Experienced C++ programmers wanted for Transport Empire

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Experienced C++ programmers wanted for Transport Empire

Post by Hyronymus »

There are many people enthusiastic about Transport Empire but so far we only have one core programmer and two programmers who want to help with certain parts of the project. We really need more programmers to make this project a success. Please take a look at the Transport Empire section at the bottom of the main page and get familiar with the plans. If you like it, you can contact ChrisCF for further details.

To all mods: this post was intentionally posted in General Tycoon section.
Last edited by Hyronymus on 14 Nov 2006 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hellfire asked me to put this here, I made it sticky so it won't dissapear
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Surely someone in this forum has a little skill and some time to spare ...
Rylix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rylix »

Time to spare: :)
Skill: :(
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Time to spare: yes, but real life may start getting in the way soon. OTOH, I seem to be aching for something else TT-related to do.
Skill[0]: writing very vertically terse, difficult to follow, C/C++ code.
Skill[1]: writing header files that do vastly different things depending on what's been #defined and/or how many times they've been #included.

It's been a very long time since I've been in the TEmpire forums, but maybe I should at least start poking around in there.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think we have to ask for coders again. Appearently our previous coders were so good that aliens abducted them. Or they lost their connection to internet, either way.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Hyronymus wrote:I think we have to ask for coders again. Appearently our previous coders were so good that aliens abducted them. Or they lost their connection to internet, either way.
Or got dissolutioned because of the attitude of the lead coder.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What do you mean, DS?
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Hyronymus wrote:What do you mean, DS?
I mean that I for one was disinclined to do any work because of a few things about uzurpator, such as putting down any idea that wasn't his own.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That indeed was an issue on several occasions. Now he seems to have let down the entire project.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

DominionSpy wrote:I mean that I for one was disinclined to do any work because of a few things about uzurpator, such as putting down any idea that wasn't his own.
Sounds familiar. :)

You still have access to the Coders' forum, so why don't you try to discuss with me there? I'm open to ideas and while uzur is not around, we can do whatever we want. Oh, and I try to actually post code so others can work with it. ;)
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Breeze646
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Breeze646 »

Yes old and I dunno if you found anyone but,

Time to spare: Plenty except summer because my parents always go on trips.

Having Transport Empire: Nope

Skill: None
Image I like Articulated Buses or Streetcars (Although I really like anything with wheels including planes, Thanks to Seelenquell for making Toronto's ALRV and CLRV for Locomotion. All we need now is a TTC D40LF and D60LF to go with the LRVs. Plus the Scarborough RT vehicles too.)
Resion for the LRV's is to make a good alternative to buses. Visit Here for more info.

Breeze's Bus Shop *Opening Soon*
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You got no experience/knowledge of programming or something else whatsoever?

EDIT: You even have no skills? Come on, you must be good at something...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Breeze646
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Breeze646 »

Is making paperbuses skill?

I got loads of that :D

But I have skill editing vehicles on loco like spec wise.
I haven't ever edited the visual look of it.

Other then that I have nothing.

Only program thing I know is the Editing the Vehicles on Locomotion.
Image I like Articulated Buses or Streetcars (Although I really like anything with wheels including planes, Thanks to Seelenquell for making Toronto's ALRV and CLRV for Locomotion. All we need now is a TTC D40LF and D60LF to go with the LRVs. Plus the Scarborough RT vehicles too.)
Resion for the LRV's is to make a good alternative to buses. Visit Here for more info.

Breeze's Bus Shop *Opening Soon*
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm inclined to judge this as spamming, Breeze646. By asking for people who do have relavent experience we tried to keep people with no relavent experience from replying. We thought that would be crystal clear but appearently it's not for everyone. Please do not reply to topics you really have nothing to add to.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

By asking for people who do have relavent experience we tried to keep people with no relavent experience from replying
But then how do you get experience in the first place?
It's like job hunting - almost every job I see says "X years experience needed". How do you get it in the first place?

Say I wanted to offer my services to this project (I don't, other things are in the way - this is hypothetical), I have years of experience with PHP programming, but my C++ is limited to a few "hello world" programs and I still havn't figured out what good classes are for (in either PHP or c++). Would I be in-eligible because I was unexperienced at C++? Obivously I'd be willing to learn it if I were to put my name down.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

When we decided to recruit experienced programmers we inherently decided that Transport Empire isn't going to be a learn-how-to-code project. If you want to join the team then you already need to know how to code. Where you get that experience is the least of my concern, frankly.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I'd say just join the team as non-coder and try to get to see some code work and try to learn from it. I'm quite sure people really trying to learn coding are welcome, although we won't count on you as coder from the start. As TE is opensourced (IIRC), it shouldn't be too hard to see some code. If the code writer uses comments in his code, it's somewhat easier.
Hyro wrote:Where you get that experience is the least of my concern, frankly.
Kinda harsh Hyro, this is a hobby-project, not a real job... Although there's some truth in it.

I'm quite sure a start of getting experience can be made by searching online tutorials. Then there's one of those TO-DO thingies in TE, which you might try to work on.

Note that I'm only speaking from what I think and what I know; I'm not a coder myself.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It's harsh, I know but this is what you need if you do want TE to be marginally feasible. It's not exactly a charity project.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

It's harsh, I know but this is what you need if you do want TE to be marginally feasible. It's not exactly a charity project.
Oh but it is. At least anyone who contributes won't be getting any monetary gain from it, and for that matter (unlike most charities) won't really be bettering the "human condition" either.

Don't forget there are dozens of other OS games out there that want experienced coders, and you're in competition against them for a limited resource.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”