[OTTD] Two5Kid's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

[OTTD] Two5Kid's Screenshots

Post by Two5Kid »

My first post and first thread after being inspired by the numerous screenshots available on this amazing forum.

Links
Italy - US Set
Germany - US Set
Network Suggestion - UKRS
Swiss - DBSetXL
Squares Scenario - UKRS
Short Game - Canadian Set
Model Railways - US Set
Muir Island Story - DBSetXL
Luck of the Irish - CanSet & UKRS
Mapleleaf - CanSet + Arctic
QuestraRail - CanSet (Diesel Era)
Peterborough Transport - Mac OTTD + CanSet
Jones & Co - CanSet
Parker & Co - UKRS
Dutch Colony Transport - Dutch Trainset
Adams & Co - NARS + Arctic

Basics
I’m using the Open TTD game with Mini Nightly r8236
Replacement Town for OTTD
HOVS UK Bus Set
US Train Set v0.86
NewShips
Industrial Stations v0.98
NewStations v0.42
Aegir Rural/City/Suburban/Freight Stations
Stolen Trees by SAC
Basetunnels
Viaducts
Generic Buffers
NewDepots v2.1

About The Game
Set on the fictional Italian island located just of the coast of mainland Italy
256 x 256 map made by myself
Sidestories are FICTIONAL
No competitors
No disasters
No vehicle breakdowns
Medium costs
£500,000 maximum loan
Fluctuating economy
Permissive local council

Cheats
PBS-enabled
Station ‘walking’ enabled
Station spread – 18
Bribing allowed
Raw industries allowed
Drive-thru bus/cargo stations
Steam on Electric Rails
Build on ‘Pause’ mode (for the WWII effects)

Description
Town name [Population (Year)]
Map directions – 11 o’clock (North), 8 o’clock (West), 2pm (East), 5pm (South)[/url]
Last edited by Two5Kid on 08 May 2009 11:05, edited 13 times in total.
Any dream worth having,
Is a dream worth fighting for!
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Background
It is 1935, a couple decades after the war that shook the whole of Europe. Progress is limited and the Italian government has just given up the rights to transport construction on a small island for sale to the highest bidder. Needless to say, I won the bid with a hefty sum of £5,000. A couple of weeks early in the year were spent traversing the entire island and checking in with the local councils.

First Foothold (1935-1937)
The town of Pratofieschi came up with a good report and the locality caught my eye. It was probably the only town without any raw material production and no secondary or tertiary industries. A sizable plot of land was bought and my first station came to fruition. A point to point train service was built between Pratofieschi and its nearest neighbour Cosenza. Unfortunately, due to poor finance management (I was juggling between managing a company and handling accounts), the platforms were built first before I found out that I didn’t have architects/money to design the stations. Drat!
Attachments
A Steel Interurban making a stop at the half-completed station
A Steel Interurban making a stop at the half-completed station
Pratofieschi Transport, 6th Jun 1935.png (72.73 KiB) Viewed 28086 times
The town of Cosenza and the home of Cosenza FC (Serie C1)
The town of Cosenza and the home of Cosenza FC (Serie C1)
Pratofieschi Transport, 7th Jun 1935.png (50.9 KiB) Viewed 28076 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Due to the war, there were plenty of unused trains ferrying artillery, soldiers and ammunitions left around. I bought a couple and refitted them with cushions and a fresh coat of paint. Voila! The Steel Interurban was born. Bus services were required to ferry passengers and to stimulate interest in travelling following the ‘stay at home’ mindset of the post-war era families.

With the service up and running, it was time to sit back and relax. Unfortunately, the service could only operate from 8am-2pm. This was due to the fact that the island was receiving most of the power supply from the mainland and this vital power was cut after 2pm and resumed at 8am the next day. I had to dig up the archives at the local library to look for possible coal seams or any whiff of failed coal mining projects.

Luckily, I found what I was looking for on the north-western side of the island, not one but two abandoned coal mines, located in between the towns of Belscuri and Calavento. I had a meeting with the mayor of both towns and in return for allowing tracks to be made; a place for the workers to stay had to be built (that’s the cargo bay you see next to the mine). This created an opening of 500 jobs for the people from both locales.

