FAQ, please read if you're new to Transport Empire

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

FAQ, please read if you're new to Transport Empire

Post by ChrisCF »

What's it called?
Currently, it is keeping the working title Transport Empire. This is subject to change ("a rose by any other name", etc.), but it's more important to get the project back off the ground than decide on a new name. Maybe later ;)

Who's it for?
It will be for those that want a game like TT, but without some of the annoying limitations (some of which even The Patch cannot get around), and with a slightly better degree of 3D. It is designed to be a completely customisable, extensible TT-like game.

Why not just change TT(D)?
We don't have the source code. OpenTTD is a (currently flaky) port, and TTDPatch has to work around the game's existing limitations.

Where can I get it?
No real codebase exists yet (only some old stuff for reference - it doesn't build on anything), so you'll have to keep waiting. Feel free to chip in, though.

When do you think this game will be released?
We think it will be released when it is released, and no sooner. Though you will be able to check out the source from CVS (remember the lag in anonymous CVS) - as soon as there is some source of which to speak.

I have an idea!
Really? Just make sure nobody else has had it first. We are currently writing the design document, so we're more or less on an idea freeze. But if you have an idea, you still can post to the ideas topic.

What platforms will it support?
Any platform where we can build it. The intention is to avoid platform-specific stuff in the code to allow it to be as portable as possible. As a guide, the current project leader uses Linux, so it will work on that at least :)

What will the viewpoint be?
The game will be 3D, with a 3D engine. It will use object models instead of sprites. The suggestions include using fixed default viewpoints, but with optional freedom of movement. Fixed viewpoints are useful to return to when you end up wondering what the hell you're looking at :)

What will the graphics be like?
The visuals will hopefully be original. Using 3D models with rendered textures also allows units to be repainted, for different liveries, or to create subtle differences for units which look similar to each other.

What will the pathfinding be like for trains?
Not quite like TT, in that trains won't get lost. :)

Will the game be easy to add-on to?
The game is being designed to be as extensible as possible. Basically, the intention is that everything can be changed, and individual parameters tuned.

What climates will there be?
Whatever people want. Initially temperate, to get the game working. Tropical and sub-arctic are good candidates for inclusion, though (as said before) we hope to make the game moddable enough for people to just add in new game types as appropriate.

Can we go multiplayer?
Yes, definitely. Theory is that we don't set a limit on the number of players, though more investigation is needed.

What vehicles will be in the game?
Everything will be customisable, so you'll be able to include what you like.

Is there a website for this game?
Besides here, not really. We do have a wiki in which we store our documents.

When will the website at tt2.sourceforge.net be ready?
When it's ready, and not before.

Who is the leader of this project?
There are 2 leaders at the moment: Hyronymus and Steve. They are co-ordinating the project.

Who is programming it?
Right now there is no programming going on, we are currently in the state of writing the Design Document.

I want to help!
Please contact Hyronymus and Steve by Private Message or email (see their profile). You can also introduce yourself to the forums in a new topic and tell us about stuff you can do. It'll likely go from there.

What languages will it be available in?
Convention is to use (English) English in the code, with message catalogs for other languages. Other languages depend on people contributing translations for them, but you can translate, we're more than happy to accept the results.

What programming languages are being used?
So far, C++. Time to dig up the book if you haven't already :)

Under what licence will the game be released?
Most likely GPL, unless someone has a better way of stopping people from ripping us off commercially, and keeping the project in the open.

What about AI?
We don't know yet, so don't ask.
Last edited by ChrisCF on 26 Apr 2004 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I've got a question, will you be able to lay tracks in any direction you want, or only under a certain corner like now in TTD?
garethppls
Engineer
Engineer

Q: About multiplayer

Post by garethppls »

will it be a lobby style system where you can host and join & chat or a crappy one like ttd
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

It will certainly not be as crappy as TTD ;)

One of the latest topics is about the system, feel free to join the discussion, I "suggestion about tempire (asked)" topic.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Regular thread prune, 12/07/2004
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Needs update:

1. I have an idea!
2. Is there a website for this game?

Suggestion on new answers:

1. We are currently writing the design document (oh well will soon), so we're more or less on an idea freeze. Altroght you still can post to http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9079

2. Shall we mention the wiki maybe?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

@zuu: Both sound fine.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

zuu wrote:Needs update:
I've added your updates to the first post.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

what is the starting/ending date of the game??

i hope its from 1850.
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Unspecified. It's not an important detail. 1850 is a possiblity, but 500 b.c. is also possible. It's just a matter of creating graphics sets and setting some parameters.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

well then add the ability to start at year -350 millions then you can add your own graphic and details.

just incase if people wanted to make some alien missions...
well i suggest adding full liberty to dates.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Functional Requirements/Core Features @ our wiki wrote:Limits

To make the game engine as flexible as possible, hard limits for data structures will far exceed practical limits.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

Can i help? i might be a webhost but i can still prgram
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What experience in programming or such (or any other useful things) do you have?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

iHave a bit of experiencr in Ogre3d and am learning c++ as i go along (my knlage is quite good )

Topic locked, the FAQ has been rewritten and merged with the Importan Links topic to form the Important links and FAQ topic (09112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”