[TTDP/OTTD] Raichase's Official Screenshot Thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [TTDP/OTTD] Raichase's Official Screenshot Thread

Post by petert »

Roujin wrote:I don't know what kind of problems you might have with it.. I just compile it or download one of your binaries, and start my game with the default settings - works nicely out of the box. Sure, there are a whole bunch of options, but why be bothered with them if it just works fine?
The settings confuse me very much when starting a new game, I should probably read the wiki though.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I've done so much with this game, but I don't seem to remember how I used to post massive screenshot epics, so you'll have to be content with these:
Accsay Bridge Transport, 4th Sep 1968.png
Accsay Bridge Transport, 4th Sep 1968.png (285.83 KiB) Viewed 482 times
This the Tottenham Freight Yard as of 1968. The grain sidings are fed by 20 road vehicles, and trains arrive to cart the grain to two different destinations across the map - two long (500t of grain each) trains take most of the grain to a cereal factory in the centre of the map (we're in the western corner at the moment), while a shorter (300t) train also takes grain to a small brewery towards the northern centre of the map. Thanks to cargo dist, it mostly balances out how much grain goes where, and there doesn't seem to be any major over/under supply at the sidings.

The oil siding is fed by trucks from a local well, and the oil is transported to a large inland refinery in the centre of the map by a single train. Sadly, because I am playing with PBI, which DBXL doesn't work with, I can't transport the fuel oil from the refinery to the various fuel depots around the world, but thems the breaks!

The large goods yard is under utilised at the moment, with a single steel train arriving from a steel mill nearby (see below), to the factory. It is planned to rail haul the finished product from the factory to various towns around the world.
Accsay Bridge Transport, 6th Sep 1968.png
Accsay Bridge Transport, 6th Sep 1968.png (195.04 KiB) Viewed 482 times
This is the passenger station. The through platforms are the local lines, which normally run at capacity between here and the next station (Churchill). The terminus platforms are used by the long distance trains, which as I have already mentioned, have limits placed on where they can set down passengers.
Accsay Bridge Transport, 21st Jul 1968.png
(350.14 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Churchill. The very mention of this area sends me into the foetal position, racked with sobs and shivers. If anywhere on the network has had the most attention, it has been here. 23 out of the 36 trains I own stop here for one reason or another.

Long distance trains use the platforms to the right of the main station, outbound trains from Liverpool (usually full of passengers from Liverpool and Parramatta) will only stop here to pick up passengers. Such is demand on the network to go to intercity locations (be it the forests of Alamein, or the beaches of Williamstown) that these trains will not convey local traffic from Liverpool to Churchill (they used to, but then they would leave a lot of long distance passengers behind!)

As the long distance tracks and platform were built AFTER the suburban network, they are fairly straightforward. The local lines (left and centre platforms) have been there since the beginning of the network, and they have been altered and upgraded many times over the years. The line to the north travels to Sydenham or Laverton via Werribee, and is still unelectrified*. The line to the north west travels to Appleton (see below), and has been electrified since the line was extended from Churchill. In fact, the line to Appleton is the only reason that long distance trains still stop here, as Churchill is where passengers from Appleton can change to intercity trains. If intercity services did not stop here at all, passengers from Appleton would have to change at Liverpool, and then those same trains wouldn't be able to take passengers from Churchill - they would already be full!

Going under the local line junction are the freight lines, which used to join up to the line to the north until only five years ago, when it was seperated completely, to avoid the long detour via Weribee.

Confused yet? How do you think I feel! :x

* This is because Laverton is a mess that needs sorting out pre electrification and increase of train services. I don't have the time or the motivation to do that, as I've only covered about two thirds of the map so far (it is a 512x512 map).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Accsay Bridge Transport, 26th Aug 1968.png
Accsay Bridge Transport, 26th Aug 1968.png (216.63 KiB) Viewed 482 times
After Churchhill, the next station on the Intercity services is Yarraville. Most Intercity services stop here, those that don't stop at Churchill and Sunbury (stations on either side to Yarraville), so passengers can interchange there. Eventually it is planned to have Intercity trains bypass Yarraville altogether, and have an interchange with local services at Sunbury (which is also an important junction station, at the junction of three lines).