Now that the island has solved its power generating woes, it was time for me to expand my initial passenger service to the east. As with the previous 2 train stations, I’ve decided to stick with plain platforms. People are beginning to get used to the ‘stationless’ platforms. So the Steel Interurban is currently ferrying passengers from Cosenza to Boscoventoso via Pratofieschi and generating a healthy profit.
Attachments
2 M1a ‘Mountain’ waiting at the slopes of Mt Belscuri
2 M1a ‘Mountain’ waiting at the slopes of Mt Belscuri
Pratofieschi Transport, 3rd Aug 1935.png (51.02 KiB) Viewed 28060 times
Just under £10K per trip, my cash cow for the early years
Just under £10K per trip, my cash cow for the early years
Pratofieschi Transport, 20th Jun 1935.png (40.86 KiB) Viewed 28061 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Within a year, I’ve managed to get the power station up and running, transferring passengers to and fro from 3 towns. Not too bad. With good response from the public, I opened up another line, this time between 2 football mad towns next to each other -Poggio Torrefonte and Fiumete nel Tanaro. Due to the good reliability of the refurbished Steel Interurban, I have decided to stick to it and ordered for a couple more to be sent over to the island. Business was exceptionally good on matchdays. In return for my services, both towns agreed to construct a power station for future purposes.

Sidestory: The town of Poggio is locally famous for its culinary delights, lying close to the sea, seafood is the main course. During my time there, I’ve got to know a local entrepreneur who was keen on promoting Poggio to the world. After savouring his food, I plopped down £100,000 as an investment. Currently, they have 30 branches in America alone. (http://www.poggiotrattoria.com)

Speaking about food, it was time for the island to be self-sufficient. First of all, we have to open up a route to the vast farmlands on the north-eastern shore, near the town of Serraversiere. Lucky for me, it was just an extension of the Poggio-Fiumete line. No extra costs for the train, just construction of the now famous ‘stationless’ look.
Attachments
The Steel Interurban ‘peeking’ through the forest
The Steel Interurban ‘peeking’ through the forest
Pratofieschi Transport, 30th Dec 1935.png (72.48 KiB) Viewed 28013 times
Regional soccer rivals and the newly constructed Fiumete Power Station
Regional soccer rivals and the newly constructed Fiumete Power Station
Pratofieschi Transport, 3rd Jan 1936.png (55.82 KiB) Viewed 28028 times
Home to farmers
Home to farmers
Pratofieschi Transport, 4th Jun 1936.png (40.03 KiB) Viewed 28031 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Work on the massive farm project ‘Podere Grande’ commenced in the middle of 1936, all the way up till early 1937. During this time, my company was busy hiring new staffs to fill up the posts. One of the employees was the son of a train manufacturer and with his help; I was able to purchase a couple of M1a ‘Mountains’ and refitted them with livestock wagons and grain hoppers. The amount of food/goods produced by these 3 farms could feed 10 towns; however, most towns do not have the capability to handle the amount of products generated. Two larger towns – Pratofieschi [3,702 (1937)] and Fiumebreve el Tanaro [2,839 (1937)] were identified to be the secondary base for food/goods handling before delivering to the outlying smaller towns.

In order for Fiumebreve el Tanaro to be able to receive the goods, the town has to be expanded. The best way is via a commuter service, passengers could travel from villages to the town to work. Goods could also be transported vice versa. If you could still remember (or you have eagle eyes), Fiumebreve is the home of the initial power station, so electricity is not a problem here. I had a choice of 2 towns to connect, in the end I chose the one which could be connected via flat land – Capoverde Ticino.

Sidestory: Turns out to be that Capoverde has a closely guarded secret -- the land around it is very fertile. I invited a few researchers of herbs and plants over and thus, the beginnings of herbalogy and aromatherapy was born on the island. (http://www.capoverde.com)
Attachments
‘Podere Grande’ – Cargo bays are necessary to transport the farm products to the station
‘Podere Grande’ – Cargo bays are necessary to transport the farm products to the station
Pratofieschi Transport, 27th Apr 1937.png (83.95 KiB) Viewed 27949 times
Land on the east was bought for the freight station
Land on the east was bought for the freight station
Pratofieschi Transport, 27th Aug 1937.png (69.61 KiB) Viewed 27960 times
Capoverde – ‘Green hands’. Nice name for a town surrounded by trees
Capoverde – ‘Green hands’. Nice name for a town surrounded by trees
Pratofieschi Transport, 1st Sep 1937.png (83.34 KiB) Viewed 27997 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

With 3 sides of the island under my transport company’s guidance, it was time to explore the eastern side and home of AC Ortoferro, the island’s only football team in the Serie A. Another Steel Interurban was put to good use, ferrying passengers from Ortoferro to L’Aquila, another town famous for its sport, this time – rugby. With lush flat lands, L’Aquila was soon populated by would be farmers, mostly from Ortoferro.

