[TTDP/OTTD] Ameecher's Screenshots

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [TTDP/OTTD] Ameecher's Screenshots

Post by jvassie »

That was very satisfying to watch!

Is the rest of the layout mocked for the purposes of the demonstration and testing or do the various lines lead to other stations?
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

There's a Y shaped network based around this junction with a few random branches. It's quite satisfying planning services based on space. Got to redo the timetable now though because I've just introduced BR103s and they catch up the ET-30s on locals far too quickly. I've done a bit of 4 tracking but trying to keep the infrastructure as minimal as possible.

I'll add pictures later once it is all flowing nicely again.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Ok this was slower than anticipated but here you go...

I forgot that I had music playing while recording and again, can't be bothered to edit...

And some screenshots:
Attachments
Waldwald Transport, 17th Feb 2191.png
(1.14 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Waldwald Transport, 2nd Feb 2191.png
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Waldwald Transport, 29th Jan 2191.png
(1.14 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

How long does it take you to get things running as smoothly as that? I'm kinda jealous. Looks really nice ^^;
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pyoro wrote:How long does it take you to get things running as smoothly as that? I'm kinda jealous. Looks really nice ^^;
Ages. I work on the principal of an 8 day base timetable with most groups of trains operating at 24 or 48 day intervals then once I've got one spine of that running I then set up the first of the second routing with a blank timetable and auto-fill it with me manually stopping it where I need to to allow trains to overtake or pass a junction, in extreme cases I do impose speed limits but that depends if I have built enough waypoints in to the order schedule to allow me to slow trains down when approaching conflict points. Then when I'm happy with one order set I clone the trains and then set them off at 24 or 48 day intervals and see how they interact, in some cases this goes wrong and the cause ugly clashes around junctions, this means I either need to re-time the trains or alter the intervals (e.g. those wood trains in that last video have a timetable of 240 days but don't operate at 120 day intervals but 96 & 144 so that they don't clash on a single line section.

The only trains I don't have operating on factors of 24 are another area of the network which is pretty independent which runs on a base 10 timetable but I plan to switch it to base 24 when I upgrade the rolling stock because I have some freight I want to shoe-horn in and that crosses over to that section.

In the case of the above video the BR101s on the express services are actually run at intervals of 8 & 16 days, this allows me to run more trains into a terminus station non-stop, my fast services basically follow two routes, Bielebach - Bammund (1 in 3 trains) and Bielebach to Oldenheim (2 in 3 trains), this gives me a nice even 8 day spacing on the approach to the terminus but also a nice long gap on the double track sections to fit slower trains in - it's called flighting in real life and nicely allows you to get more trains on a track at maximum speed.

General rules I stick by, for reliability I have found the closest you can reliably run a stopping service is 8 days apart (slightly closer if using BR420s due to decreased dwell and rapid acceleration but since they share routes with other trains it's easier to keep them at 8 days apart), non-stop services can go 4 days apart provided that when they stop there is a second platform available for the following train, this means on a 2 track line you need 4 platforms at every station if all trains are to stop.
Freight I try and operate on a 240 base timetable so that I have a reasonable chance of routing them through - I timetable a lot of stops in those because if the freight isn't full it runs a lot faster so I need it to arrive early and wait for it's proper slot at some locations otherwise it can bollocks it all up - going A to B without instructions to wait at B, C, D & E and it can turn up very early when a track isn't free and the whole timetable unravels. Also important to try and give all your trains plenty of recovery time (I aim for twice the headway at at least one end of the journey and if possible a few extra days en-route too).

In short, ages, I've got a bus sat in a depot that is over a 1000 years old... The cheat back to a year function got used a lot and nearly bankrupt me when I forgot to turn off inflation, once I turned that off I could eventually start to buy trains again.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Damn. Should have known there was no substitute for hard work and guts, but that really sounds like a lot of work. Sigh. I'll probably give it a try nonetheless.

One day.

Maybe.

On something simple.

Possibly.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

That's certainly impressive! I don't think I'd have the patience to set all that up in the game!

Return to “Screenshots”