like to play with several trainsets (my current game has 15 separate train grf's)

Thanks

(edit) Also, how do you get the trains to stop in the middle of the platform instead of gong all the way to the end?
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

@Niteowl: I'm also very excited about my next model railroad project!

@Emperor Jake: I'm not sure in which game did I use a mixture of the CanSet with other trainsets, but my version 0.3d is compatible with other sets, as far as I know. I don't really use a lot of their trains, I just prefer their freight cars and the nice-looking depot. As for making trains stop right in the middle, it's part of a patch.
Any dream worth having,
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I thought the latest Canadian Trains was still 0.2j? That's the only one I can find.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

No, I have the 0.3d too.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Possible for a link to where it's downloadable then? The CanTrains site still says 0.2j, as does GRFCrawler.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Got it from some version of OTTDCoop's GRFpack.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Found it, thanks.
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

@Gremnon & Bennythen00b: Better keep it down. Haha! The CanSet fellas won't be too pleased about it, my copy is from the time when the released it only to take it down because of some compatibility issues or something. But I got to it first and maybe a couple of oldtimers on this forum did too. It's an impressive set actually don't see why they have to take it down. But they are the artists and coders, so I guess they have the final say.
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

I went through a couple of model railroad magazines and found out that for the British people, they tend to focus on small to and from layouts whereas their American counterparts are interested in huge layouts with loops and sometimes canyons and hills. With all that research, I came across a much-mentioned (American mags) layout known as the Virginian & Ohio by Allen McClelland, which has been discontinued. Somehow or another, I got my hands on the layout of this Virginian & Ohio, so without further ado, here is the teaser for my next grand project.

As you all know very well, I was kicked out off my local model railroad club which I had a hand in, but instead of going after them angrily, I focused on getting a new and bigger layout which would involve more people as operators and who knows, it might lead to another club being formed. :twisted:

Virginian & Ohio Remix by Two5Kid
[The Map]
[The Map]
Virginian&Ohio1.png (48.62 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
This is the bird's eyeview of my Virginian & Ohio layout. I'll be using the CanSet rather than NARS as I prefer the colour scheme of the CanSet much better than the 2cc version. The original Virginian & Ohio is in blue and white livery, mine would most probably be the red, black and white of CN. Virginian & Ohio is a fictitious company operating deep in the Appalachian mountain region, along the borders of Virginia and Ohio, hence the name - V&O.

The 256 x 256 (43 x 54 feet) layout is bi-directional and encompasses freight with passenger services. It uses walk-around control meaning that the train crews are able to follow their trains all along the line, which involves a fair bit of walking. Layout height is around 45", although certain areas to the south are around 63", due to the mountainous region. I use Peco 100 tracks and DCC to control the trains. Some of the areas are single-tracked which is a first for any of my layouts.
[Company Logo]
[Company Logo]
vo.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
This is the simple V&O decal which I intend to use on all the trains working this layout. It'll be set in the 1970-80s period and I hope to get the correct engines and locomotives for the job. I've invested a lot in this layout which I hope would bring me countless of fun and joy while running the V&O trains. Please be aware that certain pictures might have incomplete features which I would refine in stages. It's all freelancing from here onwards!
Any dream worth having,
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Finally some more CanSet action! :mrgreen:
Will be looking forward to see some pictures from your progress on this layout.

Oh, and one thing: Is it possible to go "inside" the network, or do you have to walk around the whole thing?
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

@bennythen00b: Yes, you can walk inside. Actually all the blue areas are walkable except for the small patches of blue which are actually rivers and creeks on the layout. Actually it's planned to be an 'inside' layout rather than a view from the outside of the layout.

Marlington
[Marlington]
[Marlington]
Virginian&Ohio2.png (264.61 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Back in the 1940s, Marlington was practically a coal mining town, with the Greenbrier River as the mode of transport. The Appalachians are famous for its high quality and coal and Marlington was at the forefront of the coal industry. However, the long winter periods and shallow riverbed made transporting coal a bit harder, till V&O took over and started a coal service using trains. Once the coal train service was in place, the river coal barges stopped, which is why you see a partially dilapidated Marlington Docks at the bottom of the picture.

At this very moment, there's no passenger service yet but the Marlington Station is undergoing some repairs for a daily service to South Marlington. It'll be up and running soon. Ballasting the tracks here is slightly tougher since I need to age the area a bit, there are less train runs at Marlington, meaning the tracks aren't supposed to be shiny from overuse.
[Marlington Coal Mine]
[Marlington Coal Mine]
Virginian&Ohio3.png (242.22 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Chronologically, this is the oldest mine on the Virginian & Ohio layout. It produces Grade A coal which gives off more power and produces less ash. Highly sought after coal and it's now in the hands of the V&O. That's the Greenbrier River which use to have coal barges coming and going, now it's being replaced by the coal train you see in the picture here. It's painted in the company colours of the V&O, a sooty looking C424 engine.

As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to name everything on the layout, be it partially built or even if the oil refinery is represented by a can of Pennzoil, name the refinery and the town it's located. This would give the train crews a sense of belonging, they are no longer transporting coal from 'here' to 'there' but they are transporting between actual destinations.
Any dream worth having,
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Simple start, great story. Which station set is the single sided platform at Marlington from?
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Actually I didn't realise that I've made a mistake with the station. It's US Station Set and I used half of it. It's actually meant to be a 2-platform thingy. I have the correct setting later.
Any dream worth having,

Return to “Screenshots”