[OTTD] MaxArt's categorized random screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] MaxArt's categorized random screenshots

Post by MaxArt »

Ok, even if I'm not new to TT, I'm pretty new to OpenTTD and all the patches around. In fact, I'm currently playing the "plain" version of OTTD... But whatever. Certain problems and situations never change. I think :oops:

I'm currently playing a simple, random temperate scenario. No "enemies", yet, since I re-started playing TT only 3 weeks ago, and on the other hand AI is not a real challenge... :roll: I was just practicing to get used to railroad structures again.

Anyway, here's my screenshots thread.
1) Junctions
2) Station configurations
3) Problems and solutions
4) Interesting, funny and other screenshots

Note: my trains run on left. Road vehicles on right.
Last edited by MaxArt on 11 Dec 2006 01:37, edited 2 times in total.
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

1) Junctions

Post by MaxArt »

Various types of junctions, not present on "The Junctionairy"

X-Junctions
Personally, I think that cloverleaves work just fine. It seems my trains never get lost because of that type of junction. Plus, it's quite compact, only 10x10 tiles. However, it's quite slow, and boring to build.
Here are my alternatives.

1) 14x14 "complete" X-junction:
Pros
- Trains don't turn left to turn right (and viceversa)
- Faster connections (no tight 270° turns)
- Can handle a good load of traffic
Cons
- Quite large and expensive
- Can't make a tunnel version (or, it has to be larger), and those bridges become slow with maglevs

2) 10x10 incomplete X-junction:
Pros
- Quite small
- Trains don't turn left to turn right (and viceversa)
- Faster connections (no tight 270° turns)
Cons
- Incomplete: trains from NW (SE) can't go SW (NE)
- Can't make a tunnel version (or, it has to be larger), and those bridges become slow with maglevs. At least, you can change those two consecutives bridges with a longer one when tubular bridges become available

T-Junctions
T-junctions are the most common things you have to face when you build a new station and you have to connect it with the rest of your network. However, sometimes space is very limited, or the junctions are actually Y-shaped, or F-shaped or whatever.

1) Compact half-interfering T-junction:
I use this junction a lot. You can use a bridge version of that, making it more compact and saving some work too, but you may want to place more signals on the tracks.
Pros
- Quite compact. Useful when you have no space on the other side (as in the screenshot)
- Can handle a medium amount of traffic
Cons
- Half-interfering: don't put it too near to terminus stations or other junctions, it may easily cause traffic jams
- This tunnel version takes some additional work on the other track

2) Y-junction
This is common when you have a straight line, but then you want to connect it to another part of your network, and want this connection to be your "main" line.
Pros
- Fast enough. Ideal when a smaller amount of traffic comes from SW (i.e., from a single station)
- The main line is optimal
Cons
- Quite large

3) Two versions of a Y-junction
Want to connect your brand new line to a couple of diagonal tracks? These are the schemes I use. The above one is better for longer trains, since they would stay longer on that annoying 90° turn of the second version.
Pros
- Quite compact, since it's complete
Cons
- Quite large anyway. You may want to use a basic "raw" connection if it's not too near to stations and the traffic isn't too heavy
Last edited by MaxArt on 10 Dec 2006 23:47, edited 4 times in total.
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

2) Station configurations

Post by MaxArt »

Stations configurations

1) Inline station
RoRo stations are effective when dealing with a great number of trains, but they're good when they're on the edge of the map, but what happens when they're not, and you foresee to bring stuff from everywhere? A waste of space and time, I tell you! This is my solution to save some.
As you can see, trains can easily go back to where they came from, and passing-by trains don't enter in the station.
Pros
- It can handle many trains at once
- Fast station
Cons
- Takes some work to expand

2) Inline station with long exits
This one is a modified version of the above configuration, allowing long exits and thus preventing many traffic jams. Too bad you can't always foresee if your station is going to take much traffic, since this version is quite large to build... Click on the thumbnail to see.
Last edited by MaxArt on 11 Dec 2006 00:37, edited 2 times in total.
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

3) Problems and solutions

Post by MaxArt »

Problems and solutions

Sorry for the maglev rails, I know they're not very clear.
Attachments
3) Near Benevento, 2040<br />Originally, this was a pretty common 6-platform inline station (see screenshot on the post about stations), but it wasn't enough. Not even with the 7th platform. Not even with long exits. I had to make long entrances too, and add a
3) Near Benevento, 2040
Originally, this was a pretty common 6-platform inline station (see screenshot on the post about stations), but it wasn't enough. Not even with the 7th platform. Not even with long exits. I had to make long entrances too, and add a
ttycoon-benevento-2040.png (557.61 KiB) Viewed 636 times
2) Castelpoli, 2040<br />Another pretty crowded station. Things are even worse here, because of the factory in the South, which receives steel, grain and livestock. Traffic jams are frequent here, but things improved a lot when I added the 8th platform on the
2) Castelpoli, 2040
Another pretty crowded station. Things are even worse here, because of the factory in the South, which receives steel, grain and livestock. Traffic jams are frequent here, but things improved a lot when I added the 8th platform on the
ttycoon-castelpoli-2040.png (681.37 KiB) Viewed 637 times
1) Genova, 2040<br />Pretty crowded terminus station. Things got worse when I built that international airport next to the 4x7-station, and then I add to add 2 platforms more to deal the traffic from NE, and finally 2 more on the SW, making the whole station q
1) Genova, 2040
Pretty crowded terminus station. Things got worse when I built that international airport next to the 4x7-station, and then I add to add 2 platforms more to deal the traffic from NE, and finally 2 more on the SW, making the whole station q
ttycoon-genova-2040.png (674.66 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Last edited by MaxArt on 11 Dec 2006 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

4) Interesting, funny and other screenshots

Post by MaxArt »

Interesting, funny and other screenshots
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 4) Interesting, funny and other screenshots

Post by ISA »

MaxArt wrote:Stations configurations
MaxArt wrote:Problems and solutions
MaxArt wrote:Interesting, funny and other screenshots
But where are they? Dont spam!
Use [edit] button!
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MaxArt »

ISA wrote:
MaxArt wrote:Stations configurations
MaxArt wrote:Problems and solutions
MaxArt wrote:Interesting, funny and other screenshots
But where are they? Dont spam!
Use [edit] button!
I am :roll:
Give me some time!
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

I have seen this before :P
look here :wink: http://www.transporttycoon.net/junctions
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
MaxArt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MaxArt »

Yes, Zimmlock. And kudos for your work, it's very useful. I just wanted to add some junctions that are not present in your collection (yet? ;)).
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

ISA wrote:But where are they? Dont spam!
He wasn't spamming, they were placeholders, as you can have only 3 attachments per post.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Born Acorn wrote:
ISA wrote:But where are they? Dont spam!
He wasn't spamming, they were placeholders, as you can have only 3 attachments per post.
Yes now I see it. But first it seems like spamming :P So sorry if I rush! And nice screenes!

Return to “Screenshots”