The New RRT4

Discuss the Railroad Tycoon series of games in this forum.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Drahcroekim wrote:Apparantly, you drag the track, and it'll bend as required.
Isn't it the same in RRT3?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

ChrillDeVille wrote:
Drahcroekim wrote:Apparantly, you drag the track, and it'll bend as required.
Isn't it the same in RRT3?
Not exactly.

In RRT3, you have more control as to how the track curves.

In this new one, you have less control. I could be wrong, though.
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, in RRT3 you don't build piece by piece.. But in this new.. Is it perhaps that you choose from where to where and it generate the best route?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
The Fjonis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by The Fjonis »

So has any of you lucky Americans out ther gotten their hands on this gem yet? :D

I wonder why there are no reviews up yet though..
Jose
Director
Director

Post by Jose »

I am thinking about getting this, the only thing i dont like is being able to put together 4 locomotives with a consist of 50 wagons, i dont like short trains. :)
CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

yes I have and the game is called Sid Meier's Railroads
and not Railroad Tycoon 4.

thanks
Wensicia
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

CZAR ALEKSANDER wrote:yes I have and the game is called Sid Meier's Railroads
and not Railroad Tycoon 4.

thanks
Wensicia
I know that it isn't called RRT4. I was just using that as a topic name.

PaulaGreen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PaulaGreen »

Drahcroekim wrote:There's a new site: http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html

Apparantly, you drag the track, and it'll bend as required. Like the tool in Paint where you draw a line and it bends automatically, I guess.
I saw this video of the gameplay on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzyNA8FJGQ - it pretty much does what you say. It does look rather nice, I have to say.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Were can i get the specs for this game, im thinking about getting one imported to the UK. (apparantly the americans decided to have it first)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
davidpk212
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davidpk212 »

It's coming out in the UK on the 27th - 3 days time.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

With a demo around the same time, which is what I will play before making a decision.
PaulaGreen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PaulaGreen »

I found another video, this one just of the gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVjeQtE08Q - the real-time environment and rendering look very nice. I for one will definitely d/l the demo.
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

I'm definitely downloading a demo...but not necessarily buying it.

CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

hello all

that is really dumb Train-a-Mania just to download the demo and not buy the game, then at is really dumb do that just to get a game demo and not buy the game.
Czar Aleksander
of New Russian Empire
Princess Wensicia of Planet Corrino
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
Michael Olivarri
Tiania Cundiff
Dr. Serizawa
Dr. Emiko Yamane
Lady Elensh of Yedo Castle
Trelaina of the Planet Telzart
Lady Achika of the Planet Jurai
Lady Ayeka of the Planet Jurai
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Actually, downloading the demo and evaluating the game before you purchase it makes perfect sense, not stupid at all. Somebody may download the demo, find the game is a trivial piece of S*** and not want the full version. If they get the full version and find out it's crap, there's not many places that will allow you to return opened Software.

I'm leary of it, I'd download the demo and see, but until I see the demo, I won't commit to the full game.
pringles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pringles »

imo this game is very lacking, they went for a fast game style, which is fine and dandy and it is almost ok, it is even fun sometimes, but when the game ends you're just getting started. I've played some maps where I completed all the objectives and only connected 5 cities or so and 4 trains by the end, I really hope they release some larger maps, and ones without time constraints like the RRT3 maps.

Though, the devs do stress that this is /RAILROADS/ not /RAILROAD TYCOON/ and the game play is not meant to be similar, which is ... imho terrible as I thoroughly enjoyed RRT3.

The lack of most of the financial aspect is what kills me, no bonds, no margin trading. It was hard, but it made RRT more fun, RRT2 did it perfect with the ability to toggle expert and basic financial modeling, so when you wanted the extra stuff it was there, and when you didn't it was out of your way so to say.

There is also a patch made by some players to add Tenders to the trains for people who didn't want to play it because of that.

So I guess my basic idea is try the demo, definitely don't buy it yet if you really enjoy long games read: several day or even several hour games (eg TTD, or RRT2/3), or if you value re-playability. A dev posted some of this may change in later patches, but I'm highly doubtful saying as they cut something like tenders, which were already completely modeled they just didn't fix them up and add them, instead a player received the tender models and made a patch for it himself.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I've had games that lasted several hours, and continiued to be fun through the whole duration. I once had a game that lasted almost a whole day!

And as you said, Railroads is not RRT, do not expect it to have the same financial depth as it does. Railroads is more like a virtual model railway layout, rather than a complex financial simulation, latter wich isn't so enjoyable to the common joe. Railroads is fun, has gameplay wich keeps you concentrated for hours, and has received great review scores(Gamespot & IGN gave it a 8 ).

Atleast this time around the game has a good selection of both, European & American locomotives, i even seen a freight electric that looks bit like the GG1. Also trains can have multiple skins, each steamer i seen in the American climate has two, and the F Series diesel has 3 diffrent selectable skins(can vary train to train too).

There seems to be awful lot of RRT players who come around, expect Railroads to be a exact clone of RRT3 or RRT2 except with a shinier shell, and then whinge around when it isn't. If you want a another RRT3, you might aswell wait for the demo before buying, instead of going around complaining how it isn't a clone of your favourite RRT game.
PaulaGreen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PaulaGreen »

I agree with Akalamanaia - it seems a lot of people here just want to play RRT3, in which case why don't they carry on doing it. Sure SMR is different and has a simpler interface but it isn't pretending to be anythin else. Even though it looks very different I have still found it very challenging in its own way.
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

I've posted in another thread about the first impressions. Though, I've tried it a bit more, and damn. It's fun! :)

It's potential to become a really good RRT-successor, if they decide to release an expansion. An expansion with larger maps and longer playing time. And more goods + combinations. (Like you need ore and coal to make steel. And import goods plus steel to make automobiles). And larger stations. You learn how to use those three tracks wisely, but if you're going to make some points from the goals too, you have to make some layouts that is not optimal.

But now, it's just a fast paced game that has made me kill a lot of hours. Haven't tried the multiplayer, but I guess that will be a blast! :)
I'm lost in space. Visiting mother earth once in a while.
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

I have a feeling we will all buy it anyway, given we're suckers for this type of game :roll:

Demo? My PC just can't handle it. So i guess i will wait.

Return to “Railroad Tycoon Series”