End of 1935-1937
Attachments
Note the small income; passengers are travelling to L’Aquila, not from
Note the small income; passengers are travelling to L’Aquila, not from
Pratofieschi Transport, 18th Oct 1937.png (54.73 KiB) Viewed 27913 times
New farmland and note the expansion currently in progress at the rugby stadium
New farmland and note the expansion currently in progress at the rugby stadium
Pratofieschi Transport, 2nd Nov 1937.png (43 KiB) Viewed 27924 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Pre War Era Expansion (1938-1939)
With 4 Steel Interurbans connecting 10 towns and 6 M1a ‘Mountains’ providing the freight transportation, profits were at an all-time high and this just coming after 3 years in the business. Well, a lack of competition could be the key factor here. It was time for mass producing goods/food to be sold to the regional market. First off, transporting the materials to the larger towns identified previously.

Sidenote: Noticed the church in the village of Asti? That’s the great Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta (built in the 13th century). (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti)

Now that the food/goods industry is in place, it was time for some expansion to the present train services. Starting with the initial line at Pratofieschi [3,756 (1938)], I’ve doubled the tracks serving it and bought another Steel Interurban to complement the first train. This meant that I could divide the line into two, with 3 towns (Pietraversa-Cosenza-Pratofieschi) being served on the western bound train and another 3 (Pratofieschi-Boscoventoso-Palmasetta) on the east. A network is slowing being put into place.
Attachments
2 K4 ‘Pacifics’, one going to Civitaferro Factory from Fiumebreve, the other going towards Pratofieschi; meeting each other at Asti Slidings
2 K4 ‘Pacifics’, one going to Civitaferro Factory from Fiumebreve, the other going towards Pratofieschi; meeting each other at Asti Slidings
Pratofieschi Transport, 13th Mar 1938.png (28.56 KiB) Viewed 27783 times
The benefits of ‘station walking’, one large station divided into 3 parts. Note the K4 ‘Pacific’ steamer waiting to send the goods to the towns
The benefits of ‘station walking’, one large station divided into 3 parts. Note the K4 ‘Pacific’ steamer waiting to send the goods to the towns
Pratofieschi Transport, 28th Feb 1938.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 27799 times
Any dream worth having,
Dave

Post by Dave »

Interesting pictures. Kudos.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Continuation
Attachments
The town was placed on stone hard granite, Pietraversa – ‘Pouring stone’
The town was placed on stone hard granite, Pietraversa – ‘Pouring stone’
Pratofieschi Transport, 18th Mar 1938.png (39.83 KiB) Viewed 27748 times
The famous Palmasetta Football Academy lies here
The famous Palmasetta Football Academy lies here
Pratofieschi Transport, 17th Mar 1938.png (38.49 KiB) Viewed 27761 times
437 passengers waiting in line for the trains
437 passengers waiting in line for the trains
Pratofieschi Transport, 16th Mar 1938.png (64.71 KiB) Viewed 27778 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

*Thanks Dave Worley! I'm trying to present a better layout in my next game. Will finish posting some more pics of this old game

Another major train service to get its extension was the Fiumebreve line. The long neglected coalminers at Calavento would finally be connected. All it takes is an hour and £12, to spend their money at the famous fashion houses in Fiumebreve.

Before you know it 1939 is here. More major extensions were in progress, most notably around the region of Poggio on the northern side of the island. Poggio Torrefonte has just opened its new extra platform and Steel Interurban, servicing the western route of Poggio-Fiumete-Brescia. While the old Interurban services the Poggio-Serraversiere-Fontanabreve eastern route.

Sidenote: The town of Brescia is a tourist hotspot, and probably the only one on the island. It is famous for its Piazza della Loggia, Duomo Vecchio and the Broletto.

End of 1938-1939
Attachments
Yet another ‘stationless’ look
Yet another ‘stationless’ look
Pratofieschi Transport, 10th July 1939.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 27711 times
Just outside the stadium lies the famous Duomo Vecchio, a stone’s throw away from the station
Just outside the stadium lies the famous Duomo Vecchio, a stone’s throw away from the station
Pratofieschi Transport, 5th Jun 1939.png (43.51 KiB) Viewed 27720 times
What? No football stadium?
What? No football stadium?
Pratofieschi Transport, 5th May 1939.png (46.13 KiB) Viewed 27737 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

World War II (1940-1945)

In the early days of the war, the island inhabitants weren’t affected from it but my company was. The public went back to their ‘stay at home’ mindset and others fled to the surrounding villages for fear of aerial bombings over the larger towns. The first thing to affect us was the shortage of food. Trading with the mainland was halted for fear of submarine attacks and most of the food available was gobbled up by the Italian National Army. We had our ‘Podere Grande’ but it was not enough to feed the island, time for ‘Podere Grande Secundo’.

