Installing RRT 3 on Windows Vista

Discuss the Railroad Tycoon series of games in this forum.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Installing RRT 3 on Windows Vista

Post by ostlandr »

I made a BIG mistake. I bought a new PC that came pre-loaded with Vista. Of course, it won't run anything, at least not without much difficulty and a patch from the developer. I can't get RRT 3 to run- the problem seems to be both the hardware accelerated sound (not supported by Vista) and that RRT 3 is looking for DirectX 7 and won't recognize DirectX 10.

Any ideas, gang? (Any that don't involve having to get past Bill Gates' bodyguards, that is.)

Next step is to buy a copy of WinXP so I can set up Virtual PC. Will let everybody know if this works.
Who is John Galt?
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Installing RRT 3 on Windows Vista

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

- open RRT3 folder
- open properites (right mouse->prosperites) of executable (exe file that runs the game)
- go to "compatibility" tab
- check "run this program in compatibility mode", select Win XP SP2

see if that helps

(I got Vista and everything works for me but I did not have a chance to test RRT3 since I do not like 3rd at all anyway)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

I have Vista HP, have you got v1.05 patch installed? IF SO, UNINSTALL IT! 1.04 works on Vista, but something went wrong in 1.05, and killed the compatibility
Hmm, what should I put here...
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Now that I have the second RC of Vista SP1 installed, I tried again to get RRT3 to run. I believe I have tried every compatibility setting with every different iteration of RT3 patch. Nada, zip, zilch.

Oh well. "Rails Across America" does run under Vista (at least the demo does) and the full version is only US $2.49 plus $3.99 S&H on Amazon.com. (just ordered it- not here yet.)
Not perfect, but much more of a spiritual successor to Sid Meyer's original Railroad Tycoon. Interesting that victory is based on "prestige" and not just net worth. Hey, I can finally keep retired locos in the yard until needed (or scrap them for cash). I can even hire managers to handle the details while I concentrate on Tycooning. If traffic drops, they park the extra locos, or order more from the factory if traffic picks up and the 'pool' is empty. The AIs seem pretty good, too- sabotage, stock raids, "safety inspections", investigations- that's what railroading is all about, right? :wink: Gonna go make another run at being first to build the Transcon.

One unrealistic thing- I get real-time info on cost per car/mile on each line, which is better info than real railroads get even today! 8)
Who is John Galt?
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

You are either terribly unlucky or you forgot to install the required directx/drivers (did you try installing DirectX 9?)

I've been using Vista for 1,5 years now and I've rarely found myself in a situation where it was impossible to get a piece of software running if it did run on Windows XP.
Of course the truly old software is a long shot because of all the changes in Vista, but even Monkey Island 1 runs here.

In fact most of the issues I've had with programs not running (which, as I said, are few) were caused more by the fact that I have a 64-bit OS or the fact that certain drivers were not yet compatible.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Oh yeah, have downloaded every driver/patch/hotfix I could find, including the latest version of DirectX 9.0. From some of what I've been able to pick up, Vista has issues with "older" games that use 3D sound. Uh- wait a minute. . . (goes looking for new sound card driver)

Sigh. . . updated the sound card driver twice (another half hour of messing with the PC rather than gaming) and zip. Still crashes after the load screen.
GoneWacko wrote:You are either terribly unlucky or you forgot to install the required directx/drivers (did you try installing DirectX 9?)

I've been using Vista for 1,5 years now and I've rarely found myself in a situation where it was impossible to get a piece of software running if it did run on Windows XP.
Of course the truly old software is a long shot because of all the changes in Vista, but even Monkey Island 1 runs here.

In fact most of the issues I've had with programs not running (which, as I said, are few) were caused more by the fact that I have a 64-bit OS or the fact that certain drivers were not yet compatible.
Who is John Galt?
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Got it!

Tried installing RRT3 on my daughter's laptop, and success! Running v1.06 with a bunch of custom content. Occasionally crashes to desktop, but with autosave on not a problem.

The issue must be with the hardware on the desktop, either the video or sound card.
Who is John Galt?
NorthernWarrior
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NorthernWarrior »

I have just tried to run RRT3 with the "Coast to Coast" update on the Vista laptop with the same results as above. Installs okay but on going to the loading screen crashes with a "must exit". I've posted on UKTS and Overclockers to see if anyone has come up with a solution.

One thing I read somewhere is that Windows Defender can cause conflict with some games?

What's ironic is that RRT2 Platinum actually works albeit stretched on the widescreen and the scrolling is a bit rapid.
NorthernWarrior
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NorthernWarrior »

Further to the above...

I have now got it working up to the 1.03 patch and that includes leaving UAC and Windows Defender on.

However if you try and install "Coast to Coast" 1.04 expansion or the 1.05 patch, it falls over again.

So all is not lost, at least I can still enjoy the bulk of the game, just not the extra scenarios in Coast to Coast and any final gameplay tweaks.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

I ran across that advice several places on the net. Didn't seem to apply to me- no matter what, the Vista desktop (Compaq Presario SR5130NX, AMD Athlon dua core, 1 gig RAM, NVidia GeForce 6150 SE vid card) won't run it. I wasted SO much time and effort on it it ain't funny.
But the household laptop runs it just fine, patched all the way up to the unofficial 1.06 version with all the custom content from H&BRR loaded.
NorthernWarrior wrote:Further to the above...

I have now got it working up to the 1.03 patch and that includes leaving UAC and Windows Defender on.

However if you try and install "Coast to Coast" 1.04 expansion or the 1.05 patch, it falls over again.

So all is not lost, at least I can still enjoy the bulk of the game, just not the extra scenarios in Coast to Coast and any final gameplay tweaks.
Who is John Galt?
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Solution found!

Check out this thread @ hawkdawg.com:

http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... a&start=30
ostlandr wrote:Did a clean install of RRT3 on the desktop off the CD, then installed the 1.04 beta patch from gamershell, ran it in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME (disable visual themes) with the " -s9" switch, and it works! Never seen RRT3 with the graphics set all the way up before- it's gorgeous!
Who is John Galt?

Return to “Railroad Tycoon Series”