[RFD] SVN Tagging

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] SVN Tagging

Post by DominionSpy »

I mentioned in the meeting about tagging files on the SVN repository.

At my work we have a system of tagging based on release versions (tagging every file with the version number at time of release) and also tagging based on bugs and features.
Every bug report and feature request is given a unique identifier and when a commit is made for one of them, the related files are tagged with the identifier.
This means that it is easy to see what files have been changed for a specific bug or feature and to look up for which bug or feature a change was made.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Maybe I'm misreading this, but you seem to be under the impression that SVN provides an independent version number for each file. This is not so. The repository as a whole has a single revision number, and that one number specifies the state of every single file in the repository.

Also, tags are nothing more or less than complete copies of any directory tree, eg the tree rooted at /trunk/, /branch/2.5/, or /branches/0.4/.
In fact, for all svn/svnserve/&c. cares, tags and branches are exactly identical. The only difference is that the humans never modify tags after they are created, while they do modify branches.

The standard method of marking a change that fixes a bug is to include something like "Fix FS #105" in the commit message. Or, possibly "Partially fix FS #105. $FOO and $BAR are fixed, but $BAZ is still an issue."
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

Okay I've just looked it up on the web. At work we use CVS, where tags are simply labels attached to one revision of single or multiple files, whereas I understand it, tagging in SVN actually makes a separate copy of the files.

I didn't realise that there was this difference between the two. So my idea makes no sense now.

Topic locked, nothing to discuss further (19112006).
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”