The farmers at L’Aquila who were impressed with ‘Podere Grande’ and had started their business back in late 1937, were the beneficiaries this time around. However, there was actually a land shortage in L’Aquila due to the local council’s Tax-free Farmland Act 1937. And we were forced to place the produce complex in Catania, supported by a fleet of trucks from the respective farmers in L’Aquila.

This second project took us a year, luckily, I started in 1939, so by the time Italy joined the war in June 1940, the trains were running. A local train manufacturer (a number of them opened branches on the island once they knew I was interested in locomotives) offered me 2 new Class 3900 ‘Challengers’ for use. It was an offer too good to refuse.

The latter part of the year was spent creating new frieghtlines between the factory, Ortoferro [3,377 (1940)] and Poggio Torrefonte [4,103 (1940)]. As usual, the larger towns would receive the goods/food and in turn, market it out to the outlying towns and villages. Upon hearing that a rival manufacturer has just provided steamers for my grain and livestock locos, another manufacturer donated the locos (Class F ‘Berkshire’) for my freighters. This healthy rivalry was due to the fact that economy on the mainland was down for the duration of the war; here was the only place where it was still safe.

The war finally took its toll on my company. The Italian Government contacted me with a job, the National Army requires steel for the full duration of the war, and I was ordered to provide it. Italian surveyors came over to the island and found 2 iron ore seams near Mt Belscuri. Go to work! The Italian Government ordered. Thus the iron ore line was started and was fully functioning at the end of 1941.
Attachments
Two sides of Mt Belscuri
Two sides of Mt Belscuri
Pratofieschi Transport, 6th Sep 1941.png (37.09 KiB) Viewed 27688 times
A Berkshire and a Challenger leaving Palmasetta East station
A Berkshire and a Challenger leaving Palmasetta East station
Pratofieschi Transport, 8th Mar 1941.png (37.85 KiB) Viewed 27697 times
There are 3 Farms in the picture
There are 3 Farms in the picture
Pratofieschi Transport, 18th May 1940.png (55.34 KiB) Viewed 27715 times
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Sidenote: You would probably think that the war did not affect me the way it should, but here are a few classic excerpts. 1942 would always be remembered as the year that our island came under the influence of the war. We were under threat from aerial bombings and sabotages, one such incident finally claimed the lives of Pratofieschi Transport’s employees. Early in the year, we were running low on staff as most were being drafted into the war. Most of the destruction caused by the war was left in disrepair. The Civitaferro-Pratofieschi service was the most affected as it carried food supplies and goods. On the fateful day of 27th July 1942, sabotagers rewired the traffic system manning the single line; both train drivers were unaware of each other as one was just coming up a slope while the other was on its way down. Boom!

That was the only case that resulted in casualties. Previously, our passenger services came under artillery fire. And we managed to stop another Steel Interurban in time before the Resistance sabotaged the tracks. All in all, 1942 was a bad year for the train services, and it nearly brought my company to the brink of bankruptcy. But, due to the innovation of one of my loyal employees, we were about to embarked on another different journey.

Edit: Felt that the game wasn't too realistic, started another new one. I'll be posting 'skrinsauts' of the new game later.
Attachments
Don’t press the button. Which one, this? Kaboom! Arrgh! You nitwit!
Don’t press the button. Which one, this? Kaboom! Arrgh! You nitwit!
Pratofieschi Transport, 18th Apr 1942.png (12.82 KiB) Viewed 27649 times
Kaboom! Drat! Missed again!
Kaboom! Drat! Missed again!
Pratofieschi Transport, 30th Mar 1942.png (22.22 KiB) Viewed 27670 times
The brown areas were bombed early in the year
The brown areas were bombed early in the year
Pratofieschi Transport, 27th Jul 1942.png (21.06 KiB) Viewed 27676 times
Any dream worth having,
Dave

Post by Dave »

Woo! Now these - these are really creative!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Saw the title, with the random capitalisation, and nearly wet myself - imagining some crazy, mad-hatters game of OTTD that makes me want to pull my eyeballs out and sit on them.

I LOVE your screenshots! They are really quite good, and I have never seen such good shots with the US Set. At least, not recently.

I'm subscribing to this thread for sure :D. Some very nice OTTD shots, I look forward to updates!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Thanks for the compliments, Raichase. Coming from the master of posting screenshots (17-18 pages), you'll be having a competitor from now on. Haha!

Actually, I was 'forced' to use the US Set, after reading your Network OT guide. I was wondering how you managed to start a network with no industries if you were using the UKRS. They have high running costs. Luckily, I (You) found the US set with its Doodlebugs, Interurbans that come at half-price, making life much more easier.