The steel to Tottenham Factory also comes from here, with coal and iron being railed from across the map.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Nice Shots. Looks like theres a lot of expansion on the cards from all the bought land
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Pookey wrote:Nice Shots. Looks like theres a lot of expansion on the cards from all the bought land
Indeed - I'm planning to send the suburban trains in here to stop, and perhaps terminate, if I can't get the land I need at Sunbury.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Now that it's 1970, and all but one of my passenger routes has been built, I can work on replacing some of the steam-era rolling stock still bumping around on the network :|

First target was the aging fleet of ET87 EMUs. Numbering a total of 8, split into four 3-car sets, these were purchased for the opening of the Appleton line (see below) for the steep grades down to the coast. With the ET-30 avaliable, there was no need to keep using the older units, so they were replaced by the much faster ET-30. Here are a couple of screenshots of them before they were replaced.

As promised, a bit on Appleton - Positioned between the cliffs and the coast, this would always be a difficult prospect to provide with public transport, although it has always been a desirable location to visit (from a business point of view) as the townsfolk are quite wealthy, and will often travel abroad for holidays, or even for work! As many residents choose to live in the seaside town but work in the larger locales of Churchill, Liverpool and Parramatta, Appleton is a very busy location for the local trains. Also present is a bus service that cuts across to Werribee and Laverton, saving passengers for these destinations from having to change trains at Churchill. While the profits earned by the local buses are negligible, this is made up in having to buy fewer trains and congest the local network even further!
Attachments
A 6-car set departing Parramatta Station, bound for Appleton via Liverpool and Churchill.
A 6-car set departing Parramatta Station, bound for Appleton via Liverpool and Churchill.
ABT1.png (59.09 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
Two more trains near Churchill Station
Two more trains near Churchill Station
ABT2.png (92.79 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
Nearing Appleton Station, also visible is one of their replacement trains!
Nearing Appleton Station, also visible is one of their replacement trains!
ImageImage
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Raichase wrote:
The oil siding is fed by trucks from a local well, and the oil is transported to a large inland refinery in the centre of the map by a single train. Sadly, because I am playing with PBI, which DBXL doesn't work with, I can't transport the fuel oil from the refinery to the various fuel depots around the world, but thems the breaks!
Use the ECS extension for DBXL. It works unless you are using the brick chain. Then you have problems.
And Yes, It will not mess up your existing game.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Comm Cody wrote:
Raichase wrote:
Use the ECS extension for DBXL. It works unless you are using the brick chain. Then you have problems.
And Yes, It will not mess up your existing game.
Excellent! Thankyou for that, where might I find it?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed the answer :)).
ImageImage
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Raichase wrote:
Comm Cody wrote:
Raichase wrote:
Excellent! Thankyou for that, where might I find it?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed the answer :)).
Google is always your best friend :]
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Map as of the 1970's.

I am taking requests for locations!
Attachments
The suburban/local passenger network
The suburban/local passenger network
The whole world (more or less)
The whole world (more or less)
ImageImage
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Looking good! Here's hoping Cargodist makes 0.8.0.

Sticking with UKRSH rather than TaI UK Houses, I see? :P
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

PikkaBird wrote:Looking good! Here's hoping Cargodist makes 0.8.0.

I don't even know what the latter is! I am just using the graphics sets I used to have with TTDPatch :)).
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Some progress from the 80's. Getting really busy now, I'm losing track of everything! Next time I might play on a smaller map ;)
ABT6.png
Now that I can transport fuel oil (thanks Comm Cody for the heads up), the refinery at Darling has really kicked things up a notch. Crude oil is trucked in from a nearby lake (complete with oil refinery...), while crude oil is also railed in from the Liverpool area. The Liverpool area has gone through two oil wells already, both closing down within a couple of years of each other. Once the third closes down (ie runs out of oil), alternate sources will need to be found, either out at sea, or inland, to help the refinery keep up demand. Fuel oil is railed out of the refinery to both Liverpool and Balow (screenshots of both below). At Liverpool the fuel depot is next to the siding, but at Balow, some fuel is transferred to the depot, while some fuel is transferred onto another train to visit the Upfield or Williamstown Fuel Depots.
ABT7.png
Balow as it stands today. Still a very small destination for passengers, it is a very busy destination for freight. Note the new intermodal yard to the west of town, as well as the new fuel sidings in town itself. Containers are railed into the intermodal yard where the freight is unloaded and loaded into road vehicles to travel into Yarraville or Sunbury for sale.
ABT8.png
Sunbury as it appears today.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