Regrettably, the above game was a little bit unrealistic. I'm not from a 'railroad as a primary transport' country so bare with me in my next few games with regards to the 'realism'. I'll try my best to bring realistic junctions and train combos into my game.

But you and the rest of the crew here will be seeing more of the other sets (if they are compatible with OTTD) soon. My next game is based in Germany but as with the UKRS set, the DBSet is waaay to pricey, so I reverted to the US Set (yet again).
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Sneak Preview!

Post by Two5Kid »

Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping for a continuation of the previous story. The more I played it, the more I found that it was unrealistic. Roll-on roll-off stations are good but this is not how it works in real life. It is time I forsake monetary gains for the nitty-gritty of real life trains.

As with the previous game, I’ve retained most of the GRFs available. The setting of the scenario is in Germany. There is no WWI or WWII in my scenario; everyone lived in peace and harmony. Being a native (fiction) of the motherland, I’ve decide to put my exquisite micro-managing skills to good use.

Background:
The year is 1935; most of the cities on the map are still small and underdeveloped. Primary industries are still not connected to their related secondary industries, poor supply due to mismanagement and the lack of a cohesive transport system. I started off with £200,000 allocated by the German Transportation Board for my managerial purposes.

Aim: A self-sufficient network
Deadline: 2 years
Attachments
How it all looked – 18 months into the game (sneak preview)
How it all looked – 18 months into the game (sneak preview)
Essen Transport, 23rd Oct 1936.png (14.09 KiB) Viewed 27516 times
Any dream worth having,
LilDood
Director
Director

Post by LilDood »

/me bookmarks the thread

Absoloutley BRILLIANT i really like the artillery and the sabotage!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Nice screenshots. (I like anyone who uses my depots ;)).

Two questions,
1) why do you use those massive empty concourses next to the platforms? Why not just build the platform closer to the town?
2) why do you electrify your lines if only steamers use them?

Also, I suggest you rename your topic, some people who will appreciate these are probably avoiding it because of it's quite frankly silly title. Raichase mentioned it but it is a bit easier on the eyes if it isn't in Upper and Lower case simultaneously. Cheers.

Keep up the good work ;)
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

*Lil Dood: Thanks for the comments, the wonderful artillery and sabotage was brought to you by the little cheat of 'Build while in pause mode'.

*Ameecher: Seriously? The title sounds a bit dodgy? Haha! Guess I'll conform with everybody's wishes and change it to the rather formal 'Screenshots'. No fancy thingamajig.

Q1: I started quite early in the game and at that time, the NewStations set probably had 4-5 different types of stations, not really diversified yet. So I planned to wait it out and build them later. I want the stations to have platforms of their own, much like in real life. I rarely do see the train station right in the middle of 2 tracks. Well, you'll get to see what I mean in my future screenshots. (Note the proper spelling)

Q2: That's a little pet peeve of mine, which was a bit unrealistic I might add. Ha! I really got tired of switching from normal tracks to electrifying them later in the game (in my previous games). Sometimes a piece of the track fails to electrify and it took me a year or two to realize it. But for my next game, I've decided to stick with realism. No more steamers on electric! I promise.
Any dream worth having,
Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

Unlike in the previous games, I always started with the Passenger services first, then followed by whichever industry which are near to each other and easily accessible. For this scenario, I decided to throw the formbook out of the window, and started with a pair of Class M1a ‘Mountain’ steamers transporting wood from Essen Forest. The town of Essen was chosen for its uniqueness – ‘primary’ industries. Besides the forest, there is the Essen Farm and Essen Coal Mine. According to my surveyors/accountants, these 3 industries would generate enough income for my network empire.

Surprisingly, the people of Essen are of the hardworking type, within a year, they have managed to fill up all the vacancies at the Essen Forest and Essen Coalmine. The company required the help from the neighbouring town of Steinfurt to provide the manpower for Essen Farm. But before we could do so, we need to facilitate easy movement between the 2 towns. A Doodlebug was brought in for that particular purpose and within 2 years, we have successfully negotiated our first hurdle.
Attachments
The 2 towns that became the foundation for my transport empire
The 2 towns that became the foundation for my transport empire
Essen Transport, 2nd Nov 1936.png (63.09 KiB) Viewed 27423 times
The misnamed station – Essen Woods for the Essen Coalmine
The misnamed station – Essen Woods for the Essen Coalmine
Essen Transport, 30th Oct 1936.png (71.27 KiB) Viewed 27444 times
See? No more roll-on, roll-off stations
See? No more roll-on, roll-off stations
Essen Transport, 31st Oct 1936.png (71.7 KiB) Viewed 27456 times
Any dream worth having,