ABT9.png
Yarraville is a constant source of headaches!
ABT10.png
The upgrades to Tottenham Yard are apparent with a single glance - not bad for a yard that started off a single track to allow a coal train to avoid pushing through Liverpool Station. The oil sidings are used to both load crude oil and unload fuel, going to/from the Darling Refinery. The goods sidings are used to unload logs and steel, and load containers full of consumer goods. The grain sidings continue to be supplied by local farms, sending their grain to both cereal factories and breweries across the world.
ImageImage
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Raichase wrote:

I don't even know what the latter is! I am just using the graphics sets I used to have with TTDPatch :)).
http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/index.p ... q=44442411 ^^; It seems not many people know of it / care for it, it rarely appears on lists of town building sets. :P I'll be the first to admit the highrise buildings could do with a little more graphical variety, but it's playable.

It's available from bananananas.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Wonderful sequences once again. The progression of the network and its stations over time is very well done.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Nice work again.

I'm using Cargodist as well, but few things bother me a bit.
As you describe, the pax numbers are just mental. On the old Cargodest pack, there was a setting to reduce that, which I found quite hand at later stages. Also, the fact that only 1 route is used to reach the destination, I don't like too much. But I guess that would make computing really heavy. I have been playing a couple of maps now, and after a while, cargodist seams to reach it's limits, and in later years it just crashes. I haven't found out the reason for it, yet.

Anyways. Nice network you've got going there. Keep them screenies posted.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

PikkaBird wrote:
Raichase wrote:

http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/index.p ... q=44442411 ^^; It seems not many people know of it / care for it, it rarely appears on lists of town building sets. :P I'll be the first to admit the highrise buildings could do with a little more graphical variety, but it's playable.

It's available from bananananas.
Consider it downloadeded'd. Will use it on my next game see how it goes. I like the thought of reducing the town size!
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Well, I got to 2000 before getting tired of this game. I would like to play on, but all the plates are wobbling at this stage, and I'm not sure I can be bothered investing the time and effort to fixing the niggling problems before they start to take down the network. As I've not played a proper game of TTD for a couple of years now, some observations are below:

1. OTTD seems to have quite a decent pathfinder, as my only lost trains where through my own doing, and even then they just parked themselves at a signal as if to remind me "oi, idiot, you're missing some OHW over there..."
2. Big maps are nice, but take a bit of getting used to in the early years of the game, although they provide far nicer open stretches than in normal TTD.
3. I have to play around more with this cargo distribution thing, I can see a LOT of potential for realistic operation of both freight and passenger trains - I think I hit the nail on the head with limited places where trains can unload passengers, to ensure that only long distance passengers are using the train, to prevent them from getting clogged up with local passengers.
4. Cities grow faster than I remember, and I quickly had too many passengers and mail to move realistically. I don't like having 1000+ people waiting at a station from a town of 1100 people!
5. I still have a bit to remember about network building, but on the whole, things worked out quite well.

I think that's it. I'll keep the latest savegame in my folder, so if anyone wants screenshots from anywhere on the map that is not detailed below, please ask. If I wasn't busy doing so much, I would have liked to get some screenshots of some of the nice remote lines I built, along the seaside and whatnot.
Attachments
ABT16.png
ABT15.png
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Firstly, a shot of Parramatta today, complete with the airport line extension. This wasn't as good an idea as it sounds, as for some reason thousands of people want to go to the airport and no further, thus clogging the train up and leaving people behind who want to get on the plane. Next time I think I'll put the airport a bit further out of town, and run the trains on a dedicated line!
ABT17.png
Next up the Tottenham Freight Yard (which got busier, with four log trains now added to the mess), as well as the Liverpool Metro and Intercity platforms. I piled more trains onto the metro, and now it moves like custard... Perhaps one too many trains! At least it never jammed up completely... :oops:
ABT18.png
Churchill. I really wanted to add another two platforms on to the intercity side of the station, but never got around to it. Sometimes it jams up when something comes in to unload/load and then breaks down.
ABT11.png
ImageImage

Return to “Screenshots”